Mobiles

Old Jul 27th 2003, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobiles

Hi

We want to get a mobile phone as soon as we arrive in Brisbane- and we assume this will have to be a pre- pay, at least at first.

Does anyone know if this will be a problem since we only intend booking a hotel for a week or two at most, and then plan to go touring for several weeks and this means we obviously wont have a permanent address?

Also anyone know what the charges are per minute for Aussie calls and calls back to U.K.

Thanks

Alex
Old Jul 27th 2003, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobiles

I think you will probably be looking at mega bucks to phone back to the UK via mobile. When my hubby and I went to the states we flew with Virgin and got given this phone card that you could set up with a credit card and phone back via a toll free number Im sure that you could do this in OZ.... didn't cost loads either. Lots of companies do them and you can use them whereever you are.

http://www.aussiephonecards.com.au/

cheers

mich
Old Jul 27th 2003, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

edwin is an unknown quantity at this point

i bought a mobile pre-paid in dec last year,130 $ and (included 100 $ on my account) ,calls to Holland were about 0.70$ /min..I wa staying @ a hotel and just gave them that adress,all you need is a creditcard and a passport.Aussie calls were very cheap,think it was 22-25 cent's per call during down hours.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 8:37 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

I believe you can but a starter kit for around $30 as long as your UK phone has been unlocked. The people we are renting a house off for the first month has bought a kit ready for us so that I could give friends/family a contact number for once we arrive.

Dawn
Old Jul 27th 2003, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Virgin Mobile in Oz. It is cheaper to phone the UK than anyone in Oz. I think it was less than A$1 per minute to call home.

Ken
Old Jul 27th 2003, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

If you already have a handset then just get yourself a PAYG SIM-only deal. There are plenty in Australia. I went with Vodafone. They all cost pretty much the same which is pretty expensive compared to the UK. Vodafone claim to be the cheapest at a whopping 60c per minute for the cheapest calls. In Australia nobody will give you monthly account unless you can prove you have a job. A million dollars in the bank is useless; a job cleaning the local pub toilets and you're fine.

As for calls to the UK. Just get a phone card. They are all over the place and are very very cheap. I pay just 4c a minute to call the UK. Try here