Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phones UK vs Oz

Mobile Phones UK vs Oz

Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Derek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura about
Default Mobile Phones UK vs Oz

just a quick one.

My 2 children are looking at Mobile phones (12 and 13 years old) Should we get them in the UK and get a new sim in Oz (they have pay as you go) or should we get them at the airport, Manchester, Singapore or wait to we get to Oz.

Thanks.

Derek
Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:33 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phones UK vs Oz

Originally Posted by Derek Clarke
My 2 children are looking at Mobile phones (12 and 13 years old) Should we get them in the UK and get a new sim in Oz (they have pay as you go) or should we get them at the airport, Manchester, Singapore or wait to we get to Oz.
Price-wise there isn't much difference I don't think but if you buy them in Oz, it will be easier to sort out warranty issues, rather than having to send them back to the UK!!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

If you bring them from the UK:

1) They will be locked to UK issued SIMs. You can get the phone unlocked for about $30. This is the case with most UK phones.
2) The charger will have a UK plug on it and it will be a molded charger unit and you will have to use it with a UK adapter as you cannot change the plug.
3) As said in previous post, if the phone goes wrong, it is harder to get the manufacturer to sort it out, although I understand that they should.

Personally I'd wait until you get here.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:36 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

pay-as-you-go (known as prepaid over here) phones are cheap as chips in australia. buy them here.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Derek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura about

Thanks,

Will get them from Oz.

Derek
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i agree I would buy them here. They even sell them at the post office here.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Grassface is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally think they are cheaper in OZ. I got a nice Siemens C60 colour screen, polyphonic phone from Harvey Norman for $99!

But, go on Vodafone!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:14 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grassface
I personally think they are cheaper in OZ. I got a nice Siemens C60 colour screen, polyphonic phone from Harvey Norman for $99!

But, go on Vodafone!

we got our kids a sony ericsson colour flip fone each for christmas $129 each (£50 ish)...... with virgin mobile..... mainly for keep in touch purposes.... bonus text messages only cost 5 cents per text with other virgin mobiles

oh and it came with $20 free credit and also as it was xmas a spare sim card with $20 cred on it....

boomie
Old Jun 15th 2005, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

peelatata is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coulterk
If you bring them from the UK:

1) They will be locked to UK issued SIMs. You can get the phone unlocked for about $30. This is the case with most UK phones.
2) The charger will have a UK plug on it and it will be a molded charger unit and you will have to use it with a UK adapter as you cannot change the plug.
3) As said in previous post, if the phone goes wrong, it is harder to get the manufacturer to sort it out, although I understand that they should.

Personally I'd wait until you get here.
If you have a nokia phone, unlock for free at http://unlock.nokiafree.org/
Worked for me