Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phones....is it true that.........?

Mobile Phones....is it true that.........?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:28 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile Phones....is it true that.........?

....that you cant transfer your pay as you go number to a contract in Oz?

I'm arriving 1st December and will need a phone as soon as - but probably wont be able to get a contract phone as wont have proof of address for a month or so. So been looking at Pay As You Go's - but would want to transfer number to a contract once I get settled. My sister says and I quote "silly aussie rules say you cant".

Is it true? Will I have to swop numbers? Can I get a contract (or deal were I dont have to swop numbers) before I have proof of residential address?

Oh the trauma of it all!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mobile Phones....is it true that.........?

Originally Posted by ponyrama

I'm arriving 1st December and will need a phone as soon as - but probably wont be able to get a contract phone as wont have proof of address for a month or so. So been looking at Pay As You Go's - but would want to transfer number to a contract once I get settled. My sister says and I quote "silly aussie rules say you cant".

Is it true? Will I have to swop numbers? Can I get a contract (or deal were I dont have to swop numbers) before I have proof of residential address?

Oh the trauma of it all!
yes you can port your pay as you go number to any network

Last edited by robert cowan; Oct 20th 2008 at 7:41 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:06 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the trauma of it all!
Of course you can. The number is yours. You can port it even if it is a prepaid moving to a contract. Tell your sister "silly people who dont know what they are talking about should check before opening mouths"
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:11 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Of course you can. The number is yours. You can port it even if it is a prepaid moving to a contract. Tell your sister "silly people who dont know what they are talking about should check before opening mouths"
I will. I never believe owt she tells me anyway! Cheers!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

when you choose a network check out same network or best firned calls. The calls here are expensive - very - even on contract. It cost us a bomb the first few months.

But most networks allow you a best friend you can call free or calls to same network are free (eg virgin). Very handy when checking in with OH re rentals, new purchases, jobs etc etc
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:27 am
beach bum

Originally Posted by Safin
when you choose a network check out same network or best firned calls. The calls here are expensive - very - even on contract. It cost us a bomb the first few months.

But most networks allow you a best friend you can call free or calls to same network are free (eg virgin). Very handy when checking in with OH re rentals, new purchases, jobs etc etc

.......or for keeping in touch with your cleaner?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the trauma of it all!
Untrue - you can port numbers whereever you decide to go with.....I hve done it atleast 4 times now..
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:14 am
beach bum

Originally Posted by E3only
Untrue - you can port numbers whereever you decide to go with.....I hve done it atleast 4 times now..

My sister makes things up. Thats why I thought best to check here!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

My sister makes things up. Thats why I thought best to check here!
The stuff my wife comes up with - LOL....women are crazy !!