Mobile Phones

Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice
Default Mobile Phones

I ve got another question sorry

I read alot of the threads that are on here i especially enjoy the ones where people have recently moved out to Aus and give the run down on the events. The thing is alot of people talk about getting new mobile phones on Pay As You Talk , but do you have to buy new, can you not just bring your phone from UK and put a new Sim card in???
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:13 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mobile Phones

Originally Posted by ormrod7
I ve got another question sorry

I read alot of the threads that are on here i especially enjoy the ones where people have recently moved out to Aus and give the run down on the events. The thing is alot of people talk about getting new mobile phones on Pay As You Talk , but do you have to buy new, can you not just bring your phone from UK and put a new Sim card in???
You can bring the phone but you generally have to get it unlocked first which will cost you between £10 and £20. Try a sim card from a different operator in it to see if it is unlocked already (unlikely these days).
Hope that helps
Martyn
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:43 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tin
You can bring the phone but you generally have to get it unlocked first which will cost you between £10 and £20. Try a sim card from a different operator in it to see if it is unlocked already (unlikely these days).
Hope that helps
Martyn
Whats the best network to go with in Oz,and as we bought moblies in UK sim free,i take it they should be ok to use once we get a new sim card.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

You can buy Oz sim cards here on the internet for Optus and Telstra and they include some minutes. I thought it would be quite a good idea then if there are companies that you need to give contact details to like Shipping company etc, you can give them the mobile number from this end before you leave. It may work out a bit more expensive though. I have seen them for around £20 I think for pay as you go.

I would also be interested out of Telstra and Optus, which one is the better choice for either network coverage and price wise for topping up the card once there.

Cheers
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

I ended up using a vodafone sim card from Oz, in a sim free phone from UK whilst in Oz with no problems.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:28 pm
of THFC

Flossie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tin
Hope that helps
Martyn
you can usually unlock your phone for free.....just look it up on the internet!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 4:51 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Poppy
You can buy Oz sim cards here on the internet for Optus and Telstra and they include some minutes. I thought it would be quite a good idea then if there are companies that you need to give contact details to like Shipping company etc, you can give them the mobile number from this end before you leave. It may work out a bit more expensive though. I have seen them for around £20 I think for pay as you go.

I would also be interested out of Telstra and Optus, which one is the better choice for either network coverage and price wise for topping up the card once there.

Cheers
Thanks Poppy.will look into that.