mobile phones

Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

luverly is on a distinguished road
Default mobile phones

does anyone have information about mobile phones in Oz ? Is it worthwhile having my wee nokia unlocked and buying a new sim card when i get there or do you need a triband phone as someone keeps trying to tell me ?
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:43 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mobile phones

Originally Posted by luverly
does anyone have information about mobile phones in Oz ? Is it worthwhile having my wee nokia unlocked and buying a new sim card when i get there or do you need a triband phone as someone keeps trying to tell me ?
I've just bought Motorola V600 which is quad band. Should work over there OK.

Don't think a tri band will work, think only covers europe and USA but could be wrong.

D D
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:48 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Tri-band and quad band are unnecessary for Australia/NZ
They will work on dual band
Tri-band includes US
Quad band is a gimic - allegedly gives better coverage of S. America
Dual band also covers all Asian/African countries EXCEPT Japan and Korea who have their own system!

This is for sure as I travel a lot with my (dual band) phone to those countries!!

Andrew
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

thank you thank you thank you

Just out of curiosity, Andrew which part of Ireland are you living in ? I grew up in the North and live in Glasgow now.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:09 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Just out of curiosity, Andrew which part of Ireland are you living in ? I grew up in the North and live in Glasgow now.
Ive got loads of Relatives in the North, around Coleraine but I'm Scottish now living in Melbourne.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:11 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andrew63
Tri-band and quad band are unnecessary for Australia/NZ
They will work on dual band
Tri-band includes US
Quad band is a gimic - allegedly gives better coverage of S. America
Dual band also covers all Asian/African countries EXCEPT Japan and Korea who have their own system!

This is for sure as I travel a lot with my (dual band) phone to those countries!!

Andrew
Yep my Dual band works in Australia However the digital network does not cover all the country (purely because of it's vast size) If you are goin to b living in a city I would recomend getting your dual band unlocked (do this in the Uk at a market or something as it is very expensive to get done in australia)

The mobile telephone system in Australia is nowhere near as cheap as it is in the UK, it is actually cheaper to go pay as you go, if you sign up for a network contract, many of which are for 2 years you have to pay the price of your phone off in monthly instalments during the 2 years.

if you buy a phone for pay as you go it is cheaper then if you go on contract and the you juts top it up. If you really want to go on contract then you can buy a phone pay as you go then use it for a month and then go on to contract, as you own the phone you only need to sign up and dont have to pay the phone off over the period of your contract

If you are goin to be slightly out of the city then you will need a CDMA phone, it has more coverage than a normal digital phone but it is still not as good as the coverage we get in the UK. A CDMA phone works on a completely different system, does not use a SIM card as it has an internal card of some kind and you cannot get one in the UK.

Cheers
Kala
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:13 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the Sunny South (Gorey, Co. Wexford). Where men are men and the sheep are worried!

Andrew
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

I lived just outside Belfast near Carrickfergus until i was 19 and have been living in Glasgow ever since, Bordy - whereabouts in Scotland are u from ?
Sounds like you are the right person to give me advice about moving from Scotland to Melbourne ! What was it that made you move out there ?
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:41 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I lived just outside Belfast near Carrickfergus until i was 19 and have been living in Glasgow ever since, Bordy - whereabouts in Scotland are u from ?
Sounds like you are the right person to give me advice about moving from Scotland to Melbourne ! What was it that made you move out there ?
I lived in Selkirk in the Borders. Got made redundant when company closed down so came out to Melbourne for a wee holiday on my own & loved it.
Job prospects were pretty poor Borders so we decided to move to Melbourne, wife was a nurse so made things easier.

Thats the diluted version but if you need any advice help, just ask. I might not know but I'll try & find out for you.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

LauranJ is on a distinguished road

When I was there last year, I got a pay as you go sim card (vodafone) for about $30(ish) and found the calls back to UK were fairly reasonable.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

fanta67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright hen