Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone to take to Oz - what did you do

Mobile Phone to take to Oz - what did you do

Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:51 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile Phone to take to Oz - what did you do

Did anyone take their mobile with them to oz? Was it worth your while or is it simply worth getting a new phone in oz?

If you did take your phone, did you get it unlocked?

Do you recommend any brands or specs to look at it it is worth taking a phone when I move

thanks in anticipation of your response..,
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phone to take to Oz - what did you do

Whilst we were on holiday we took our Nokia phones and got a free Vodafone sim from www.movingplanet.com, they also come with $30 of credit free
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:05 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Did anyone take their mobile with them to oz? Was it worth your while or is it simply worth getting a new phone in oz?

Do you recommend any brands or specs to look at it it is worth taking a phone when I move

We took our UK vodaphones and bought an Oz sim card... Calls (in 2003) were 10 minutes for $3

Cheers
Ginny
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:14 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Mobile Phone to take to Oz - what did you do

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Whilst we were on holiday we took our Nokia phones and got a free Vodafone sim from www.movingplanet.com, they also come with $30 of credit free
What year did you go on holiday and have you looked at this site lately!

R.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:08 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
We made sure our phones were unlocked and bought Optus SIM cards when we got here.
The card (plan) I have is called Turbo Charge and cost $30 and you get $120 credit. The $120 credit will roll over to the next month if you don't use it, but you will need to put another $30 onto the card if you want to keep it.
The 2nd $30 will give you ANOTHER $120 credit.... and so on, until you get to $500 credit which is the max. ($50 will give you $250 credit!)

My wife is also on Optus, but her plan gives her 300 mins every month to call other Optus mobiles for free. The free mins last a couple of months (I think), so she calls me all the time for free.
I use my phone quite a lot, I call the UK often for short calls and it only ever costs $30 per month, which I think is good. I have thought about other network providers, but this is working out good value for money.
http://www.optus.com.au

Regards
Neil.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:18 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

If your phone's fairly new then it's definitely worth taking - as long as you get it unlocked it'll work fine. Then you just ditch your old UK sim and get yourself a new one from Vodafone, Virgin, Optus, AAPT or any of the other large telecoms companies and off you go.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
What year did you go on holiday and have you looked at this site lately!

R.
Sorry, I was having a bit of a blonde moment, website is http://www.movingplanet.com.au/drive...page=main/home

BTW we went on holiday last year!!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:14 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Took my UK nokia to Oz, paid $25 to have it unblocked, then brought pay as you go sim card for $25 that had $25 of calls on with no monthly charges.

It costs £10 to get unblocked in London which is cheaper but did not know that at the time.

I was only there 4 2 weeks so pay as you go was best for me.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:33 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

I bought a new one here because my UK one was old and as heavy as a housebrick! Was only $99 for a pay as you go nokia. My hubby, however, had an expensive phone from the UK so he got his unlocked and just bought a new SIM when he got here. Don't pay to get them unlocked though. There is a website that gives you the instructions for free. Can't find it at the mo, but will look for it.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

hi
i took my phone over to oz my advice is get it unlocked before you come and buy a new sim card, dont think they are cheaper in oz because they are not if you are stopping in dubai buy one there as they are dirt cheap
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:51 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

I took my motorola v600 with me i didn't get it unlocked as i was already using a different network sim in it anyway so thought i wouldn't need to. arrived in sydney on the friday and on the sat went out and bought a vodaphone prepaid sim put it in my phone and away i went was simple. but i would recommend you check whether your phone needs to be unlocked before you arrive as it is cheaper in the Uk.

poshrice
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

A businessman sitting next to me (in economy!) once told me when he gets off at Melbourne he goes to the duty free before customs and baggage and buys a prepaid phone of the same kind as he uses in the UK for $99 or less and he carries a charged battery with him. Sure enough, there he was next to me waiting for the bags, taking the phone out of the box, putting in the battery and making his first calls.

OzTennis