Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone Sim cards for Pay As You Go in Oz

Mobile Phone Sim cards for Pay As You Go in Oz

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

danbushell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile Phone Sim cards for Pay As You Go in Oz

My parents are going to Oz for 4 months in November-flying into Cairns.
what reccomendations do you have for a PAYG sim?
my mum is bringing an unlocke Blackberry with her and will need a package where she can access e-mails on it.
also is there an Australian equivalent of Carphone Warehouse/Phones 4 U in Cairns?
thanks
Dan

Last edited by danbushell; Oct 3rd 2013 at 10:58 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

glenn_downunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobile Phone Sim cards for Pay As You Go in Oz

Amaysim is decent, $40 a month unlimited (they use Telstra or Optus network). Aldi and Red bull mobile are the same, all have 3-4gb data allowance as well as unlimited calls and texts
Old Oct 4th 2013, 12:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

You are basically likely to need something on the Optus network, since the UK standard is 900Mhz (same as Optus) whereas Telstra are on their own weird frequencies. You might have a new enough phone that it has both on 3G, but don't hold your your breadth.

Optus are less good than Telstra in the sticks.

I'd personally go for one of the MVNOs on the Optus network - there are quite a few around, with a plan than includes enough data to be useful.

BTW PAYG is called Pre-Paid in Oz, and you need ID/address to buy a SIM card.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

When I went to Melbourne earlier this year I bought a sim card through Lebara mobile before I went and so as soon as I arrived at the airport, I inserted the Oz sim card and was good to go in a minute. I have kept the sim card active by just topping it up every three months so that when I go back I have the same number and ease of use.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 10:11 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
When I went to Melbourne earlier this year I bought a sim card through Lebara mobile before I went and so as soon as I arrived at the airport, I inserted the Oz sim card and was good to go in a minute. I have kept the sim card active by just topping it up every three months so that when I go back I have the same number and ease of use.
AMAYSIM
http://www.amaysim.com.au/
Old Oct 7th 2013, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Comparison site
http://prepaidplans.com.au/
Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

If you want to you the Blackberry BISM service on PAYG then Telstra is your only option. None of the other carriers offer BISM on PAYG.