Reload this Page >

Mobile phone query

Mobile phone query

Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

natsind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile phone query

hi all

can we carry our current mobile phone to oz while migrating? I have nokia 6670. i also heard that, some mobiles are useless in oz as per oz standards and network systems.

so can you pls. tell us, which mobiles will be ok in oz? nokia, samsung, motorola or any other. also what will be charge for getting new sim card, monthly rent and calling rates.

thanks
nitu
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice
Default Re: Mobile phone query

Originally Posted by natsind
hi all

can we carry our current mobile phone to oz while migrating? I have nokia 6670. i also heard that, some mobiles are useless in oz as per oz standards and network systems.

so can you pls. tell us, which mobiles will be ok in oz? nokia, samsung, motorola or any other. also what will be charge for getting new sim card, monthly rent and calling rates.

thanks
nitu
As long as your phone is unlocked for any sim it will work here, (if not unlocked get it done in the uk at one of the markets for 10 pounds) Then just buy a pre paid when you get here $30 with $30 of calls no charge for the sim.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sims are only a few bucks. I'd love to know who goes around giving daft advice about stuff. I'm sure they dream things and then pass it on as fact
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:41 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sims are only a few bucks. I'd love to know who goes around giving daft advice about stuff. I'm sure they dream things and then pass it on as fact
Probably people the OP talked to who have never been and want to try and make out Oz is not all its cracked up to be
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:56 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Yes gsm 900 and 1800, and umts 2100 phones will work here if imported from elsewhere, just coverage will be poor outside urban areas. You wont be able to connect to Telstra Next-G and get the most coverage, as this is UMTS 850 and is for country areas.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

TinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really nice

Originally Posted by mark213
Yes gsm 900 and 1800, and umts 2100 phones will work here if imported from elsewhere, just coverage will be poor outside urban areas. You wont be able to connect to Telstra Next-G and get the most coverage, as this is UMTS 850 and is for country areas.
Blimey???!!
What does that mean to us technophobes?

I'll just get our phones unlocked and see what happens!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:02 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TinaandChris
Blimey???!!
What does that mean to us technophobes?

I'll just get our phones unlocked and see what happens!
uk phones will work - just not very well outside urban areas.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

But is'nt the OP from India, not the UK?

Generally, European models will work no problem, Some north american ones wont.

The rest of the world, I'm not sure.

Mikey
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:57 am
Back to WA! Yay!

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
But is'nt the OP from India, not the UK?

Generally, European models will work no problem, Some north american ones wont.

The rest of the world, I'm not sure.

Mikey
If its india and hes on TATA or Reliance - they are no good as they are CDMA. His handset is a 6670 - thats a GSM phone - so will work.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:46 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Well my old 6230i on Voda PAYG worked better here (north of Bunbury) better than my Telstra Blackberry 6100. But maybe we're not counted as rural?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:52 pm
ABCDiamond

hi all

thanks
nitu
They sell the Nokia 6670 here so it should be OK http://www.nokia.com.au/A4520464

SIM's start at $2 each from Woolworths and many other places.
There are thousands of different phone plans available, to suit almost every conceivable need.

I used http://www.trycktill.com/eng/ to unlock one of my phones.

Many mobiles are pretty useless out in the far outback, but in most normal areas, they all work similar'ish.

Old Nov 13th 2008, 11:23 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Well my old 6230i on Voda PAYG worked better here (north of Bunbury) better than my Telstra Blackberry 6100. But maybe we're not counted as rural?
Nope you are quite urban there :-) .. go inland slightly and Voda drops away quite significantly..... Blackberry is GSM as well, so will be using Telstra GSM. Telstra are investing in NextG technology and not GSM so its not suprising that in some areas Voda/Optus are better. Still saying that, I find Telstra has a better GSM coverage in country towns than Voda.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Im rural and can vouch that Telstra are the only reliable mobile at the moment.

We already found out before arrival, so bought new telstra mobiles in Perth.
However one teacher bought another provider sim, and after a couple of weeks found it was hopeless. Had to switch to Telstra.
Signal for other Australian providers can be poor or non existant in rural areas

If your planning on travelling about or living out of city areas go with Telstra mobile.

Gems