Mobile Phone

Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about
Default Mobile Phone

I have a Sony Ericsson on contract with o2 (UK) and want to use it when we're in Oz next year.

What do I need to do to get this working? Get it unlocked and buy a pay-as-you-go sim when we arrive?

If so, anyone know how to get a phone unlocked?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Inspector Taggart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobile Phone

Don't wait until you get to Australia.

I'd advise first chucking in a mate's Vodafone or other service providor SIM and seeing if it works in your handset. If it doesn't, contact O2 and ask for the unlock process and code.

You can get a Vodafone/ Optus SIM here in supermarkets for around $2.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Totally agree.

Getting a phone unlocked over here isn't as simple as the UK where every newsagent seems to offer the service for a fiver.

I found one place in Melbourne in the Dandenong hub - cost me $30 per phone - one of which subsequently wouldn't work. The other wouldn't accept anything but Telstra.

Either do it before you fly out, or ditch it and buy new.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys, only going for a holiday for now so no point buying a new one. Will give o2 a call tomorrow and try to get it unlocked - I guess this isn't free?

Is the top-up process the same if I buy a sim? Who's the best provider/coverage (we're staying in Hillarys)
Old Dec 1st 2010, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Inspector Taggart is an unknown quantity at this point

It will depend on your contract with O2. Each service provider behaves differently when it comes to unlocking but I would be surprised if it was locked and O2 wanted to charge you.

Coverage depends on geographical area. I’m in Melbourne so hopefully somebody else will let you know. Vodafone/ Optus are generally cheaper than Telstra, who own all the Telco infrastructure, similar to BT of the old days in the UK. Vodafone and Optus are generally good in metro areas but going more rural would give you issues.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by BudBrain
Thanks guys, only going for a holiday for now so no point buying a new one. Will give o2 a call tomorrow and try to get it unlocked - I guess this isn't free?

Is the top-up process the same if I buy a sim? Who's the best provider/coverage (we're staying in Hillarys)
go to your local market and get it unlocked if it is locked, then get the new sim when you are in australia try amaysim they use the optus network and are only 15cents per call per min.
link, http://www.amaysim.com.au/