Reload this Page >

Mobile Network - Best for Data

Mobile Network - Best for Data

Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

chrisall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile Network - Best for Data

Hi,

I am looking for a SIM only deal, probably pay monthly, that includes a decent amount of data as I use my phone mainly for mobile internet / as a wireless hotspot. Not too bothered about inclusive calls and texts, just need the minimum, but I don't want a pure data-only deal.

Does anyone have any personal recommendation?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Chrisall
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

feed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to all
Default Re: Mobile Network - Best for Data

I have a work iPhone on Telstra and the data is excellent from a speed and reliability point if view. I live in the SE suburbs of Melbourne so coverage should be good.

My wife has an Amaysim unlimited plan, its very good, cant remember the price though it was the best value by far. It's effectivly the Optus network, which in my house doesn't quite get the 3g that i get with my Telstra work phone.

My advice is to get a prepay sim and test it out for yourself for a few weeks at a time with the different providers. Will be nothing worse if you commit for a long contract and find the coverage is pants.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 9th 2012, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Pennytel get good reviews. There's also this lot that were recommended a couple of months ago that I like the look of.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Timmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really nice

Im on vodafone which was terrible a year or 2 ago. They are getting better with coverage but i'd agree with the previous comments, best get a prepaid card and try it out in the areas you'll use your phone the most.

You wont go wrong with Telstra for reliability and speed but you'll pay for it. Vodafone is in the cheaper end of the spectrum followed by the likes of newcomers like gotalk, lebara and amaysim
Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

chrisall is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the useful comments.

Cheers,
Chrisall
Old Aug 10th 2012, 12:57 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
There's also this lot that were recommended a couple of months ago that I like the look of.
I'm with them, on the same deal as the "m" deal.

But luckily for me, I signed up a few months ago before the price increase.... saving a whole $1 per month.

Old Aug 10th 2012, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Pennytel get good reviews. There's also this lot that were recommended a couple of months ago that I like the look of.
Yehp have Pennytel on my Galaxy Note... works everywhere I've been so far. 35 dollars per month 5 gigs .... plus unlimited phone calls and texts.

Wooworths one maybe better for my needs I found out afterwards... 29 dollars for 5 gigs, but only 550 bucks worth of calls (@90 cents per minute so not a lot really)

I'm using the data on night shift for Spotify and talking to family via skype in the UK, so very pleased with it's usability.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 10th 2012 at 3:36 am.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 3:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmo84
Im on vodafone which was terrible a year or 2 ago. They are getting better with coverage but i'd agree with the previous comments, best get a prepaid card and try it out in the areas you'll use your phone the most.

You wont go wrong with Telstra for reliability and speed but you'll pay for it. Vodafone is in the cheaper end of the spectrum followed by the likes of newcomers like gotalk, lebara and amaysim
Beware that all of us remaining 3 customers are migrating to VF infrastructure this month - Vic starts Monday 13th & NSW on the 20th. My 3 data performance is excellent, I have a work supplied VF 3G dongle which is just dire...I am dreading being moved to VF network...it could be the end of my very long relationship with 3!

With the Woolies 5gb plan I'm sure I read it has a min 10Mb session...so be careful how you use it.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

That Pennytel deal looks great - what network do they use?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
That Pennytel deal looks great - what network do they use?
Vodaphone.... So far so good for me, It's only been two months though.

Pennytel are probably the largest voip provider in Aus. They run on a shoestring though and are a fairly substantial international outfit. They do encounter horrible outages now and again (none so far with their mobile) and are slow to fix them. However they do seem to get albeit very slowly, better and better.

Very much worth using all of their services particuarly on costing......... with your own emergency backup.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 10th 2012 at 4:18 am.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 3:23 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

virgin mobile has good plans and uses optus network
Old Aug 10th 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

melrodrigues will become famous soon enoughmelrodrigues will become famous soon enough

My mom has had the worst coverage with Vodafone...but then again, she's not in a metro area.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 5:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

So I went to Dick Smith and bought a half price prepaid Vodafone Pocket Wifi Pro (supposedly supports 21Mbps) which I plan to unlock and use when travelling.

Wow...the performance is just as bad as using the old 3G dongle I have! I guess I hoped it was a device issue but sitting here in inner Melbourne I'll just have to conclude that it's the VF network that really is as bad as a lot of people say it is! Just like the dongle it tells me it has great signal strength (although it seems to come and go) but just can't pull any data through.

Now I fully expect the same thing to happen when my mobile service moves to VF next week.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:36 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i used to be on 3/voda. i switched to virgin/optus before my contract with 3/voda ended. (i didn't even know which network i connected to!) i had to pay a small penalty but i didnt care, the coverage was just terrible.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by commonwealth
i used to be on 3/voda.
Up until now 3/voda has just been a back office merger with separate networks...it's why I spent 5 months working in Chatswood! But now crunch time has arrived. My 3 service has been great for 18 months since a little rough patch in Melb CBD...while VF has been awful.

I think it's going to be TPG (Optus) for me come next week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.