Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile/fixed data plans skype etc

Mobile/fixed data plans skype etc

Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile/fixed data plans skype etc

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
No it's cheaper if you have a seperate account... I can access my CrazyTalk Account (costs 18.88 per month) with them which gives me 100 pct free calls to local lines and all home lines overseas.( in 70 Countries) Plus I get 500 mins or 150 mobile calls.... I can access this account from any phone, including the mobile apparently.... They do use voip over their mobile sim, but it's at far higher rates than their other accounts. I'm using their crazytalk account already, as it's cheaper than IInets voip.
OEagle: Can't find the post but was it you giving advice recently on Pennytels?

If one gets an ATA between the router and the phone, can one use the fax machine, or is that "out of the loop"?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:28 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

No it's cheaper if you have a seperate account... I can access my CrazyTalk Account (costs 18.88 per month) with them which gives me 100 pct free calls to local lines and all home lines overseas.( in 70 Countries) Plus I get 500 mins or 150 mobile calls.... I can access this account from any phone, including the mobile apparently.... They do use voip over their mobile sim, but it's at far higher rates than their other accounts. I'm using their crazytalk account already, as it's cheaper than IInets voip.
This wasn't really the point. You can link your crazytalk account to the pennysim with smart dial numbers and crazytalk rates.... e.g. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1336466.html is this what you are doing? You don't pay for the mobile leg of the voice call in this case.

This is however different to using voip on your mobile, this is a voicecall with the phone to an access number with forwarding routing over VOIP as opposed to a SIP client on your phone registering with a SIP server and sending data using the data plan. The later will use your dataplan amounts which you have to pay for in addition to your crazytalk rate and monthly sub.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silver
This wasn't really the point. You can link your crazytalk account to the pennysim with smart dial numbers and crazytalk rates.... e.g. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1336466.html is this what you are doing? You don't pay for the mobile leg of the voice call in this case.

This is however different to using voip on your mobile, this is a voicecall with the phone to an access number with forwarding routing over VOIP as opposed to a SIP client on your phone registering with a SIP server and sending data using the data plan. The later will use your dataplan amounts which you have to pay for in addition to your crazytalk rate and monthly sub.
??? Confused... how is it then that I can access my pennytel account from my softphone on my laptop ? It's all the one account.

Nothing to do with the voice side or ANI side... purely data only.

Unless it's the wifi aspect ?

The example you gave is exactly what I intend to do.... however I intended to use my existing crazytalk account with the Pennytel sim.... are you saying I need two accounts pennytel voip accounts if so why ?

If I cant why is there no crossover ..... apparently you can make two simultaneous outward calls at once with the pennytel system on the one account if thats a reason ?

Basically I intended to insert my current crazytalk details into fring and hoped that it would go through the 3g network ? Ahhh are you missing the extra data that you can buy with the Pennytel sim ? ? Definitely intended to buy extra data .... and it still works out a hell of a lot cheaper...need the data for browsing anyway.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 5th 2010 at 3:20 am.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
OEagle: Can't find the post but was it you giving advice recently on Pennytels?

If one gets an ATA between the router and the phone, can one use the fax machine, or is that "out of the loop"?
I know very little about faxing as never use them.... I'm sure I read that you cannot use fax effectively via voip. Could be wrong though.

However can you not use fax software on your scanner.... I understand you can turn your computer into a communications center with the right software ? Sending and receiving faxes in the process.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:08 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I know very little about faxing as never use them.... I'm sure I read that you cannot use fax effectively via voip. Could be wrong though.

However can you not use fax software on your scanner.... I understand you can turn your computer into a communications center with the right software ? Sending and receiving faxes in the process.
I very rarely have to use my fax but it is useful to have available. I suppose there's nothing to stop me just plugging it into the line when I need to and then reverting to the ATA.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:25 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Basically I intended to insert my current crazytalk details into fring and hoped that it would go through the 3g network ? Ahhh are you missing the extra data that you can buy with the Pennytel sim ? ? Definitely intended to buy extra data .... and it still works out a hell of a lot cheaper...need the data for browsing anyway.

Its easier to use than that..

What I am saying is you don't need to use the data quota or fring on your pennysim account to make calls with your crazytalk account (I am not saying you can't do that, you'll just effectively be paying more). You can use there smart dial numbers without charge and this connects through as your crazy talk plan. If you use Fring etc. you use data that you pay for if you use the smartdial system there is no extra cost. Fring will also not give as good call quality as smartdial.

This explains it all... http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m?t=1184506#r1

Using fring etc. means that pennysim has no real differentiator to standard mobile operators like virgin.

Is this still clear as mud?

This has nothing to do with the way you access through your laptop btw.

Last edited by silver; Feb 6th 2010 at 7:31 pm. Reason: added weblink...
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by silver
Its easier to use than that..

What I am saying is you don't need to use the data quota or fring on your pennysim account to make calls with your crazytalk account (I am not saying you can't do that, you'll just effectively be paying more). You can use there smart dial numbers without charge and this connects through as your crazy talk plan. If you use Fring etc. you use data that you pay for if you use the smartdial system there is no extra cost. Fring will also not give as good call quality as smartdial.

This explains it all... http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m?t=1184506#r1

Using fring etc. means that pennysim has no real differentiator to standard mobile operators like virgin.

Is this still clear as mud?

This has nothing to do with the way you access through your laptop btw.

Thanks, I'd overlooked the smartdial option as I havent owned a Pennysim uptil this point and was thinking about simcards in general.

The main flaw in all of my families telephony now comes down to one thing.... My Teenage Daughters usage of SMS's. 50 with Pennytel wont be anywhere near enough. I'm thinking I may be able to get around this with Email instead.... can emails be converted to SMS for the people receiving ? You would be able to send a hell of a lot of emails with a 1 gig data allowance.... (I'd get her more if necessary).... I understand with voip 1 hour of talking uses circa 17mb of data.

Hmmm maybe able to set her up with Pennysim @ 8 Dollars... 2 gigs of Data @ 25 Dollars..... Access our Crazytalk plan....so free to landlines and overseas and 500 mins or 150 mobile calls per month..... then 12.88 cents per minute after that point (thats the whole families allowance).... then this....http://www.global.aq/site/Pricelist.html 500 SMS's per month for 10 Aud..=..43 dollars....

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 6th 2010 at 9:02 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 5:56 am
In melbourne

Thanks, I'd overlooked the smartdial option as I havent owned a Pennysim uptil this point and was thinking about simcards in general.

The main flaw in all of my families telephony now comes down to one thing.... My Teenage Daughters usage of SMS's. 50 with Pennytel wont be anywhere near enough. I'm thinking I may be able to get around this with Email instead.... can emails be converted to SMS for the people receiving ? You would be able to send a hell of a lot of emails with a 1 gig data allowance.... (I'd get her more if necessary).... I understand with voip 1 hour of talking uses circa 17mb of data.

Hmmm maybe able to set her up with Pennysim @ 8 Dollars... 2 gigs of Data @ 25 Dollars..... Access our Crazytalk plan....so free to landlines and overseas and 500 mins or 150 mobile calls per month..... then 12.88 cents per minute after that point (thats the whole families allowance).... then this....http://www.global.aq/site/Pricelist.html 500 SMS's per month for 10 Aud..=..43 dollars....
1 Gb of data is a huge amount for email, without attachments and just simple text I suspect you will be looking at 100,000's. Pennytel charge 5c's for sms but it looks like a regular cap would be a good idea for sms this looks like an interesting thread.. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1325559.html