Mobile broadband - What do we need to get a contract

Mobile broadband - What do we need to get a contract

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:15 am
DSG
Just Joined

DSG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile broadband - What do we need to get a contract

Hello all,
The wife and I are relocating to Brisbane next month and am looking at getting either 3 or Vodafone mobile broadband so that we're up and running as soon as we arrive. We will be in a serviced apartment for a month or so and then moving to a house so this looks like the best bet for us.

What will we need in order to get signed up to the contract given we will be looking to get internet access within a few days of landing ? We will have a bank set up by then but not much else!

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Cheers all,

DSG
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:56 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile broadband - What do we need to get a contract

Credit card and driving licence should do it. The problem being you will need some sort of 'rental agreement' to get your driving licence. Having said all of that, you could probably go and get a pre-pay wireless connection without the hassle
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DSG

What will we need in order to get signed up to the contract given we will be looking to get internet access within a few days of landing ? We will have a bank set up by then but not much else!

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Cheers all,

DSG
Generally speaking the requirements for a mobile broadband contract are the same as a phone... I was able to get a contract phone and 3G broadband deal with vodafone within 5 weeks of getting here - they asked for ID, proof of address and proof of income so I took my passport, a copy of my rental agreement and employment contract.

There are quite a few PAYG mobile broadband deals around now though which may be worth considering...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice

You won't have much chance of getting a contract from day 1 as you need ID that you won't have yet. There are a couple of routes to go down depending on what you want to spend. Taking 3 as an example as I have very little experience of Vodafone - you can take out a 3 contract in the UK, and roam in Oz for 'free' providing you ensure your PC keeps on their 3 Oz network - we did this and sometimes it flipped over to another 3G network with no notice and we got a hefty bill for it! 3 have recently started a prepaid service down here where you can bring your own wireless modem, or they can sell you one. I presume like a prepaid mobile you just need a passport and proof of address to get one? Best to check out 3's Oz website for full details.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:13 am
Account Closed

pingpong is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at the 3 mobile broadband deals. You have to buy the usb modem for $129 then vouchers are $30 for 2gig and $50 for 4 gig. Not a great deal granted but it'll get you up and connected with no contract while moving in and out of rentals etc, until you get settled into your permanent home. It also gives you a bit of time to research into the best deals as most of them arn't the ones on the high street and its easy to get suckered into a very expensive 2 yr contract. check out the whirlpool forum.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Another piece of string again

How long would a 2 gig allowance last,for say just browsing internet/msn messenger and maybe web camming friends,oh and a voip phone?
Not to get music or owt,but maybe kids would lol

cheers jase
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:25 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

We use mobile broadband for skype internet email etc. For a 1hr skype / VOIP call you would use about 200mb per call so ten calls back home and it's gone. If you are going to use the internet for say 2 hours a day and pick up some emails you maybe able to get a months worth out of it not including the skype calls though, I would not even recommend downloading music or movies or you'll be lucky if it lasts a week. As a guide we use around 3gb a month which is 2 to 3 hours surfing every day, 5 to 10 emails a day and two 1 hour skype calls back home every weekend, it leaves us with about 500mb spare each month so 2gb will be OK at a push...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Superb mate,thanks for taking your time to explain
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:38 pm
Banned

The Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really nice

3g wireless is the only thing that Telstra do well. I`m loathed to recommend them but their next g is good. (And I`m a webdesigner)
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

So.........Could i buy a usb 3 modem,then buy a few lots of say 3gs internet in the uk?
All ready to take to australia?

When buying allowances for the month,do they just give you a kinda scratch card that we could use any month? or not?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
So.........Could i buy a usb 3 modem,then buy a few lots of say 3gs internet in the uk?
All ready to take to australia?

When buying allowances for the month,do they just give you a kinda scratch card that we could use any month? or not?
When I took out a 3 contract in the UK last year, they didn't offer the '3 like home' service on pay as you go for Oz, only on contract. I don't think things have changed much since then. So no, I don't believe you can buy top-ups in the UK to use over here. Prices are very similar, so why not just get it while you are here if you don't want a contract?

Last edited by MillsyandtheTroop; Feb 3rd 2009 at 10:40 pm. Reason: put the wrong service name down!