Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile Broadband

Mobile Broadband

Old May 24th 2009, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice
Default Mobile Broadband

Im debating weather or not bring my laptop over with me when I immigrate to melbourne next week. Ill be in a hostel for a while until I find a house share so Im worried it might get nicked but on the other hand its dead handy when looking for work, getting directions etc,etc.. But then again it will be usless anyway without a decent mobile broadband connection.

is anyone using mobile broadband in australia, is it any good and can you recommend a brand.

Thanks
Old May 24th 2009, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Broadband

Don't use it but

http://www.phonechoice.com.au/index....details=Mobile for prices

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/18 for reviews

Ian
Old May 25th 2009, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

www.three.com.au, 6GB for $39
Old May 25th 2009, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto (the big city in Canada, not the town in New South Wales!)
torcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura about

Might be difficult for him to get that "three" deal if it's a contract, as he's a new migrant and thus has no credit history. (may need to get prepaid for first few months until he establishes himself).

Not exactly convenient, but places to get free wi-fi connections around Melbourne CBD:

- Victoria State Library (open until 9 PM on weeknights, and also open on weekends)
- Fed Square (outdoors)
- Australia on Collins food court
- Most McDonald's locations
- Many cafes
Old May 25th 2009, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin payg is a pretty good deal IMHO but check out whirlpool for various points of view about coverage, responsiveness, value for money etc.

3 has the problem of only big city coverage otherwise it is great.
Old May 25th 2009, 2:21 am
Just Joined

foxy_rich will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by torcraw
Might be difficult for him to get that "three" deal if it's a contract, as he's a new migrant and thus has no credit history. (may need to get prepaid for first few months until he establishes himself).

Not exactly convenient, but places to get free wi-fi connections around Melbourne CBD:

- Victoria State Library (open until 9 PM on weeknights, and also open on weekends)
- Fed Square (outdoors)
- Australia on Collins food court
- Most McDonald's locations
- Many cafes

I managed to get the 3 contract (6gb for $39) when I'd been in the country for only 5 weeks, so I'm not quite sure of the credit history stuff. Worth checking.

Ther service comes highly recommended though, would certainly prefer more downloads (annoying having to watch what I download) but does alright for now
Old May 25th 2009, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

concretebob is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to get the 3 deal straight off if you have an Aussie Driver Licence, you can get the Licence by presenting your UK Licence and Passport at the RTA.

I have 3 myself 7GB for $49 it pretty fast for mobile and very reliable.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

I have 3 myself ($129 for the modem) and 3gb all for $29 per month (PAYG). You should have no problem with the credit history.

I would suggest visiting one of the Allphones stores as they might give you better deal.

Last edited by Rideaway; May 25th 2009 at 8:29 am. Reason: add payg
Old May 25th 2009, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Hi, we used optus mobile when we were over in Nov. We just recharged on line - it was really easy. $150 initial payment to get the plug in modem and about a months worth of usage. We are quite heavy internet users and it seemed to last forever. Definitely recommend.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

Originally Posted by n_n_d
I have 3 myself ($129 for the modem) and 3gb all for $29 per month (PAYG). You should have no problem with the credit history.

I would suggest visiting one of the Allphones stores as they might give you better deal.
Pay as you go sounds good to me I dont like contracts they're usually too good to be true. 3gb of downloads? I dont really understand how this works, is like every page i open a download or is that just for P2P?

I'd be using the internet for emails, skype, job hunting, everyday stuff, I wont be on P2P, or torrents, downloading movies or music etc. Would 3gb satisfy my needs do you think?
thanks
Old May 25th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by paulg1770
Pay as you go sounds good to me I dont like contracts they're usually too good to be true. 3gb of downloads? I dont really understand how this works, is like every page i open a download or is that just for P2P?

I'd be using the internet for emails, skype, job hunting, everyday stuff, I wont be on P2P, or torrents, downloading movies or music etc. Would 3gb satisfy my needs do you think?
thanks
3gb is enough for my requirements. I spent a few weeks searching for jobs and used less than 2gb. You are able to monitor your usage and increase next month as required.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

concretebob is an unknown quantity at this point

3GB is easy enough.... I use my full 7GB as I use a download manger and then down load the entire limit at the end of the month (get my moneys worth because I have a subscription for my local paper back home in PDF) and music, video etc.

The 7GB started out as 4GB for $49 ...2 years ago and 3 actually incresed to 7 GB without changing my contract as Telstra and opus hit the market, worth it all the same and I claim it back in Tax as I say its for work.

No doubt in 6 months time it will probably be 10GB for $49 and probably 5GB for $29
Old May 25th 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

I might be killing my own thread elsewhere but what are the best wireless internet options for a two months reccie?

Will be travelling east to west so need Oz wide coverage -though not remote - for basic email and blogging, and a bit of surfing.

Bezza