Wikiposts

Mob Rule?

Old May 28th 2003, 1:48 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mob Rule?

Not only my view that Australians lack understanding or are blunt , intolerant and vindictive , seems the locals think so too?

Letters to the Editor

29 May 2003

Are we ruled by the mob?

THE hounding of Peter Hollingworth from his post as Governor-General has shown the true nature of 79 per cent of Australians - intolerant, vindictive and unforgiving, seeking and criticising faults in others. Intolerance of human frailty has sent the cost of indemnity to astronomical heights.

Now, logically, anyone who has committed an error of judgment should resign or be dismissed from his or her job. Any divorcee, for instance, has committed at least one error of judgment, resulting in distress.

Dr Hollingworth did not commit a crime and has expressed regret for his error of judgment. Does the attitude of 79 per cent of Australians mean that rehabilitation is a waste of time? Should anyone who breaks the speed limit be jailed and the key thrown away? Should we ignore the writings of Burns, that most human of poets, and the music of Mozart because of their misdeeds?

Is democracy another name for mob rule? We are all human and, if we judge others, we may find that we may be ourselves judged. The judgmental attitude about recent events may have created more problems than solutions.

IAIN ESSLEMONT, Margaret River.

Old May 28th 2003, 2:12 pm
Pommie_Bastard

(Damn, these Aussies are stealing my stock in trade! Now if only I could become GG and cyber comute from Leicestershire!)