Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mmm was pondering attending the NYE firework bash in Sydney then I read this..

Mmm was pondering attending the NYE firework bash in Sydney then I read this..

Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:58 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Mmm was pondering attending the NYE firework bash in Sydney then I read this..

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/soc...1108-i3cp.html

is it really that bad
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Jamie-Blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mmm was pondering attending the NYE firework bash in Sydney then I read this..

hahaha loved it.On a serious note i have been 3 times to Sydney for New Years...yes its spectacular but the difference in the ten year span is startling.

There appears to be more people less space, the noise is heightened by the sale of tacky horns and high pitched hooters and to be honest its not nice having one blown down your ears every 20 seconds and thats at 9pm!!

The organisatio appears to be excellent but you have to wonder with the swelling population is it going to cope?

Then you have the people who charge the earth for a better view etc....fine but some of the pompous loudmouths who pay....do piss you off.

GO before its too late!!!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mmm was pondering attending the NYE firework bash in Sydney then I read this..

Yes, it really is that bad!

The main problem though, is just the number of p*ssed up morons who come out looking for either a fight, or the opportunity to grope as many women as possible.

Plus, wading through broken bottles and plastic cups strewn all over the floor and having to use those crappy portaloos.

I've done it twice and am happy to give it a miss in future.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
Funny article
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrentEnd
The main problem though, is just the number of p*ssed up morons who come out looking for either a fight, or the opportunity to grope as many women as possible.

Plus, wading through broken bottles and plastic cups strewn all over the floor and having to use those crappy portaloos.
Sounds pretty much like NYE in any city! In fact it could easily describe Friday/Saturday night in most city centres!

My first experience of NYE in Sydney was at Yarranabbe park last year. Really enjoyed it but the queues for the portaloos are terrible.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:52 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Like it.

I'd say, if you've never been, come. If you've seen them, no need to bother again. We were here in 2001 and last year was our first year living here, but we're not that fussed for seeing them again.

We might go away. Be thankful you don't live in one of the suburbs near the harbour where the alcopopped kids spend their New Years Eves.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:08 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Our sixth Xmas here and, unless we're offered space on a gin palace floating in the harbour, we'll be giving it a miss again. NYE, no matter where it happens, is usually a pretty shite affair.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Our sixth Xmas here and, unless we're offered space on a gin palace floating in the harbour, we'll be giving it a miss again. NYE, no matter where it happens, is usually a pretty shite affair.
Have always preferred Christmas to New Years. Just could never get enthused.
My OH has his b'day on Jan 3rd poor b'stard, no-one ever wants to celebrate as they are all back off to work!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve always liked the Sydney ones, been a few times and always get a little spot right at the Oprah house without having to wait hours (you go at 9pm when a lot of the families leave after the small fireworks display.

I’ve never seen any trouble around where I go (Oprah house area - the free bit), but a friend visiting from overseas did go to “The Rocks” at a bar/dinner thing there and she got bashed something bad, as she was lying on the floor covered in blood with another friend looking for help the Girls who bashed her came back and just said “sorry, we thought you were someone else” and walked away.

So yea, it can get out of hand, but it depends on where you are, around at the rocks it’s mostly drunken late comers cramming the bars that cause the problem, also walking back through the city after the fire works can be bad (George Street), so you’re best walking along hide park, it’s mostly family groups, lots of police and pretty safe.

All in all its good, just find a spot near the Oprah House, Mrs Macquaires Chair or over the north side of the Harbour. Avoid the Rocks, The Circular Quay area outside of the closed off zone and Darling Harbour (no idea why people cram Darling Harbour anyway, you can’t see anything).

Oh, one more option... if you go to the RTA website, in mid-late November they give out free tickets (5 per person) to access the bridge above Circular Quay Train Station – Cahill Expressway). Enter that and you might come up with 5 tickets, it’s safe and you get your own little expressway to watch the fireworks.

Here is the link:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents/nye.html

Have fun
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Went to the family one, years ago, found a spot up high in the parkland, quite scary though as people started to stand up as fireworks started and other families didnt hold back with threats and swearing to get people to sit down. When it finished the mass of people trying to get out of the main area was horrible, we had a buggy and had to fold it and cling on to kids as we felt like we would get crushed. Main reaction was for a ' family ' event it was a bit rough
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:10 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

LOL it is a funny article I did gather there was a lot of truth in it.

Thanks for the replies and for the link Canadaeh

It does sound a bit of a nightmare how about one of the cruises? anyone been on one of them, free bar onboard again wondering how rowdy do they get.

to be honest just wanted to go somewhere lively with fireworks but not to be trampled and be surrounded by hoons. There sounds a pretty nice bash in Hobart with dinner etc but the hotels that are left want 450 bucks a night with a 4 night minimum booking. Robbing barstewards

A google of other ideas is proving fruitless, maybe too much of a tall order these days LOL.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:21 pm
(^v^)

Originally Posted by Seasider
Be thankful you don't live in one of the suburbs near the harbour where the alcopopped kids spend their New Years Eves.
lol we may not have the Harbour but we have plenty of alcopopped filled kids on most weekends not just NYE.

It gets a lot worse over the holiday times though, we have a big campsite along the sea front here, it gets full of kids and the pub and streets get full of trouble.

last year some of them kindly put 2 shop windows through
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums

how about one of the cruises? anyone been on one of them, free bar onboard again wondering how rowdy do they get.
They can be a bit expensive, but the good thing is you usually wont have trouble makers on a decent one.

Some of them have good value, meals, drinks, sail around the harbour and right in front of the bridge for the fireworks.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:57 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's from The Age, which is a Melbourne paper which is slagging off a Sydney event. Par for the course.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by renth
It's from The Age, which is a Melbourne paper which is slagging off a Sydney event. Par for the course.
Done Sydney NYE fireworks twice so far and still yet to get a good view. 2007 got down to North Sydney about 11pm and it was all closed off as the areas had reached capacity. I know my fault. So 2008 tried down at Mrs Macquaries Chair, apparently the best view in Sydney. Well we got there at 12pm hoping for a 10 minute Q to get in, lol, how stupid were we when we got there and found a line of about 1500 people!! Anyway we were committed so we bought two cases of beer from a local bottlo and joined the Q. 5 hours later and extremely p1ssed we finally got in only to find it was pretty easy to smuggle booze in at the chekpoint. If we'd had known we wouldnt have drank it all!! Anyways by the time midnight came everyone was far too drunk and tired to enjoy the fireworks. There was a mass rush to the front of the park and we caught a glimpse of the fireworks through the trees.
So this year Im not taking any chances. 2009 we got tickets at cruise bar on their balcony (level3) for 200 bucks each. At least I can now get there at 9pm and enjoy myself and get a view of the fireworks. Cheapest bar to watch them from unless you want a crush in the free spaces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.