Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mixed Race moving to Aus

Mixed Race moving to Aus

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:23 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Mixed Race moving to Aus

Originally Posted by missing the sunshine
Hello guys

I would like some honest feedback on the issue of racial discrimination in Australia specifically QUEENSLAND. I am black British, My wife is white Australian and we have 4 children together.

We are moving to Australia but i am very aprehensive of what to expect when i get there.

I have done research on racial discremination in Aus but have not found anything significant. I know Queensland isnt London so i want to have an idea of what to expect along these lines.

Has anyone got any experience they would like to share.
If your a Brit you will get the micky taken out of you whatever colour you are.
On TV the other day someone actually said -

smells like a POMS sweaty arm pit

I couldn't believe that someone would actually say this in the media and get away with it! So POM bashing goes on but then we make jokes about the Scots, Welsh & Irish and of course the Oszies. It usually only coloured people who take offence as is usually the case in the UK.

Here in Hervey Bay no one takes any notice only of Muslim females with their heads all covered.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
If "lifestyle" is equated with "economic migrant" then I think someone from the UK whether black or white is considered OK. Anyone who is an economic migrant from a poor or violent company, or indeed a refugee from such places, will not be held in such "high regard".
Economics is a BIG part of it. Mxed race girl on train last night shouting at 'Curry munchers' as they got off at 'their' station. Issue here she is herself a victim of her economic background and immaturity..
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I
couldn't believe that someone would actually say this in the media and get away with it! So POM bashing goes on but then we make jokes about the Scots, Welsh & Irish and of course the Oszies. It usually only coloured people who take offence as is usually the case in the UK.
speak for yourself...I don't make such jokes and I AM offended by insulting "pom" rubbish its just plain rude... I would also be VERY offended by any rascist joke (and Im white)
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:31 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ray2gill
So POM bashing goes on but then we make jokes about the Scots, Welsh & Irish and of course the Oszies. It usually only coloured people who take offence as is usually the case in the UK.
It is rude, but I don't think 'pom bashing' equates in any way to the racist perspective by a few towards, for example, aboriginals. In fact while that may be offensive to some (although doesn't bother me at all) it's not even 'racism'. If this seriously bothers you, try to imagine how that same level of sensitivity woud react to assumptions, comments and/or actions made on the basis of your skin colour - making your 'coloured people who take offence...' comment a little odd in that context.

I think the point by jayr about the economic element is very true. However being able to shift any prejudice on the basis of opening one's mouth and speaking in an english accent doesn't really make it any better.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Economics is a BIG part of it. Mxed race girl on train last night shouting at 'Curry munchers' as they got off at 'their' station. Issue here she is herself a victim of her economic background and immaturity..
where's this? so I can avoid the area.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:52 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

As a white, english speking male I find it difficult to be offended by the use of the word pom; not least it is directed at my "englishness" and the last time I looked "English" wasn't a race.

I think it is a little simple to conclude "usually only coloured people take offence". As I say I am white and by definition have not suffered racism. No-one has refused to give me a job, serve me in a shop, spat on me or called me names as a result of being white and English.

Perhaps "coloured" people take offence because they are the ones being offended against. No white English people with a history (rightly or wrongly) of being the top of the Imperial foodchain could ever suggest in all seriousness that they have been racially abused surely.

If your a Brit you will get the micky taken out of you whatever colour you are.

It usually only coloured people who take offence as is usually the case in the UK.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Rubbish.

To the OP: I don't know about Queensland but Sydney is certainly more racist than the UK – at least more openly racist than small town Essex/Hertfordshire and London - and my Australian friends who've lived in the UK have made that point to me too. Whether that's naivety/bigotism is a matter of opinion.

Your children are unlikely to experience any racism though, unless they look remotely aboriginal or pacific-islander, towards whom too many hold ignorant bigoted views (esp the older generation and a few younger idiots). I've heard and witnessed racism towards orientals, indians and arabs – but seldom to their faces.

I'm mixed-race (north african/dutch) and have felt uncomfortable a couple of times, but would agree with an earlier post that most ignorance tends to be directed behind the scenes or in a group sense rather than towards individuals.

Ultimately I think your perspective will depend on how sensitive you are to a minority yet more vocal view than in england. In terms of kids – well I’m sure diversity of culture and skin colour can only be increasing so in the same way skin tone is largely irrelevant for most of my generation x, hopefully the next generation will only embrace it further.
Sorry i agree with the original poster. Australia, without a doubt, is incredibly welcoming to all races.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:05 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I have met lots of people and heard heaps of comments that would be considered racist in britain. references to immigrants etc, calling the pakistani team pakis, wogs when referring to european greeks etc but it all seems to be non intentional and not to cause offence. It took me a little while and I still sometimes look at the tv and think "you cant say that!" Its just different meanings though - my daughter has cerebral palsy and I cried my eyes out when we had our membership welcome to the spastic society - its like there is no subtlety to things here and things arent seen as offensive.

A friend of mine came to stay with us and we did find a little difference in Sydney in that he looked like he was maybe aboriginal and when he was on his own he could never get a taxi and couldnt get in lots of pubs. It was really strange as he was very well dressed etc.

In Queensland though I really dont think it will be an issue for you, I would hope not. The mix up of nationalities is different here, I met my very first black man here just this week - I cant remember if he was the plumber or someone quoting something but he was from the uk too. There are heaps of nationalities around though but they are all australian.

Vivienne
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
where's this? so I can avoid the area.
SE suburbs that follow both the SouthEastern freeway (Monash) and Pakenham railway line. In terms of the railway stations, pick any bit between say Westall (city end) and Narre Warren (outer suburb end). It is not uncommon for me to be the only white professional bloke in the carriage early in the morning, and on the way back out, when the train departs Hallam and enters Narre Warren the demographic of the people getting off changes so abruptly you couldn't imagine it - back to suburban white. Berwick is another change, professional suburban white...the whole thing is an ad man's wet dream.

The double whammy of these demographics is that not only do these people live where the 'migrants live' (not my phrase), they are also low socio-economic. Noble Parknear Dandenong is one of the 'worst' suburbs in Melbourne. A lot of the infighting as evidenced by that young lady is amongst various groups. It's relative of course.

A bit of an isolated case that one. Elsewhere, the North, migrants live peacefully cheek by jowl as people will proudly tell you.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
SE suburbs that follow both the SouthEastern freeway (Monash) and Pakenham railway line. In terms of the railway stations, pick any bit between say Westall (city end) and Narre Warren (outer suburb end). It is not uncommon for me to be the only white professional bloke in the carriage early in the morning, and on the way back out, when the train departs Hallam and enters Narre Warren the demographic of the people getting off changes so abruptly you couldn't imagine it - back to suburban white. Berwick is another change, professional suburban white...the whole thing is an ad man's wet dream.

The double whammy of these demographics is that not only do these people live where the 'migrants live' (not my phrase), they are also low socio-economic. Noble Parknear Dandenong is one of the 'worst' suburbs in Melbourne. A lot of the infighting as evidenced by that young lady is amongst various groups. It's relative of course.

A bit of an isolated case that one. Elsewhere, the North, migrants live peacefully cheek by jowl as people will proudly tell you.
so it seems from all these post that one should avoid Melbourne.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
so it seems from all these post that one should avoid Melbourne.
No if anything far from it..it's known for being multi-cultural..

I reckon many places might have a bit of bargy.

Sydney and Melbourne are big enough to have clusters of areas where demographically you might get this..
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:31 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
I

speak for yourself...I don't make such jokes and I AM offended by insulting "pom" rubbish its just plain rude... I would also be VERY offended by any rascist joke (and Im white)
Then you must be very thin skinned. You either give as good as you get or ignore it.

Having taken so much crap from being the only white person working in an office full of Indians I hate their guts. But that wasn't just the odd comment they actually hated anyone who was white and a Brit to boot. You should try being on the other end of that sort of rascism and the odd joke is the least of your worries.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Having taken so much crap from being the only white person working in an office full of Indians I hate their guts. But that wasn't just the odd comment they actually hated anyone who was white and a Brit to boot. You should try being on the other end of that sort of rascism and the odd joke is the least of your worries.
Thin skinned am I? I just don't like ignorance and rudeness, I appreciate respect, and Id rather be thin skinned than full of hate
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Then you must be very thin skinned. You either give as good as you get or ignore it.

I'm white and live in a black country and have been a victim of racism for many years now. Racism knows no color it comes from all races. I don't hate anyone personally but I do feel pity for those who are color consciouses. I would just like to stay away from people like that.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:21 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Having taken so much crap from being the only white person working in an office full of Indians I hate their guts. But that wasn't just the odd comment they actually hated anyone who was white and a Brit to boot. .
I am really surprised by this. I have worked with indians for many many years and have never had a moments problem. I tease them, they tease me, we compare cultural differences and I have always found all of my indian friends to be really polite, quite naive in many ways, with really stong morals and acceptance of others except pakistanis. For whom they generally seem to dislike! What job do you do - are they professionals? Maybe its a class thing? I work in IT so mostly the indians I know are university educated but I have finished work for nearly a year and a couple still pop around regularly to bring me small presents or bowls of milk for welcome etc.

I always thought it was that across the board, indians are generally nice people.

racist generalisation there!

Vivienne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.