Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A mixed bunch! Neighbours. . . . . .

A mixed bunch! Neighbours. . . . . .

Old Sep 2nd 2006, 11:15 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default A mixed bunch! Neighbours. . . . . .

Just thought I'd give you a taste of the mix of nationalities we have on our doorstep.

We live in a cul-de-sac on Sydney's Northern Beaches - 9 houses, less than a year old and all rental properties. We are British, our neighbours on the left are South African, our neighbours on the right are Dutch. The other households are 2 x British, 1 x half British, half aussie, 2 pure aussie and 1 household that keep themselves to themselves so much that I have no idea of their nationality!

Now I know that a cul-de-sac entirely of rental properties is probably not the most "typical" of residential areas but it does seem to reflect the immigrant population.

It just seemed to me to draw attention to the fact that we intended to come out here and immerse ourselves in all things "aussie" but because of the mix of nationalities it is not really a true statement in our case. But I would like to add that we have been very happy here! We are moving out in just over two weeks (having bought our own place) and the people taking on the property are another English family!

Just thought I'd share (and waffling having had a few! )

Binbird
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 11:28 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A mixed bunch! Neighbours. . . . . .

Originally Posted by binbird

It just seemed to me to draw attention to the fact that we intended to come out here and immerse ourselves in all things "aussie" but because of the mix of nationalities it is not really a true statement in our case.
Binbird
Hi

I was suprised on my first day in my new job to be working along side a guy from Vietnam, another from Poland, two Pommies, one from Croatia and three Aussies.
Another thing I have noticed... I work with the public all day and I'm amazed at the amount of non English speaking (or VERY limited) people I come into contact with. If I had moved to Spain or France, I would have expected it, but never did I expect it in Oz. You're very correct about the diverse migrant population.

Neil.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 3:12 pm
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

Yeah i'd have to agree. We rent, and our neighbours are Aussie, Indian, Chinese, Korean and Serbian. In certain suburbs in Sydney its hard to find an 'anglo' Aussie. Very multi-cultural, maybe too much so. I know a lot of immigrants here who have an appalling grasp of English, and some have been here for 10 years +
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
I know a lot of immigrants here who have an appalling grasp of English, and some have been here for 10 years +
Well, if there is no need to learn English then there is no need.....guess it depends on an individual's environment.

My last home in Sydney was next to a Korean grocery store....the owners lived above the shop, and I lived above the shop next door - shared stairway. Anyway, they'd been in Oz for YEARS and didnt speak a word of English. ....business seemed be ticking along with no probs tho.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 4:56 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Binbird,
Where are you moving to?? Is it a new build??
J x