Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Missing UK Gold in the Olympics

Missing UK Gold in the Olympics

Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Missing UK Gold in the Olympics

Very happy today to read that Kelly Holmes won the 800m gold medal. You have to say she's really bust a gut to win a gold (in the same way Brooke Hansen has for her silver in the pool for Aus).
I now find myself a little sad that I missed it, as there is little or no chance that Ch7 will show the race again in their highlights round up (which will be highlights of the swimming from last week I presume), and SBS doesn't have the athletics. bugger
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing UK Gold in the Olympics

Originally Posted by RichS
Very happy today to read that Kelly Holmes won the 800m gold medal. You have to say she's really bust a gut to win a gold (in the same way Brooke Hansen has for her silver in the pool for Aus).
I now find myself a little sad that I missed it, as there is little or no chance that Ch7 will show the race again in their highlights round up (which will be highlights of the swimming from last week I presume), and SBS doesn't have the athletics. bugger
You've obviously noticed, like me, that unless there is an Aussie getting the headline then the race or event may as well have not existed. There is a horrendous insularity about the reporting of the Olympics over here.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 4:11 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You've obviously noticed, like me, that unless there is an Aussie getting the headline then the race or event may as well have not existed. There is a horrendous insularity about the reporting of the Olympics over here.
It has a lot to do with being in Australia Polly. For the same reasons they show 95% US sport on TV here in America. Fancy that...
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

well there's a little justice in both previous comments.

Ch7 are a josef goebbels school of propoganda offshoot I'll grant you, but SBS have done well and shown us some good sport.

I have to ask the question - if GB had won 13 golds by now, how would the BBC coverage be looking? I'd like to think we'd trumpet our victories, but perhaps not at the expense of covering anything else?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:06 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Program the VCR?

Channel 7 - Athens 2004 - The Olympics day by day
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:08 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Peter
It has a lot to do with being in Australia Polly. For the same reasons they show 95% US sport on TV here in America. Fancy that...
Funny that. When i read this page on the BBC website I thought how well it covered so many different events and athletes from different nations.

What's your next argument... the UK have to cover so many other events cos they don't win as much as the aussies? pttffff
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Funny that. When i read this page on the BBC website I thought how well it covered so many different events and athletes from different nations.

What's your next argument... the UK have to cover so many other events cos they don't win as much as the aussies? pttffff
Barely enough time to show 'em dishing out the gongs to the Aussies, let along showing the Aussies winnin' 'em.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:14 am
o_0

So you believe Australians should do things like the British, be like the British, shit like the British, etc?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Peter
So you believe Australians should do things like the British, be like the British, shit like the British, etc?
Joke. Sheesh you're touchy.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:19 am
o_0

Absolutely!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:29 am
Banned

BBC already has compulsary subscribers money. Channel 7 has sell to earn it from advertizers. SBS is a mix of both hence can afford to show the less interesting stuff.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:30 am

Actually I'm just pissed cos the aussies boys done so well on their bikes this morning. The Brits were well off the pace, something I wasn't expecting.
At least I got to watch it.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:41 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

No hes a REAL Australian and hes got to know better than all of us hasn't he
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I watched it on Ch7 this morning at about 6.30am (I was pounding the treadmill at the gym and they had the TV's on). They even interviewed her afterwards!!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:20 am
o_0

Originally Posted by Quinkana
BBC already has compulsary subscribers money. Channel 7 has sell to earn it from advertizers. SBS is a mix of both hence can afford to show the less interesting stuff.
Well said. Keep TV licenses out of Australia!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.