Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mining Boom Mining Boom ra ra ra!!

Mining Boom Mining Boom ra ra ra!!

Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:16 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mining Boom Mining Boom ra ra ra!!

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Errr Gorgon isn't a mine.

LOL, spoilsport

why let the truth get in the way of a good posting?

dontcha know that its doom and gloom here? (we're doomed Captain -DOOMED i tell you)
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:39 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
[/B]

Was speaking to a self employed decorator the other day, he said he found it
near impossible to find anybody to work as brush hands, even though he pays $30 ph.
If jobs in Perth were that hard to come by, I'd have thought people would be snapping his arm off for unskilled work at that hourly rate???????
$30 ph is the equivilant of earning 7/8 pounds in London It's a poor salary which will never allow you to do anything, buy a house live comfortably which is what Australians want. It gets you ****in nowhere and that's why no one will work at that rate. Even supermarkets these days pay close to that and kids/studnets or people looking to do somethign with their life aren't that stupid.

Last edited by Weebie; Apr 6th 2011 at 4:11 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:42 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
only 181 jobs on offer with my company - down from 192 last week.

yep, must be a recession.
There is a difference between jobs and ads made by recruitment agents. You should know that.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Depends on your area - senior IT people are in demand and hard to find.
Senior It people in America and UK are hard to find. Totally different compared to other sectors.

Last edited by Weebie; Apr 6th 2011 at 3:53 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Part of an email I recieved today from an agent that I know very well:

As mentioned, I am currently seeking Electrical Design people at Senior level (10+ years) experience.

Clients are for:

Amec Minproc
FAST JV
Sedgman (Burswood)
WorleyParsons
Fluor

Let me know if you are interested in any of the above clients of if you know of anyone.

Thanks very much

Level 3, 105 St Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6000
PO Box Z5166, Perth WA 6831
Phone: +61 (0)8 *******
Fax: +61 (0)8 *******
Mobile: +61 (0)********
E-Mail:
Internet: http://www.execom.com.au

Two of those companies are complete shit and will never attract decent workers. How do I kow Amazulu because I worked as an Electrical Draftsman for them! They will never attract workers for various reasons that occurred before you got here!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by pomtastic
WA in recession ties in with what I've been banging on about on this forum for a while. Most people are in debt up to their eyeballs because they have been told by the media that the next 'big boom' is coming and that houses prices will double in no time. The muppets have bought into this fabricated story and over extended. A couple of interest rate rises and upward cost of living has squeezed the last drop of blood out of these people. As I said before, people are now buying 1 or 2 tomatoes in Coles, thinking twice before chucking a packet of steak in their shopping trollies. Shops are empty in WA unless a sale is on, shops are going bust left right and centre and more to come.

Remember folks, the media here is run by business and mining vested interests. Gina Reinhart owns 10% of the Ten network and Fairfax media, so all you are going to get shoved down your throats is the mining boom to attract investment and no negative stories about the economy going down the crapper. It's all about perceived confidence so people empty their wallets and pay for overpriced housing as these businesses could give a damn in 5 years time when they are retired in luxury.

As for mining, what I understand is that the actual infrastucture for these mines employs the most workers - as in NOW. Once the mine is up and running the employee count is relatively small to the profits made. Numbers of 10,000 employees for setting up Gorgon versus 3,000 employees for the actual running of the mine. Unfortunately, most of the steel fabrication has been made abroad, steel fabricators in Perth are working at 30% capacity only when they should be in boom mode.

Most people I speak to think the next 'boom' is just around the corner - they will be left high and dry IMO.
It's been around the corner for two years now.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:18 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
There is a difference between jobs and ads made by recruitment agents. You should know that.

I do and that was my point.

My company has 181 genuine jobs available, regardless of what the job advert sites such as SEEK/ CareerOne / MyCareer etc indicate, and regardless of what the media / govt say about recession - technical or otherwise. Some of these jobs we have been trying to fill for over 3 months without success. We managed to fill some of them in the last week or so but some new jobs came up as well so we have a net of 11 down. If it was a true recession we would be looking to slash jobs not desperately trying to fill jobs and certainly we wouldnt be adding jobs to the list.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Two of those companies are complete shit and will never attract decent workers. How do I kow Amazulu because I worked as an Electrical Draftsman for them! They will never attract workers for various reasons that occurred before you got here!
Sure, there are plenty of shit companies out there that I would not work for (FAST JV ) but I was trying to illustrate that there is a lot of work going at the moment. I also know that:
Calibre
SKM
KBR
Lycopodium
BEC
are looking for EPCM people. Just in our relatively small electrical group we are looking for engineers, designers, project engineers, QA, site supervisors. We advertised on SEEK, and got 1 reply - from a guy in Singapore who does not even have a visa!

Due to the short sighted policies on training from the industry and government, I can't see this changing any time soon either.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Make the most of it - save your dosh as these imbalances always revert back to the norm over a period.
Been through this all before back in Canada...he's been working in this field for 20 years...so nothing new...
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Western Australia officially entered recession today. We may have some projects up North etc but building in Perth is f**ked and jobs are very tough to come by.
I saw this yesterday on Perthnow and could only think of one word - Bollocks!

Just cos people aren't buying overpriced houses at the mo doesn't equal a recession, someone's trying to break Barnett's balls I think. The article also stated from the same source that they expected the WA economy to grow in the region of 5.5% over the next year - what sort of monkey says we're in recession yet expect very strong growth over the next year?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:38 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
I saw this yesterday on Perthnow and could only think of one word - Bollocks!

Just cos people aren't buying overpriced houses at the mo doesn't equal a recession, someone's trying to break Barnett's balls I think. The article also stated from the same source that they expected the WA economy to grow in the region of 5.5% over the next year - what sort of monkey says we're in recession yet expect very strong growth over the next year?
From what I read they used a measured that excludes the fact the WA exports stuff! Just a little odd.

What they are trying to show is that the proceeds of the mining industry aren't feeding into the wider economy as much as they'd like...the chamber of commerce (and its members) obviously wants to see those $'s more widely dispersed.

It is surprsing I guess that the other sectors of the economy in WA don't seem to benefit much from the mining sector...but this just reflects the generally unbalanced state of the Aussie economy. Construction, services, manufacturing are all stagnant at best.

I'm aware of 2 measures of calling a recession, 2 qtrs of -ve GDP growth & unemployment increasing by x% over y months...WA doesn't fit either of em. 'Official' my @rse.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

$30 ph is the equivilant of earning 7/8 pounds in London It's a poor salary which will never allow you to do anything, buy a house live comfortably which is what Australians want. It gets you ****in nowhere and that's why no one will work at that rate. Even supermarkets these days pay close to that and kids/studnets or people looking to do somethign with their life aren't that stupid.
I can vouch for that , as a nurse i get $32 per hour, and it does get you shittin nowhere
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:44 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston
easily said if you aint a bricky mate...
My pal's a brickie in Perth, he and his whole gang have been laid off.

Apparently there's loads of Irish backpacker bricklayers undercutting everyone else.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

$30 isn't the same as 7-8 pounds in the UK, that's rubbish. Look mate, if someone hasn't got a job then $30 is much better than nothing. If you are unskilled then you shouldn't expect to buy a house, even though this may be 'what Australians want'.

What is the point of this post?, obviously Perth is not in a recession as Amazulu has pointed out. I guess things are not as good there as they used to be and this is affecting you personally, if this is the case I'm sorry to hear that but you could always move somewhere else or take up that painting job.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

So they won't attract workers?, are these the same workers saying their are no jobs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.