Minimum Stay?

Old Apr 30th 2005, 10:41 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of
Default Minimum Stay?

This sounds like a really stupid question, but bear with me

What is the minimum amount of time you would stay in Oz for, i.e. 1 week, 2 weeks, etc.? I mean considering the 23 + hr flight, the time difference, and so on. I've never been quite as far afield as Oz, and I need to decide exactly how much time to take off.

Any tips would be very helpful

-Becs
Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:07 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum Stay?

Depends on how much money you want to spend .

Since we live in Oz I will have to answer the other way around - I wouldnt consider a holiday to the UK of less than 2 weeks (not considering visiting family). But then I absolutely hate flying , so for me, the longer the better .

Im sure you could do a week or 10 days, just wouldnt be my choice, but if money was a constraint I'd do it.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:14 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

How much money I want to spend? What do you mean? I'm tired

I hate flying too..I don't want to imagine what a wreck I'll be after 23 hrs in the air I was exhausted after flying back from New Jersey USA a few weeks ago, and that was just 6 hours! I couple of people had connecting flights..I felt so sorry for them

Anyway, 2 weeks sounds sensible, I think, considering the expenses involved.

What do you think of Brisbane? I have a friend there who I'm planning on visiting. I think she lives in Toowoomba or something <.<

-Becs
Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:18 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Becs

What is the minimum amount of time you would stay in Oz for, i.e. 1 week, 2 weeks, etc.? I mean considering the 23 + hr flight, the time difference, and so on. I've never been quite as far afield as Oz, and I need to decide exactly how much time to take off.

-Becs
If money isn't an issue - or you can get a really good deal - going business class (or even 'premium economy') will allow you to travel in enough comfort that you can get a decent amount of sleep, & not feel like death-warmed-up at the other end. This allows you to maximise the time while you're over there.

If you haven't done the trip before, the jet lag will almost certainly hit you (I think I've done it so many times now that my metabolism has engineered out jet lag as I don't seem to get it anymore ). Make sure you drink plenty of water/fruit juice & herbal teas before/during and after the flight - all of these hydrate you & will help to prevent that tired dizzy feeling you get with jet lag.

Good luck and I hope you have a fab trip!

Anya.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:20 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

How much money I want to spend? What do you mean? I'm tired

I hate flying too..I don't want to imagine what a wreck I'll be after 23 hrs in the air I was exhausted after flying back from New Jersey USA a few weeks ago, and that was just 6 hours! I couple of people had connecting flights..I felt so sorry for them

Anyway, 2 weeks sounds sensible, I think, considering the expenses involved.

What do you think of Brisbane? I have a friend there who I'm planning on visiting. I think she lives in Toowoomba or something <.<

-Becs
You answered your own question - it depends on how much money you want to spend as the holiday is expensive enough with just airfares & staying longer means you will spend more money on accommodation, food & sightseeing etc.

We love Brisbane, Toowoomba is about an hour and a half to 2 hours west of Brisbane, up on the top of the range.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:45 pm
Desert spaces

MrsDagBoy: I'm staying with a friend, so no hotel costs to worry about. She has car, and we won't be doing sightseeing everyday. Mostly beach trips, I think.

But yes, I'm on a tight budget. I was thinking of going down over Christmas and New Year but the prices are insane

anya4oz: A Business class seat would be absolutely excellent, but I'm afraid my middle name is 'Budget', lol. Flying Economy to the US almost killed me, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the flight to Oz I just hate how there's so little legroom, and the fact that people like to lean their seats back and basically lie in your lap isn't v. helpful. Anyway, I'll have to bear it. Luckily I'm used to not sleeping

What would either of you say about Taringa?

-Becs
Old May 1st 2005, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

-Becs
When I was on Cocos (Keeling) Islands we regularly had nutters come through trying to beat the "World Record" of how many countries could they visit in the least time. Pretty mind boggling stuff, but after spending 5 minutes talking to some of them, there wasn't much of a mind to boggle!

Anyways, the thrust of my reply is that you can transit and spend no time at all in Australia.
Old May 1st 2005, 2:17 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Two weeks works well, if you cant get any more time off than that, provided you are sensible with your sleep on the plane, and dont sleep through most of the flight. The Emirates flight lands at 5.35 in the early evening, so if by then you are pretty tired, just have a few hours in your hotel/or similar, then get to bed at about tenish, you will sleep 10 or 11 hours and jetlag wont be a problem. It was worked for us on two occasions doing that anyway.

Idealy you would want 18+ days or so, and a day off on your return, as the jetlag does kick in on the return, because the flight times arent as accommodating.