Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

minimum decent salary for a single person in Melbourne with no mortage or dependents

minimum decent salary for a single person in Melbourne with no mortage or dependents

Old Sep 28th 2016, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

LucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really nice
Default minimum decent salary for a single person in Melbourne with no mortage or dependents

Who is not interested in buying a house , a car or having kids?
Old Sep 28th 2016, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: minimum decent salary for a single person in Melbourne with no mortage or depende

A bit of a loaded question!

How far out are you looking to live or are you looking to stay in shared accommodation closer to the CBD.

It could range from $60k to $100k. Rental accommodation can vary in price, size and quality. Shared accommodation can mean you end up with the smallest room in the house, depending on what you find. It also depends on the lifestyle you want and the job are in. Some careers do not pay that well, others do.

Having a place by your self, would incur extras like the white goods.

I find electricity can be expensive.

Rent prices have stablised the last few years, but the further you move away from the CBD the cheaper it is. If you are not interested in buying a car then you would ideally be looking North, East and SE Melbourne as they have better access to public transport and then looking somewhat closer to the CBD. Also look at areas that are connected by trams as after around 7/8pm the rail network can be a hassle especially if you have to get connecting trains.

Another factor to consider is what type of visa you will have. If a WHV, your options will be limited and probably only find jobs at the lower end of the pay scale.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: minimum decent salary for a single person in Melbourne with no mortage or depende

It's more to do with accomodation than anything else. 40K could be good if you were living free.... So It's accomodation where the sacrifice is, unless you start to earn over 115K.

Otherwise 60K onwards is where you can start to live independently... just where, how and with whom... Sharing with decent like minded professionals on a 60K income could buy you a better lifestyle than living on your own at 100K.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually a question that's food for thought. My own issue would be mostly to do with location and driving. I hate driving so living out beyond the Tram Fringe would be a definite downer for me. So on the average Melbourne income of circa 75K within the Tram network you would probably have to share.

To live independently, you would probably have to live in one of the outer suburbs on that average income and that would involve hours in the car sitting in traffic every week, which I personally would find abhorrent..... even to the extent of preferring to share...and I really don't like sharing either. But the hours in the car would be worse than dealing with peoples toe nails and dirty dishes from my point of view. Obviously this means I prefer using the tram and rail network for traveling to and from places whenever practical to do so.

On that basis it's a very personal decision. .... Me.... I would share as I earn the average income.... Oh and I like plenty of disposable income, so as to enjoy what lies within walking distance of inner urban living.

Get yourself the right job and location and you may well be able to save yourself the cost of running a car as well.... that equates to plenty of nights out enjoying yourself....You can only do that in the Inner Burbs really though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 28th 2016 at 1:12 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

LucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really nice

I saw a lab technician role I would def be suited for , Money is not the best 61k but its a nice 8-4pm Tuesday to Friday role
Old Sep 29th 2016, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LucasHood
I saw a lab technician role I would def be suited for , Money is not the best 61k but its a nice 8-4pm Tuesday to Friday role
Which part of Melbourne is the Job located would be a major consideration in my view.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucasHood
So as I understand it, you do not have a visa based on other threads you have posted. And a $61K job is at the very bottom end of the scale. From what I understand your are based in Ireland, if you can get a job there paying 30K pounds, not sure in Euros. I think it would be best to stay as $61k AU is not going to provide you a great standard of living.

Have to add after reading some of your posts, what is your reason in wanting to move? Obviously not money!

Last edited by evets; Sep 29th 2016 at 4:03 am. Reason: More Info
Old Sep 29th 2016, 7:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Which part of Melbourne is the Job located would be a major consideration in my view.
Definitely! Wouldn't want a huge travel cost on that budget.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

The job is in central Melbourne near CBD, I need a change I believe living in Melbourne would be a much nicer place to live . I have family there
Old Oct 12th 2016, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

In my view trams (discussed above) are an acquired taste - a bit like London buses. I find them painfully slow and unreliable. It doesn't get much publicity outside of Melbourne, but the city actually has a pretty good and (unlike London) very affordable train system, and (unlike London) there is negligible housing premium to pay for living near a station. There are plenty of quite desirable suburbs within 20 or so minutes train ride from the city (often less time than it takes to travel a few miles on a tram).
Old Oct 12th 2016, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DC10
In my view trams (discussed above) are an acquired taste - a bit like London buses. I find them painfully slow and unreliable. It doesn't get much publicity outside of Melbourne, but the city actually has a pretty good and (unlike London) very affordable train system, and (unlike London) there is negligible housing premium to pay for living near a station. There are plenty of quite desirable suburbs within 20 or so minutes train ride from the city (often less time than it takes to travel a few miles on a tram).
Totally agree, I remember some of first journey's on a tram and people talked to me. Coming from London and riding the tube, I wondered if they wanted to rob me

Another thing to consider, buses in Melbourne and not really used that much. People prefer Trams or Trains, which is odd.

I disagree about the housing premium living next to a station, think it more depends on the suburb also. Desirable suburbs with 20/30 mins does not mean affordable, especially as the OP has stated a salary of $61k. I would assume the OP would be looking at shared accommodation and depending on the suburb they may find it is not service by a train line only a tram and/or bus.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

There also seems to be a far higher incidence of crazy people on trams compared to trains. Again, this correlates with the buses (more crazies) v. trains thing in London.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DC10
There also seems to be a far higher incidence of crazy people on trams compared to trains. Again, this correlates with the buses (more crazies) v. trains thing in London.
HAHA so true, the tram going via fitzroy or down to St Kilda are great examples.

Then again, the Pakenham/Cranbourne train line is a bit of an eye opener also.