Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Minimum amount of £/$ have to take?

Minimum amount of £/$ have to take?

Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future
Default Minimum amount of £/$ have to take?

On my visa application form it asks how much $ you are planning on taking with you.

1] is there a minimum limit?

2] does the amount of money you say you'll be taking affect processing speeds or make you more favourable?

3] if you say $10,000 but can only take $5,000 nearer the time, do DIAC check up on this - do you have to sign a contract on the amount that you will take? do you have to provide bank statements etc to prove you have the cash?

Thanks!
x
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:04 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum amount of £/$ have to take?

They only ask so they can see that your planning on bringing enough to live on for your first year/2years.
They dont check either.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by katsmajic
They only ask so they can see that your planning on bringing enough to live on for your first year/2years.
They dont check either.
so if i put £2,500 - which is realistically all i can afford would this look bad? Would DIAC view this as not enough to live on for first yr/2 years?

I am going on an employer sponsored visa so i will have a job as soon as i land - would this make a difference?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
On my visa application form it asks how much $ you are planning on taking with you.

1] is there a minimum limit?

2] does the amount of money you say you'll be taking affect processing speeds or make you more favourable?

3] if you say $10,000 but can only take $5,000 nearer the time, do DIAC check up on this - do you have to sign a contract on the amount that you will take? do you have to provide bank statements etc to prove you have the cash?

Thanks!
x
As far as I'm aware you don't require any minimum funds as you'll be entitled to zero benefits, so if you don't have enough to survive then it's tough luck . I assme they take the stance that no one would be daft enough to not have some funds in place to help them set themselves up in Aus.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:22 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We orignally put down about twenty thousand pounds I think - perhaps more as that was our calculations and plans (cant remember exact amount)

In the two years it took to apply, things happened, situation changed, shit happened as it does in life and we ended up taking 7,000UK pounds.

At the end of the day we took what we had, not everything can be predicted in life - finances being one of them.

Good luck with whatever you take.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

koalatea is on a distinguished road

They appear to care not one jot. We had less than we predicted (in part because we lost 20% on our money with changes in the exchange rate between applying and arriving).

Then we got a $12k credit card off ANZ on the back of my wife doing one day's suppy teaching. Guess those days might have gone, however, in the light of recent events...
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The smallest denomination coin in Australia is 5c. So that would be the minimum.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:32 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalatea
They appear to care not one jot. We had less than we predicted (in part because we lost 20% on our money with changes in the exchange rate between applying and arriving).

Then we got a $12k credit card off ANZ on the back of my wife doing one day's suppy teaching. Guess those days might have gone, however, in the light of recent events...
I applied for a credit card with two banks, depsite having PR, despite our company using one of the banks and despite my having a mortgage with one bank and an account with the other, I have been turned down on 'grounds that I havent been in the country long enough.

Even though I am above the minimum wage requirement, over 18 and have PR.

They will lend me enough to buy a house but I cant have a credit card.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:23 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I applied for a credit card with two banks, depsite having PR, despite our company using one of the banks and despite my having a mortgage with one bank and an account with the other, I have been turned down on 'grounds that I havent been in the country long enough.
Bizarre... I haven't even arrived yet and my bank have sorted me out a credit card. Although I don't get it until I actually show up at the branch, of course!

I guess they apply whatever rules they see fit...

Cheers
b
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

koalatea is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Even though I am above the minimum wage requirement, over 18 and have PR.

They will lend me enough to buy a house but I cant have a credit card.
We must've slipped through the net. They're doing alright out of us as a result, however - whacked a car on it within four days and still haven't paid it off. Oops
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I'm going alone, and I *hope* to be taking about £14,000 with me. But that's all of my life savings (at 25yrs) and I really don't want to use any of it if I can help it.

I may even leave most of it in the UK, and just transfer £2,000 across to help me get started and then move the rest over when I may want/need it.

I don't think there's an amount on my application though? I think I read somewhere about having $10,000 per person, but I never had to state how much I had.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
I'm going alone, and I *hope* to be taking about £14,000 with me. But that's all of my life savings (at 25yrs) and I really don't want to use any of it if I can help it.

I may even leave most of it in the UK, and just transfer £2,000 across to help me get started and then move the rest over when I may want/need it.

I don't think there's an amount on my application though? I think I read somewhere about having $10,000 per person, but I never had to state how much I had.
Hi Guys

If any consolation, I am being sponsored too and have recently got the visa. On the application form, I asked company solicitor what to put as fund and he said don't worry about it...So I didn't!! I still got the visa!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Syedney
Hi Guys

If any consolation, I am being sponsored too and have recently got the visa. On the application form, I asked company solicitor what to put as fund and he said don't worry about it...So I didn't!! I still got the visa!!
so in summary, DIAC are just being nosey and dont really care!!

Thanks for your help. Was worried that id need to take out a parental loan and then pay back once granted a visa!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The smallest denomination coin in Australia is 5c. So that would be the minimum.
Does that mean the 24 cents I have in copper are now worthless? Damn credit crunch :curse:
Old Oct 9th 2008, 12:52 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

im sure it says somewhere that you need at least 2 years' salary to start up with - basically cos you cant claim benefits for first 2 years. dont recall ever having read anyone being asked to show proof of what they are taking tho.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.