Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The mines in Perth

The mines in Perth

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Default The mines in Perth

Anybody tell me anything about the mines? Do you need a trade? Can you work casual / temporary ie for 2 - 6 weeks? What is the av rate of pay for a non-qualified / tradesman working there? How safe are these mines? What are they mining - sorry my ignorance?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The mines in Perth

Well, the mines are not in Perth, but either up north (Port Hedland, Kimberley, etc) or east (Kalgoorlie). You will probably need a trade to work there...otherwise what did you plan to do? Probably pretty unlikely that you can work temp at the mines. There are many different types of mines in WA, diamonds, coal, gold, other minerals. Yes, the mines are relatively safe as far as mines go.

Take a look at some of the mining companies for what opportunities are available for your particular skills/experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_...tern_Australia
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Worsley (google them ) also has a massive expansion going on at their Collie site which is 50 (ish) km out of Bunbury. THey do 'drive in drive out' and the company is currently snapping up all sorts of housing around Australind for its workers. May be worth a look if you dont wanna go way up north. I believe Iluka, which has place in Caple and also one North of Harvey also do the same sort of work (but dont quote me on that one!)
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Icegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant future

I can't help with your work queries, sorry but I would look into it if you can get a job before going for it.
I worked in a few mining toiwns and lived in Kalgoorlie for a year and it's definitely different.
It really takes dedication I'd say to be in that environment.
I see you have three kids, I was there as a young single woman and I wouldn't take my daughter there to live at all.
I think it could be hard even if you were FIFO. I know a lot of guys found it very dificult and a lot of marriages went down the pan.
Oh, and I hated Collie every time I went btw, I'd take Kal, or Leonora or Mt Magnet over there any day!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icegirl
I can't help with your work queries, sorry but I would look into it if you can get a job before going for it.
I worked in a few mining toiwns and lived in Kalgoorlie for a year and it's definitely different.
It really takes dedication I'd say to be in that environment.
I see you have three kids, I was there as a young single woman and I wouldn't take my daughter there to live at all.
I think it could be hard even if you were FIFO. I know a lot of guys found it very dificult and a lot of marriages went down the pan.
Oh, and I hated Collie every time I went btw, I'd take Kal, or Leonora or Mt Magnet over there any day!
Yes I think you can safely say the newly arrived british bride with 3 kids, interpretation of the australian dream is probably not some mining town 1700 klms from civilisation.

Seriously, most men fly in fly out, so wife would probably be in perth with 3 small kids and no family back up for weeks at a time. R has flown in and out of projects in North qld and at that time we had 3 kids of various ages. Frankly most women would not want to be dumped in that situation on arrival in a new country which they may/may not even like.

However as a teacher rural/remote life might be part of the WA education system if you want a postiing with them, so more research on these type of places might be worthwhile not just for mines.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

sparkytoadie is an unknown quantity at this point

you cant simply walk onto the mines, you will need first aid, Hr license, marksta as well as other things.

For unskilled minesite workers the money aint that great neither the shift rotation 2on 1 off paying around $90k a year.

might as well stay in the big smoke and live life
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Anybody tell me anything about the mines? Do you need a trade? Can you work casual / temporary ie for 2 - 6 weeks? What is the av rate of pay for a non-qualified / tradesman working there? How safe are these mines? What are they mining - sorry my ignorance?
Everyone seems to think the mines are great,want the money.You're not close to Perth and you would generally work 7 X 10 hr or12hr shifts for 13 days straight.The days when the companies gave you a house close to the mine and you lived there with your family are long gone.Whole towns disappeared.

In my glory days (cue B Springsteen) chasing the money in the 80,s we did 7 X 12 usually with 6 weeks on 1 week off.

I see some of the young tradesmen that do shutdowns once in awhile,they tend to work 6 months of the year.They went chasing the big money and they all say the same thing,staff turnover is extremely high as the heat and long hours really grind you down.Some people think it is great though.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
Everyone seems to think the mines are great,want the money.You're not close to Perth and you would generally work 7 X 10 hr or12hr shifts for 13 days straight.The days when the companies gave you a house close to the mine and you lived there with your family are long gone.Whole towns disappeared.

In my glory days (cue B Springsteen) chasing the money in the 80,s we did 7 X 12 usually with 6 weeks on 1 week off.

I see some of the young tradesmen that do shutdowns once in awhile,they tend to work 6 months of the year.They went chasing the big money and they all say the same thing,staff turnover is extremely high as the heat and long hours really grind you down.Some people think it is great though.
Agree. You either hate it or love it. I think it takes a specific type of person to be able to handle it. Marriages can take a lot of strain and some fail. Some guys, especially the more senior/experienced guys, can make a fortune. The senior superintendents on our project can earn $300-500k. Also, a lot of younger guys who are looking for good experience, head up there, and some end up doing quite well.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Icegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree. You either hate it or love it. I think it takes a specific type of person to be able to handle it. Marriages can take a lot of strain and some fail. Some guys, especially the more senior/experienced guys, can make a fortune. The senior superintendents on our project can earn $300-500k. Also, a lot of younger guys who are looking for good experience, head up there, and some end up doing quite well.
I always thought the sensible guys went in, made the money for a few years and got out with good savings.
This doesn't apply to everyone of course but I saw so many guys who were still there years later, hating it and spending most of their wages in the pub night after night. All they did was drink and work. This was in Kal btw where most weren't FIFO and a lot I met in other towns who were FIFO were having major marriage issues. A lot of affairs going on.
I had a lot of fun there, made some great mates, had a great social life, made a lot of money but no way would I have stayed to raise a family.
Obviously I came home but I said to the ex at the time I'd stay in Kal 3 more years max to save money and then if I stayed in Oz it would have to be Sydney.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

On the other hand Collie is only half an hour's drive to Dalyellup, which is a nice family place to live, 10 mins from Bunbury with nice beaches and great schools. We went to look at it on our reccie and the people in the newsagents said lots of Collie workers live there. Also Australind and surrounds aren't bad. If you're not a miner, you need to have a heavy driver's license or builder's ticket or something useful. We were tempted, but decided on Queensland.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:27 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder

It varies. If you work for a sub-contractor on a mine expansion it can be as much as 4 weeks on before you get a week off, and yes 12 hour days are normal – but what else would you do? There is usually a gym plus wet and dry messes but that is it. Pay reflects that of course.

But the better mining companies do much better rosters. Week on, week off is becoming common (as it means they can better utilise limited accommodation). All training including H&S is provided. If you are lucky and want that sort of thing there are still residential jobs available in places like Karratha, Tom Price and Newman and I assume inland and south as well. Those jobs come with a premium of about 30 / 35% on Perth rates and include discounted amenities and accommodation.

I have not lived up north but had several day trips to site. I love it up there for the scenery and camaraderie but with a wife and 11 year old options are limited. There is a high school in Tom Price so it could work. 7 days without nagging has its advantages too!

You either love it or hate it, I guess. But I don’t think it is a good move when you have just moved over with all the other stresses in your life.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future

G'day,

I hear that the drivers of those big dump trucks (CAT 797B) make realy good money $100k+.

1) Is this true?

2) What License do you need and how do you get it? Is there private training centres that you can do it in or is it done through the mining company you work for?

All info appreciated
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:59 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwinow
On the other hand Collie is only half an hour's drive to Dalyellup, which is a nice family place to live, 10 mins from Bunbury with nice beaches and great schools. We went to look at it on our reccie and the people in the newsagents said lots of Collie workers live there. Also Australind and surrounds aren't bad. If you're not a miner, you need to have a heavy driver's license or builder's ticket or something useful. We were tempted, but decided on Queensland.
maybe half an hour in a plane,never did it in less than 55 minutes keepin to speed limits
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, I stand corrected. I was just going by what the locals told us.
I guess you could still call that commutable distance, which might be preferable to living separately from your famly. Sounds like it's not that great a place to work though.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I live North of Perth, and quite a few families have bought in Geraldton. So its not so far to go for work. Also rents way cheaper than say Karratha.
The family stays in Geraldton while hubbies fly in and out.
Also building a port here for the mines, and rail so looks like its going to get busier around here.
Mind you town seams to have had lots of money chucked at it recently. New marina, waterpark on the beach, and we keep getting leaflets with new waterfront developments and new housing.

Gems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.