Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Millionaire families claim Family tax benefit

Millionaire families claim Family tax benefit

Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:45 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Millionaire families claim Family tax benefit

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
It's a bit like Who Wants to be a Millionaire. The big winners are most likely to be those with a bit of money already.

A.

Yeah what an anti-climax, the first millionaire winner was flippin related to the royal family or something. Jeez

And the second winner had a mate with a cough

No-one has won the million in Aus yet. Nobody has had the balls to go for it yet.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:55 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Yeah what an anti-climax, the first millionaire winner was flippin related to the royal family or something. Jeez

And the second winner had a mate with a cough

No-one has won the million in Aus yet. Nobody has had the balls to go for it yet.
I think it's less likely to happen in Oz because the entry system restricts you to 1 entry per week (or whatever the current entry period is), whereas in the UK, you could enter as many times as you like. Which is how the cheating Major, his wife and his brother-in-law all managed to get on. They worked out that if you rang about 100 times over a small period of time you had a large chance of getting on. (Personally I prefer the more egalitarian Oz system, and it's only 55c per call compared with over £1.)

A.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:58 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
My bank [HSBC] requires a minimum amount of $1,000 in both accounts [I have two] at any one time for me to get free banking
Mine doesn't

Must be a better class of HSBC down here mate
Old Aug 12th 2005, 1:47 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Why is it that anyone that earns alot of money (& therefore pays a huge amount of tax) is "ripping off the system"? And why are the people getting the most money from the government "copping it sweet"?

As for your last question, if you think that they are the only ones who who either rip off the system or get caught you need to wake up - its simply that they are the ones that you hear about the most .
MartinH made a statement that because he possibly pays more tax than anybody else earns, he reckons he should be entitled to get more money back than people that pay less. He should get a better tax agent to lessen his tax liabilities. As it is, under new income tax relief, higher earners get a bigger break than lower or middle class earners, and that is by the federal gov'ts own figures.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:51 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Bloke
MartinH made a statement that because he possibly pays more tax than anybody else earns, he reckons he should be entitled to get more money back than people that pay less. He should get a better tax agent to lessen his tax liabilities. As it is, under new income tax relief, higher earners get a bigger break than lower or middle class earners, and that is by the federal gov'ts own figures.
MartinH said

'Excuse me but that is total bull - I have always been amongst the 10% of tax earners and probably pay more tax than most people earn - doesn't that entitle me to something back? '

Nowhere does he say that he reckons he should get MORE back than people who pay less tax ! Please read carefully what people have written before replying with total rubbish.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:09 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Wrong

They are entitled to Family benefit and rent assistance and maybe some more.

There are plenty of threads on here from people asking how they can claim them before they even get there.

Are these people different to the ones you have in mind?

G
Yes they are different !

Family assistance and rent assistance wouldn't be enough to pay all their bills.
they would have to be self supporting to pay these bills.

Economic migrants are those people who go to a country uninvited, they are not being persecuted or under threat of death. They go just to claim lots of benefits (more than Family assistance and rent assistance ) without having paid any taxes.

I'm not aware British expats go to Australia to sponge off the state. The criteria that enables them to emigrate to Australia means that they are self suppoprting and virtually all will work and thereby pay taxes.

Grayling lets not get into a petty debate about trying to compare British expats to economic migrants.

The bottom line is that the rich pay more taxes, this pays the benefits given to those that don't have so much money.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:23 pm

... As it is, under new income tax relief, higher earners get a bigger break than lower or middle class earners, and that is by the federal gov'ts own figures.
Are you suggesting that the rich pay less tax or less tax proportionately than the poor? If not, then what's the big break they are getting?

A
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Not quite ABCDiamond.

My bank [HSBC] requires a minimum amount of $1,000 in both accounts [I have two] at any one time for me to get free banking
Is yours the Online Savings Account ?
From what I have read, it doesn't say anything about having to have a minimum balance.

Just looking it all up now.....
Their Cash Management Account has a monthly fee of $10 if the balance is under $10,000

Their Premier Cash Management Account has a fee of $35 pm (the more you have the more you pay )

The Savings Cheque Account (must be the one you have) has a $7.50 (increased on 1/7/05) monthly fee payable where average monthly balance falls below $1,000

But the Online Savings Account specifies: Monthly service fee = $ nil

Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I

The Savings Cheque Account (must be the one you have) has a $7.50 (increased on 1/7/05) monthly fee payable where average monthly balance falls below $1,000

But the Online Savings Account specifies: Monthly service fee = $ nil
Thats my one

Isn't there some dodgy % age charge with cheque accounts that make them not worth while??
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by hevs
Thats my one

Isn't there some dodgy % age charge with cheque accounts that make them not worth while??
There used to be a state tax (in Vic) on all transactions on your cheque account. This stopped at the beginning of July.

A
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:34 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
MartinH said

'Excuse me but that is total bull - I have always been amongst the 10% of tax earners and probably pay more tax than most people earn - doesn't that entitle me to something back? '

Nowhere does he say that he reckons he should get MORE back than people who pay less tax ! Please read carefully what people have written before replying with total rubbish.
Exactly.

Are you suggesting that the rich pay less tax or less tax proportionately than the poor? If not, then what's the big break they are getting?

A
Thats what I wondered too - from my calculations the top 2 rates of tax are alot more than the bottom 2 rates of tax, so in fact those on high incomes pay a hell of alot more in tax than those on low incomes.

Maybe the Bloke lives under a different tax system to us?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:34 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

A
They got more tax cuts from what I see and read in the media of up to $70+ per week for the top bracket while people on the lower rates got about $5-$6 per week percentage-wise. This small rises for the lower bracket is quickly taken by rises in fuel prices(as well as GST component) and price rises in goods and services, which then increases the amount of GST taken by the gov't, which would not necessarily be felt by people in the higher bracket.

Oh, by the way, you have all missed the point if my original post that it is only a minority that has in the past abused the system to gain benefits by using loopholes in the system. If you can use the system to your advantge, well bully for you. I was comparing what was on this thread with what has happened several years ago with the Home Loans Grant were people where applying for the grant in their childrens names and being granted it before the loophole was exposed by the press.

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 12th 2005 at 10:50 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
New figures show 76 families with incomes of more than $1 million claimed Family Tax Benefit B in 2004-05.
The rich families are able to claim the tax benefit, worth more than $3,000 for people with children under five, because the income tests are based only on the secondary earner

Three families earning more than $1 million were among the recipients of FTB (A), which is assessed on the income of both parents and the number and age of their children.

A spokeswoman for Senator Patterson last night said the minister had asked her department to provide details of the millionaire families receiving FTB B.

"On the face of the information provided she did have some concerns and asked the department for more information on the profile of these families," she said.

It is understood Senator Patterson is considering changes because of concerns about the growing numbers claiming the benefit.

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...55E953,00.html
Good luck to them. If you can legally get away with paying as little tax as possible, then party on. I'm certainly going to try & minimise the tax I pay/what I can claim when we get down there, just like I do in the UK.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I think they should abandon FTB and increase FTA. Everyone is then means tested and those who need the cash get the cash. It is ashame when the politics of jealousy get in the way of sensible taxes.

My only problem with the recent tax cuts is that the opportunity for real tax reform has gone. The system rewards people for watching their investment housing increase in value and putting the nation into debt. Instead hard graft should be rewarded as that is how the nations wealth is generated.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:10 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

They got more tax cuts from what I see and read in the media of up to $70+ per week for the top bracket while people on the lower rates got about $5-$6 per week percentage-wise. This small rises for the lower bracket is quickly taken by rises in fuel prices(as well as GST component) and price rises in goods and services, which then increases the amount of GST taken by the gov't, which would not necessarily be felt by people in the higher bracket.
The long & the short of it is that people earning more money get more money in their wage packet at the end of the month because they earn more money.

If you earnt enough to pay over $30K+ in tax, I wonder if you would be so up in arms about someone claiming a paltry $3000 (that they are entitled to claim under the current system too, I might add)?

Oh, by the way, you have all missed the point if my original post that it is only a minority that has in the past abused the system to gain benefits by using loopholes in the system. If you can use the system to your advantge, well bully for you. I was comparing what was on this thread with what has happened several years ago with the Home Loans Grant were people where applying for the grant in their childrens names and being granted it before the loophole was exposed by the press.
Your posts came across as agressive towards anyone who dared to earn a good wage & claimed anything, regardless of whether they were entitled to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.