Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses

Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses

Old Jul 6th 2004, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses

Originally posted by Jacko1
I agree with the fact that I can not figure out how people up and go to a country they have never been to! I have spent a lot of time in Australia with my other half and our chilodren, deciding if we want to live in Australia and where we want to live.
We have decided it is the place to go, however, you could very easily wind up migrating to the wrong place/subberb and have a terrible time!

Paul J

It depends... not al of us have kids to worry about and not all of us have to worry about finding work. With that in mind, why not treat it all as an adventure? We did. Dint like NZ so moved here and love it.
Once again, everybodies life is different and encompasses different circumstances. I reckon if we got offered a chance of trying yet somewhere else... for the adventure we might...why not?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 7:48 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Marakai
We moved from the Bay Area to CO when we didn't have a dotcom killing coming in and were priced out of the market with a household income of $200K (back then).

Was a big mistake... it's not the fundie South, but it's close.

Interesting philosophical question arose the other night, whether we would be going to Oz if we'd stayed in CA. I tend to think yes - California is in its own world of hurt. Who knows...

When are you guys heading out?

Mike
Oh blimey, so ski-ing in Denver didn't make up for it, then...?

SFO always feels like a spiritual home for me (but then, when I lived there I was a hippy on Haight-Ashbury, so a rather different type of life... )

Should be arriving in Melbourne between Aug 10-12 - will beat you guys by a few days!

Anya.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:13 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth

You can combine fun thing on a fact finding trip, like a visit to the zoo or the Afghan camel herder's cemetary.

Renth, have you been yet. You know that i'm desperate to know if its as good as it sounds
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by anya4oz
Oh blimey, so ski-ing in Denver didn't make up for it, then...?
Don't ski. I'm a person of water and air. I fly, I (horseback) ride and I dive, but snow and ice isn't for me. (says he who worked in the Antarctic...)

Mike
Old Jul 7th 2004, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jacko1
I agree with the fact that I can not figure out how people up and go to a country they have never been to!
Paul J

I am a perfect example for that I came to the UK 12 years ago without ever visiting or having any English lessons. I am still here. Somehow I made it, it isn't always easy but you can do it. I suspect that should be the same for Australia. We are all different and have different levels on how we can cope with certain things. If you have no big family and the ones you have you don't get on with, then I can't see how you are going to suffer from people sickness (Missing people). Again everyone is different and to say the answer is not to sell your house well maybe I am a bit thick but trying to rent it out to pay for the mortgage isn't always an easy option and then trying to sell it when you are not there to take care of things don't sound to me that easy either.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 3:54 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by simbacat
I am a perfect example for that I came to the UK 12 years ago without ever visiting or having any English lessons. I am still here. Somehow I made it, it isn't always easy but you can do it. I suspect that should be the same for Australia. We are all different and have different levels on how we can cope with certain things. If you have no big family and the ones you have you don't get on with, then I can't see how you are going to suffer from people sickness (Missing people). Again everyone is different and to say the answer is not to sell your house well maybe I am a bit thick but trying to rent it out to pay for the mortgage isn't always an easy option and then trying to sell it when you are not there to take care of things don't sound to me that easy either.
I think what some of us are trying to say is if you have this option then go for it. Emigrating (Right!! or Wrong!!) is about making choices and those that have the option are saying leave an opening to go back.

no big deal, people sometimes change their minds! Going to Aus is not a once in a life time deal, once you get the visas you have five years!

Cheers
Old Jul 8th 2004, 12:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
Renth, have you been yet. You know that i'm desperate to know if its as good as it sounds
Well, as it's only 2000 miles away I'll see if I can get there this weekend.

The bonus is you can also take in another couple of "must see" tourist spots...

The captive boab and concrete crocodile!
Attached Thumbnails Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses-wyndham.gif  
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:00 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, Derby!

You can also have your appendix taken out there
My dad had to travel from Broome, in a bumpy ambulance, over a bumpy road with appendicitis!!!
Was a nightmare he said!

Been there once, round Oz trip.
Only remember the boab:
Attached Thumbnails Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses-boabtree.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone
Ahh, Derby!
Close, it's actually Wyndham.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:50 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Oops! Derrrrrrrrrrrrr

I saw the 'captive boab' and thought Derby
But that would be the 'Prison boab' or similar.

Geez, if I'd looked at the map better! Pretty obvious
Old Jul 8th 2004, 12:50 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
Well, as it's only 2000 miles away I'll see if I can get there this weekend.

The bonus is you can also take in another couple of "must see" tourist spots...

The captive boab and concrete crocodile!
Well, i can hardly contain myself
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

What gets to me about this site is that people assume what works for them will work for everyone! Just because one person thinks you should not emigrate without visiting first does not mean it would be imperative to all!

Everyone is different, even people that are emigrating!!! This is sometimes forgotten on here. Just like different regions and parts of australia are completely different!

I know people out here that are happy and never came on a reccie visit before they left. Likewise there must be people that dislke it. We came on a reccie visit as we needed more peace of mind and wanted to narrow down areas to live in, but for everyone this is not the case!

Advising people to keep their house in the Uk is a haphazard thing to do considering you don't know anyones situation but your own! You are just thinking of what was good for you. For example we needed to sell ours so we could bring money out with us. Renting it out would have made our move very difficult financially, and we are so glad we sold it.

I am not aiming these points at anyone in particular. they are just general comments.

Last edited by tinaj; Jul 8th 2004 at 10:09 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:38 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default good post

Hi Tina

Excellent post, and very well put. I would dearly love to hang onto the house here, not as a safety net, but as an investment. But financially we just cannot afford to do it. We are going out for a look-see before we settle...but it is tempting not to..and just hang onto the dosh. My husband and I are very adventurous and are looking forward to the next chapter of our lives together. If we dont settle, so what? We will move on somewhere else...and nothing anyone posts here is gonna put us off our dreams and ambitions! So I reiterate..that was a great post!

Lucy
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:01 pm
kong

Default Re: good post

Originally posted by lucyb
Hi Tina

Excellent post, and very well put. I would dearly love to hang onto the house here, not as a safety net, but as an investment. But financially we just cannot afford to do it. We are going out for a look-see before we settle...but it is tempting not to..and just hang onto the dosh. My husband and I are very adventurous and are looking forward to the next chapter of our lives together. If we dont settle, so what? We will move on somewhere else...and nothing anyone posts here is gonna put us off our dreams and ambitions! So I reiterate..that was a great post!

Lucy
The dreamland express shows no sign of running out of steam, all aboard!

Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:04 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry did you say something new, Mr Broken Record? You are a male hen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.