Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses

Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses

Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses

Originally posted by scutterUK

one of the joys of being single i guess, nobody else to worry about but yourself.
Good on yer!

I sometimes wish I'd done it when I first came to down under and was single and footloose and had the chance to stay.

Water under a bridge, as they say. And I wouldn't have met my wife if I hadn't gone to the US first. Better this way, without a doubt.

Mike
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:46 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Marakai
Good on yer!

I sometimes wish I'd done it when I first came to down under and was single and footloose and had the chance to stay.

Water under a bridge, as they say. And I wouldn't have met my wife if I hadn't gone to the US first. Better this way, without a doubt.

Mike
cheers fellah.

you have to do these things while you can.....
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:49 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Oh, maybe a handful of geeks running a BBS with 1200bps modems. And about as many as HAM operators.

Mike
Eeehh, 1200! LUXURY. When I were a lass posting on our company BBoards years ago in Boston MA, we had all of 9600 thru a very hissy dial up modem (scared the cats sh*tless when I fired it up ).

Would you believe, much of the chat (within a large global organisation) across this primitive equipment was about... is living in the US better than living in the UK? If you leave the Singapore office to go back to the UK, have you failed? Can you buy Marmite anywhere in the USA?

Plus sa change....

(Had some dam' good games of International 'Mornington Crescent', though).

Anya.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Have we been to Oz before? - No

Do we have friends and/or family out there - No

Are we keeping our house in the UK when we go? - No

Guess we don't tick any of the right boxes then.

It doesn't make our emigration experience any less worthy or hard-earned than others.

We are just as likely to fail due to homesickness, culture shock, unemployment etc. as those who have been to Australia many times for a holiday.

In my defence, we are, however, going for a reconaissance mission this Autumn and if at that point feel it is isn't for us - we'll do something different.

I hope it all works out for everyone no matter how green they are.

olive
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:58 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Must...set...up...meeting...must...geek...out...

As for staying: I've been joking to friends that our options are limited. Unless they finally open up space colonies.

For me, returning to the US is no more an option, barring major political and social changes to the better, than going back to Germany, where I'm originally from.

For my wife, Germany is also no more an option than it is for me.

Maybe we'll make enough dosh to comfortably retire in NZ. Uh yeah, and maybe pigs will fly us to colonies on Alpha Centauri...

As for your last sentence: PRINTOUTS? how quaint!

Mike
We have the option of going back to the US, too; however like you, I'm not too certain about the current 'management setup'.

If we do go back, guess it would be to SFO

Printouts - the new cool thang, m' dear. Those PDAs - so last year

Anya.

PS: My Family are German, too - am hertz, ich bin Berliner madchen.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scutterUK
i wouldn't necessarily agree with the way you put it, but to me it is a trial in a way. i'll be going on my own without support and i want to know if i can make a go of it. This i'm doing more for personal reasons than i am for personal gain.

If i have to come back to the UK i wont see it that i've failed, but more that it i didn't work. i would have only failed if i hadn't tried.

my goals in life are very few and i don't need much to be happy. what i need to be happy i know i can achieve.

one of the joys of being single i guess, nobody else to worry about but yourself.
A lot of people comment that 'whether you stay in Oz or return at least you've tried.'

That's true - but, far more importantly you learn a lot about yourself - what's really important to you and what isn't. And, once you know that, you can use it to focus the rest of your life. I believe the emigration experience is worth it for that alone.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jul 5th 2004 at 10:01 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 10:05 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by MikeStanton
A lot of people comment that 'whether you stay in Oz or return at least you've tried.'

That's true - but, far more importantly you learn a lot about yourself - what's really important to you and what isn't. And, once you know that, you can use it to focus the rest of your life - I believe the emigration experience is worth it for that alone.
Thoroughly agree, Mike, very true. And it works no matter how old you are - I did all my *real* personal development being taken to live in new country after new country by my wildly ambitious academic Mom (5 countries in my first 9 years!). Can't recommend it enough for sheer 'flying hours' of experience.

Anya.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 10:24 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

That's true - but, far more importantly you learn a lot about yourself - what's really important to you and what isn't. And, once you know that, you can use it to focus the rest of your life. I believe the emigration experience is worth it for that alone.
The gold diggers of the 19th century were similarly philosophical about their empty pockets.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by anya4oz
We have the option of going back to the US, too; however like you, I'm not too certain about the current 'management setup'.

If we do go back, guess it would be to SFO
We moved from the Bay Area to CO when we didn't have a dotcom killing coming in and were priced out of the market with a household income of $200K (back then).

Was a big mistake... it's not the fundie South, but it's close.

Interesting philosophical question arose the other night, whether we would be going to Oz if we'd stayed in CA. I tend to think yes - California is in its own world of hurt. Who knows...

When are you guys heading out?

Mike
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:59 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

If you can, rent for a while (1 year+) - renting in Oz is relatively cheap. It may seem like money 'down the drain', but it could turn out be a damn sight cheaper than trying to get back on the UK housing ladder. It just gives you more flexibility.

Edit: I used to think that people who emigrate to anywhere, without having visited it first, need a trip to a psychiatrist's couch. But, I'm not so sure. What Hiddenpaw says is true - a holiday is totally different from living it day to day. Different frame of mind, different needs and different expectations.
Good post.

Were about to flog our house in the UK we've been in Perth 16 months now.

As for your point about visiting before migrating. I think there is a difference between a holiday in Australia and a fact finding trip.

You can combine fun thing on a fact finding trip, like a visit to the zoo or the Afghan camel herder's cemetary.

If you are on "holiday" it's very unlikely you will be touring schools or visiting homes for sale or talking to recruitment agents.

I still think people who come here knowing little about the place other than what they've seen on TV are likely to end up in the 40%-50% returning to the UK.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:18 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Don't agree with that either

It's right for us, nuff said

Jill

p.s. BTW we're not daft you know
Whilst you may not agree with it I would advise people to "consider" it. I have been here for 8 months and it that time we know several people who have gone back after only a few months. They found very quickly that the life was not for them for a multitude of reasons.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 3:05 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

We left a house in the UK for a year and rented here. Some of it was to do with the fact we at first only came out on temp visas but knew we were trying to stay for good.

Far from making us feel we had a safety net to run back to it made us focus on what did we want the outcome to be of decisions we made etc, were they right for us etc. When we finally sold the house in the UK it was because we wanted to buy and commit to staying for at least another five years and could not of afforded housing in Sydney without the UK money.

I have days of indecision about lving here (had those in the UK too) but what I feel we did was not jump too quickly and know we could of returned if we had found the 10 hrs we spent in Sydney before we came here to live not up to our expectations of a life in Aus!

Every story if different but if you can make returning an easier option just in case you have difficulty the first time (you can have numerous attempts at this once you get the first five year visa!!)

Renting (regardless of income from UK housing) for a while can also mean you can take a while on making costly mistakes about areas etc.

Cheers
Old Jul 6th 2004, 6:53 am
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]Mike

(*) Here's something I personally consider a measure of whether you will succeed long-term: when you stop calling the country you came from "home". Robert Hughes in his domentary "Beyond the Fatal Shore" made some fascinating observations, especially on newly arrived Brits, but even on Australians of British descent, who after years and years still call England "home".

Not so.

Both my parents emmigrated permanently, both emmigrated when they were young, and died at a ripe old age,

But both always referred to the UK as "home"!!

That does not mean that they did not consider their new home to be such a place, merely a different nuance on the meaning of the word "home"
Old Jul 6th 2004, 7:31 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Hello,

I couldn't quite resist this post. Hope it doesn't step on too many toes. What brought this about is all the self-righteous slamming of people like Kong.

Now, to make it clear from the start, I find his postings annoying and with regards to Australia, nothing short of vindictive.

They really should go in the Returning to UK forum - where there are plenty of people writing reams over reams of this sort of diatribe. They'd be only too happy to agree with him and sing a boisterous round of Rule Britannia with him. That seems to be the general attitude "over there".

Thing is, he's entitled to his opinion - and, I'm sorry to say - in some way he's a valid balance to all the happy happy joy joy posts.

What I can't help wondering, is how many people who are now slamming Australia over on Returning to UK, in the same way Kong is here, sounded like many of the cheerleaders here only 2 or 3 years ago? How many who now make Australia sound like some blend between Uzbekistan and Tierra del Fuego once spoke about it like.... well, like England with better weather or some other perceived paradise?

I found the poll quite interesting. While the majority have been to Oz before, I personally still find 20% of those intending to migrate to NEVER having been to Australia a frightening number. You would truly upset your life and go to a place you have never seen in your life? It's probably the anal kraut in me that finds that an alien notion. But I do wonder if that 20% correlates in any way with the similar number of people returning "home" after 2 years.

Yes, I am raining on the parade. For myself, the love of Australia and the wish to live there is something that has grown over many years, and repeated trips. Even so, it was a painstaking process of comparing the pros and cons of everything, from wages and healthcare, to the cost of food and cars. From taxes to the cost of a haircut. And that's just the monetary comparisons. Add to that laws, society, language(! - it *is* a different language )

I sincerely hope that all here who make it will discover that Australia is truly their new home and that through the ups and downs they never regret their decision. Some I wouldn't mind meeting up with and becoming friends with! What pains me is the thought of whether some of you, two years from now, will be posting the same sort of messages of vicious hatred for Australia as Kong posts here and others do on R2UK.

In summary: don't lose contact with the ground under your feet to a point where touching back down really, really hurts. :lecture:

Cheers an' no 'arm meant, mates!
Mike (Flight date Aug 15)
I agree with the fact that I can not figure out how people up and go to a country they have never been to! I have spent a lot of time in Australia with my other half and our chilodren, deciding if we want to live in Australia and where we want to live.
We have decided it is the place to go, however, you could very easily wind up migrating to the wrong place/subberb and have a terrible time!

Paul J
Old Jul 6th 2004, 7:38 am
Go Banana's !!

This is getting scary........I AGREE:scared:

Jill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.