Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses

Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses

Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough
Default Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses

Hello,

I couldn't quite resist this post. Hope it doesn't step on too many toes. What brought this about is all the self-righteous slamming of people like Kong.

Now, to make it clear from the start, I find his postings annoying and with regards to Australia, nothing short of vindictive.

They really should go in the Returning to UK forum - where there are plenty of people writing reams over reams of this sort of diatribe. They'd be only too happy to agree with him and sing a boisterous round of Rule Britannia with him. That seems to be the general attitude "over there".

Thing is, he's entitled to his opinion - and, I'm sorry to say - in some way he's a valid balance to all the happy happy joy joy posts.

What I can't help wondering, is how many people who are now slamming Australia over on Returning to UK, in the same way Kong is here, sounded like many of the cheerleaders here only 2 or 3 years ago? How many who now make Australia sound like some blend between Uzbekistan and Tierra del Fuego once spoke about it like.... well, like England with better weather or some other perceived paradise?

I found the poll quite interesting. While the majority have been to Oz before, I personally still find 20% of those intending to migrate to NEVER having been to Australia a frightening number. You would truly upset your life and go to a place you have never seen in your life? It's probably the anal kraut in me that finds that an alien notion. But I do wonder if that 20% correlates in any way with the similar number of people returning "home" after 2 years.

Yes, I am raining on the parade. For myself, the love of Australia and the wish to live there is something that has grown over many years, and repeated trips. Even so, it was a painstaking process of comparing the pros and cons of everything, from wages and healthcare, to the cost of food and cars. From taxes to the cost of a haircut. And that's just the monetary comparisons. Add to that laws, society, language(! - it *is* a different language )

I sincerely hope that all here who make it will discover that Australia is truly their new home and that through the ups and downs they never regret their decision. Some I wouldn't mind meeting up with and becoming friends with! What pains me is the thought of whether some of you, two years from now, will be posting the same sort of messages of vicious hatred for Australia as Kong posts here and others do on R2UK.

In summary: don't lose contact with the ground under your feet to a point where touching back down really, really hurts. :lecture:

Cheers an' no 'arm meant, mates!
Mike (Flight date Aug 15)
Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:40 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice
Default Re: Mild lecture to those with the rose-tinted glasses

Originally posted by Marakai
Hello,

I couldn't quite resist this post. Hope it doesn't step on too many toes. What brought this about is all the self-righteous slamming of people like Kong.

Now, to make it clear from the start, I find his postings annoying and with regards to Australia, nothing short of vindictive.

They really should go in the Returning to UK forum - where there are plenty of people writing reams over reams of this sort of diatribe. They'd be only too happy to agree with him and sing a boisterous round of Rule Britannia with him. That seems to be the general attitude "over there".

Thing is, he's entitled to his opinion - and, I'm sorry to say - in some way he's a valid balance to all the happy happy joy joy posts.

What I can't help wondering, is how many people who are now slamming Australia over on Returning to UK, in the same way Kong is here, sounded like many of the cheerleaders here only 2 or 3 years ago? How many who now make Australia sound like some blend between Uzbekistan and Tierra del Fuego once spoke about it like.... well, like England with better weather or some other perceived paradise?

I found the poll quite interesting. While the majority have been to Oz before, I personally still find 20% of those intending to migrate to NEVER having been to Australia a frightening number. You would truly upset your life and go to a place you have never seen in your life? It's probably the anal kraut in me that finds that an alien notion. But I do wonder if that 20% correlates in any way with the similar number of people returning "home" after 2 years.

Yes, I am raining on the parade. For myself, the love of Australia and the wish to live there is something that has grown over many years, and repeated trips. Even so, it was a painstaking process of comparing the pros and cons of everything, from wages and healthcare, to the cost of food and cars. From taxes to the cost of a haircut. And that's just the monetary comparisons. Add to that laws, society, language(! - it *is* a different language )

I sincerely hope that all here who make it will discover that Australia is truly their new home and that through the ups and downs they never regret their decision. Some I wouldn't mind meeting up with and becoming friends with! What pains me is the thought of whether some of you, two years from now, will be posting the same sort of messages of vicious hatred for Australia as Kong posts here and others do on R2UK.

In summary: don't lose contact with the ground under your feet to a point where touching back down really, really hurts. :lecture:

must agree with your comments mike i certainly hope to be one of the lucky ones who it actually works out for.
but as you have said there may things that need to be taken into account before cutting the ties here in england .
then again how many that don't do it will wonder for the rest of there lives what if i did it, what if took the chance.

all the best mike hope it works out for you and your family
keep posting as a lot of the info that people leave on here does help the transition

ATB
andy

Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

well,
1) you don't need to go to a place more than once to know you like it
2) going on holiday still isn't going to be anyhting at all like living there

I wouldn't have thought people who are going blind are any less successful than those who have been once, twice, ten times before on holiday.

It is more do to with how realistic you are about the whole thing. Suffice to say someone who has been 10 times on holiday and thinks living there will be the same will probably settle less well than someone who has never been but is going with eyes wide open and not too high expectations.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:50 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I do agree with much of your posting, and no offence taken. Im just fed up with reading his postings which never really deviate or contain anything useful.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
well,
1) you don't need to go to a place more than once to know you like it
2) going on holiday still isn't going to be anyhting at all like living there

I wouldn't have thought people who are going blind are any less successful than those who have been once, twice, ten times before on holiday.

It is more do to with how realistic you are about the whole thing. Suffice to say someone who has been 10 times on holiday and thinks living there will be the same will probably settle less well than someone who has never been but is going with eyes wide open and not too high expectations.
Agree and disagree.

Yes, I think you should go more than once. But agreed, that if every time is just basking in the rosy haze of a holiday (and the effect of long tall drinks with umbrellas in them )won't give you a much better impression.

After several holiday trips, we did one last "scouting journey". Hardly a holiday, my wife and I spent time speaking with peers and employers in our respective areas, looking at houses and checking prices, going through shops and stores to check the cost of living and so on.

Loaded with that material we went into full-bore analysis mode. That's what you get when 2 geeks marry.

Does that mean we will make it and others won't? By no means! Do I think we have a better chance than some who have never been there, or at most a one-time holiday trip, and have only done research from their former home?

Yes, I'd argue that it does. Just from a pure gut feeling - and I could be wrong. I wish there were statistics, but all I can find is some very general "rate of return" stuff - nobody seems to delve into the whys and the hows and the backgrounds of the people going back to their country of origin (*).

Mike

(*) Here's something I personally consider a measure of whether you will succeed long-term: when you stop calling the country you came from "home". Robert Hughes in his domentary "Beyond the Fatal Shore" made some fascinating observations, especially on newly arrived Brits, but even on Australians of British descent, who after years and years still call England "home".
Old Jul 5th 2004, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your points on negative posters. The only purpose they serve is to remind us to leave the rose tinted specs at home when we do finally make the move.

I would be interested however to see if there is a corelation between the number of returning migrants and those who made the journey without first visiting.

My husband Graham lived in Oz with his family as a small child (parents were £10 tourists but his dad died after a few years and his mum brought the family back to the UK) but I have never been.

Before the points increase we had planned to apply for skilled independent visa and whilst the application was in the system we were going to have an extended visit.

Now we are having to apply for SIR and as the processing time will be three to six months it now makes better sense to save our money and wait and see when we get there.

Thanks to resources like the other posters on this site and others, plus ther internet in general we can at least go with our eyes open. I think we will be successful; we are hard working, honest people who have decided that the key to settling in is to make as many friends as possible.

This may seem a little short sighted to some on this site but we do not own rose tinted specs, our feet are firmly on the ground and our eyes are wide open. We will give it our very best, if it works out then all well and good, if we try and fail then at least we tried. I don't think anyone can blame us for that.

Rant over. I suppose I feel touchy over the whole visit before you go because I know that it makes sense and if circumstances were different I would prefer to go first but that's life!

Cheers anyway,

Mrs Gravyman
Old Jul 5th 2004, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Do I think we have a better chance than some who have never been there, or at most a one-time holiday trip, and have only done research from their former home?
Yes, I'd argue that it does. Just from a pure gut feeling - and I could be wrong. I wish there were statistics, but all I can find is some very general "rate of return" stuff - nobody seems to delve into the whys and the hows and the backgrounds of the people going back to their country of origin (*).
Whilst research and prior visits may give you a head start in what you could expect from living in Oz, I don't think it guarantees that you are there for life; similarly if you turn up in Oz with no knowledge of the place but are flexible and can easily adapt to what's thrown at you, you could end up staying. What I'm trying to say is, I don't believe there is one sole method that ensures 'succesful' migration.

Re the returness, you often need to look at people's reasons for going to give an insight into why they might return....some plan their migration, some are there thru circumstance (work, relationship, etc), some are there 'just because'; not everyone goes with the intention of staying forever (I didn't) . Many return after two years, others return after 10 or 20 years...it's not possible to bracket all people together. Altho you have generalised about those who frequent the 'Moving back to the UK forum' as being anti-Oz, you will actually find (amongst the many returning from the US and Canada) a multitude of reasons for returning from Australia.

Best of luck with your move & future in OZ
HP

p.s. I went to Australia 4 times before moving there and here I am back in the UK; my sister went on a WHV - 15 years ago - and is still there.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I agree with your comments (can't speak fer the missus, in shower tha knowes) But if everybody ignored Kong he might go away?? No maybe not but then again if u really want to get bad feed back about Australia then please speak to my mother in law. She is amazing i think that the only thing that she hasn't said about it is? No i think she has covered that as well !!!
Well to hell with all the negative mother in laws and to all the Kongs. I'm not listening anymore. I have my fingers in my ears shouting LAR DE LAR DE LARDEEEEEE. We don't care its our adventure!!!! So Kong and the rest of Valerie's (the mother in law) henchmen. LAR DE LAR DE LARDEEEEEEEEEEEE we aren't listening. God i wish bill gates would invent a typed raspberry!!!!!!!
good luck to all that are trying
Regards Chris and Andrea
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

What I can't help wondering, is how many people who are now slamming Australia over on Returning to UK, in the same way Kong is here, sounded like many of the cheerleaders here only 2 or 3 years ago?
How many return? This is often asked. Based on the DIMIA stats it appears that ~35-40% return permanently. And I presume that there is also an additional % that want to return but can't afford to (eg house in Oz won't buy anything near the same in UK).

Put another way, ~5 or 6 out of 10 people will settle in Oz.

And ~4+ out of 10 will either return to UK or wish they could.

One thing we can almost all agree on, whatever our views on Oz: no matter how keen you are to go to Oz, don't sell your house straightaway.

If you can, rent for a while (1 year+) - renting in Oz is relatively cheap. It may seem like money 'down the drain', but it could turn out be a damn sight cheaper than trying to get back on the UK housing ladder. It just gives you more flexibility.

Edit: I used to think that people who emigrate to anywhere, without having visited it first, need a trip to a psychiatrist's couch. But, I'm not so sure. What Hiddenpaw says is true - a holiday is totally different from living it day to day. Different frame of mind, different needs and different expectations.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jul 5th 2004 at 8:09 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:12 pm
Go Banana's !!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeStanton

One thing we can almost all agree on, whatever our views on Oz: no matter how keen you are to go to Oz, don't sell your house straightaway.

Well we must be in the minority then - don't agree at all, but in a friendly way - don't want to start a cyber row

Jill

Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough

[i]
the only problem i see with that is its like having a return ticket in ur back pocket, how can you really make an honest go of it if at the back of your mind you have the thought that "well it doesnt matter, I got a life back in UK if I want it".

Personally IF I get the opportunity it will be one way for me, that way I am forcing myself to make a go of it.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:18 pm
kong

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Originally posted by MikeStanton

Well we must be in the minority then - don't agree at all, but in a friendly way - don't want to start a cyber row

Jill
It is crazy to sell your house in the UK. Give Oz a fair go, but have your UK house as a back up fund. For all the dreaming of Aus, a hard reality is waiting, some can take it, just don't gamble you home on you being one of them.

Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:26 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by kong
It is crazy to sell your house in the UK. Give Oz a fair go, but have your UK house as a back up fund. For all the dreaming of Aus, a hard reality is waiting, some can take it, just don't gamble you home on you being one of them.

Don't agree with that either

It's right for us, nuff said

Jill

p.s. BTW we're not daft you know

Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Gravyman
Now we are having to apply for SIR and as the processing time will be three to six months it now makes better sense to save our money and wait and see when we get there.

Thanks to resources like the other posters on this site and others, plus ther internet in general we can at least go with our eyes open. I think we will be successful; we are hard working, honest people who have decided that the key to settling in is to make as many friends as possible.
You raise a very valid point that I didn't get in to:

The amount of research that can now be done ahead of time through the Internet is amazing. As recent as 10-15 years a board like this was unheard of.

Oh, maybe a handful of geeks running a BBS with 1200bps modems. And about as many as HAM operators.

Now you can exchange information and experiences and recommendations with people from 100 countries. It does shift the whole "visit first=only way to know" equation a bit.

In response to others: not selling your house may not be an option, financially. It certainly isn't for us.

Mike
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:46 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeStanton

If you can, rent for a while (1 year+) - renting in Oz is relatively cheap. It may seem like money 'down the drain', but it could turn out be a damn sight cheaper than trying to get back on the UK housing ladder. It just gives you more flexibility.

[QUOTE]

I , oh god how do I say this , well I - damn it - I AGREE.

For once I agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.