Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migration flights-any advice?

Migration flights-any advice?

Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:39 pm
Can't happen quick enough

David and Lynsey will become famous soon enoughDavid and Lynsey will become famous soon enough
Question Migration flights-any advice?

We've been looking on expedia for one way flights and are wondering at which point we tell them it's a migration flight( ask for extra baggage allowance). Does anyone have any tips?
D&L
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

.x.Sophsta.Smithsta.x. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migration flights-any advice?

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey
We've been looking on expedia for one way flights and are wondering at which point we tell them it's a migration flight( ask for extra baggage allowance). Does anyone have any tips?
D&L
Tell them when you make the booking, not that it matters either way but you should confirm what the extra baggage allowance is for your own peace of mind. I know singapore airlines is pretty generous, we moved over UNDER our allowance!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Which Airline are you going to use?

We used singapore air, I just e-mailled them and they sent me a reply telling me that anyone travelling to Australia using an unused PR visa was allowed 40kg. I printed that off and took it to the airport with me, good to have just in case, but I never needed it anyway.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:19 pm
Springbok

Springbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to all

Hi There......

We too tried to book a flight for February with Expedia, no good as they can't or weren't bothered helping me when I told them I was looking for the 40kg allowance. Told me to phone the airline direct to get the weight allowance. Tried opodo and got the same story. Phoned emirates direct, they gave us the e-tickets 20 minutes after booking and paying with the allowances added. Price was similar to the online travel companies. All we had to do was fax a copy of our visa's in our passports through to them and Bob's you Uncle. Hope this helps...........

Ewan
Old Dec 9th 2006, 1:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Springbok
Hi There......

We too tried to book a flight for February with Expedia, no good as they can't or weren't bothered helping me when I told them I was looking for the 40kg allowance. Told me to phone the airline direct to get the weight allowance. Tried opodo and got the same story. Phoned emirates direct, they gave us the e-tickets 20 minutes after booking and paying with the allowances added. Price was similar to the online travel companies. All we had to do was fax a copy of our visa's in our passports through to them and Bob's you Uncle. Hope this helps...........

Ewan
Not many airlines do the allowance now, it really only seems to be emirates or Singapore.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 1:38 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not many airlines do the allowance now, it really only seems to be emirates or Singapore.

Yes with Qantas you have to pay a "migrant fare"
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

D&L
Talk with IOM (International organization for migration). They offer cheaper one-way tickets for migrants. We did so, and saved quite a few bucks.

/Jorgen
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

D&L
Look at flying through the states with either United or Air New Zealand. Thier standard baggage allowances are 64 kg per person, which is still 24 kg larger than the 'special migrant allowances' given by the asian carriers.

I came that way, and managed to bring loads of extra stuff with me. The flights may be a little bit more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

S
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

D&L

Hi, we have been given a letter through the Commonwealth Bank saying that Quantas do migrating flights from £394 per person with double the baggage allowance 40 kilos. I rang them (0208 600 4342) up for four flights from Manchester to Brisbane for March next year and was quoted £396 per person and if we wanted to stop over at Singapore we could all we had to pay was the airport charges. Havent booked any flights yet so any information or advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 1:27 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jskogsta
Talk with IOM (International organization for migration). They offer cheaper one-way tickets for migrants. We did so, and saved quite a few bucks.

/Jorgen
Couldn't find anything on the site about cheap flights.

Il keep looking
Old Dec 9th 2006, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopia
Couldn't find anything on the site about cheap flights.

Il keep looking
I would suggest emailing them and explain you are migrants and would like to know what can they offer. Give approximate dates you would liketo go eg towards the end of February

We did, got flights on the exact day we wanted, excellent price under £400 one way per person as well as 40kilo luggage allowance

[email protected]

you have no commitment to them until you pay so worth asking

Lisa.xx