British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Migration flights-any advice? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/migration-flights-any-advice-412563/)

David and Lynsey Dec 8th 2006 7:39 pm

Migration flights-any advice?

We've been looking on expedia for one way flights and are wondering at which point we tell them it's a migration flight( ask for extra baggage allowance). Does anyone have any tips?
D&L
:D

.x.Sophsta.Smithsta.x. Dec 8th 2006 8:56 pm

Re: Migration flights-any advice?

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey
We've been looking on expedia for one way flights and are wondering at which point we tell them it's a migration flight( ask for extra baggage allowance). Does anyone have any tips?
D&L

Tell them when you make the booking, not that it matters either way but you should confirm what the extra baggage allowance is for your own peace of mind. I know singapore airlines is pretty generous, we moved over UNDER our allowance!

Wendy Dec 8th 2006 9:06 pm

Which Airline are you going to use?

We used singapore air, I just e-mailled them and they sent me a reply telling me that anyone travelling to Australia using an unused PR visa was allowed 40kg. I printed that off and took it to the airport with me, good to have just in case, but I never needed it anyway.

Springbok Dec 8th 2006 9:19 pm

Hi There......

We too tried to book a flight for February with Expedia, no good as they can't or weren't bothered helping me when I told them I was looking for the 40kg allowance. Told me to phone the airline direct to get the weight allowance. Tried opodo and got the same story. Phoned emirates direct, they gave us the e-tickets 20 minutes after booking and paying with the allowances added. Price was similar to the online travel companies. All we had to do was fax a copy of our visa's in our passports through to them and Bob's you Uncle. Hope this helps...........

Ewan

Pollyana Dec 9th 2006 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Springbok
Hi There......

We too tried to book a flight for February with Expedia, no good as they can't or weren't bothered helping me when I told them I was looking for the 40kg allowance. Told me to phone the airline direct to get the weight allowance. Tried opodo and got the same story. Phoned emirates direct, they gave us the e-tickets 20 minutes after booking and paying with the allowances added. Price was similar to the online travel companies. All we had to do was fax a copy of our visa's in our passports through to them and Bob's you Uncle. Hope this helps...........

Ewan

Not many airlines do the allowance now, it really only seems to be emirates or Singapore.

sme Dec 9th 2006 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not many airlines do the allowance now, it really only seems to be emirates or Singapore.

Yes with Qantas you have to pay a "migrant fare":rolleyes:

jskogsta Dec 9th 2006 9:50 am

D&L

Talk with IOM (International organization for migration). They offer cheaper one-way tickets for migrants. We did so, and saved quite a few bucks.

/Jorgen

Swerv-o Dec 9th 2006 10:16 am

D&L

Look at flying through the states with either United or Air New Zealand. Thier standard baggage allowances are 64 kg per person, which is still 24 kg larger than the 'special migrant allowances' given by the asian carriers.

I came that way, and managed to bring loads of extra stuff with me. The flights may be a little bit more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

S

paulhill Dec 9th 2006 10:52 am

D&L

Hi, we have been given a letter through the Commonwealth Bank saying that Quantas do migrating flights from £394 per person with double the baggage allowance 40 kilos. I rang them (0208 600 4342) up for four flights from Manchester to Brisbane for March next year and was quoted £396 per person and if we wanted to stop over at Singapore we could all we had to pay was the airport charges. Havent booked any flights yet so any information or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

utopia Dec 9th 2006 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by jskogsta
Talk with IOM (International organization for migration). They offer cheaper one-way tickets for migrants. We did so, and saved quite a few bucks.

/Jorgen

Couldn't find anything on the site about cheap flights. :confused:

Il keep looking :)

oliverandlisa Dec 9th 2006 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by utopia
Couldn't find anything on the site about cheap flights. :confused:

Il keep looking :)

I would suggest emailing them and explain you are migrants and would like to know what can they offer. Give approximate dates you would liketo go eg towards the end of February

We did, got flights on the exact day we wanted, excellent price under £400 one way per person as well as 40kilo luggage allowance

[email protected]

you have no commitment to them until you pay so worth asking

Lisa.xx