Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

migration first NZ-->Oz

migration first NZ-->Oz

Old May 31st 2003, 7:43 am
Just Joined

fysio2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question migration first NZ-->Oz

My husband and I would like to migrate to Perth, have good qualifications: I am a physiotherapist and husband CIO (chief information officer) for large multi but we are too old - 47. I have been reading everything on the web but can't find any loopholes. The only way is to find a sponsor with job offer and still we will have difficulties. New Zealand seems to be much easier and cheaper. Has anyone gone the route of migrating first to NZ and once permant resident then migrating to Australia?
HELP PLEASE. Thanks

p.s. sorry, I read forum message after writing this

Last edited by fysio2; May 31st 2003 at 7:47 am.
Old May 31st 2003, 6:30 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: migration first NZ-->Oz

Originally posted by fysio2
My husband and I would like to migrate to Perth, have good qualifications: I am a physiotherapist and husband CIO (chief information officer) for large multi but we are too old - 47. I have been reading everything on the web but can't find any loopholes. The only way is to find a sponsor with job offer and still we will have difficulties. New Zealand seems to be much easier and cheaper. Has anyone gone the route of migrating first to NZ and once permant resident then migrating to Australia?
HELP PLEASE. Thanks

p.s. sorry, I read forum message after writing this
Nothing wrong with getting NZ PR, live in NZ 3 years, get NZ passports and citizenship, can subsequently work in Aus with no hassle. But rules can change.

Cheers - Don
Old May 31st 2003, 6:58 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

have heard from family in Oz that they are trying to "stop back door entry" make of that what you will! But apparently the ozzies arn't happy about this type of thing.......................
Old May 31st 2003, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by h garrett
have heard from family in Oz that they are trying to "stop back door entry" make of that what you will! But apparently the ozzies arn't happy about this type of thing.......................
hmmm......must be that game of footy Badgers was on about!
Old May 31st 2003, 7:09 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gra.B
hmmm......must be that game of footy Badgers was on about!
Yeah it sounds ominously close to what Gareth explained to me about Rugby League too!

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: migration first NZ-->Oz

Originally posted by fysio2
Has anyone gone the route of migrating first to NZ and once permant resident then migrating to Australia?
HELP PLEASE. Thanks
Yes I've gone that route, got NZ citizenship and then moved across to Oz.

I don't know all the details, but they tightened it up about 2 years ago, so NZ Pasport holders aren't entitle to certain benefits anymore. Problem was the unemployed in NZ were comming across here to live on the much better Aussie welfare payments with no intension of looking for a job.

If you go this way, don't expect the Australian gov to give you any handouts, but if you are self funded you'll have no problems.