Migration Fact

Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:15 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sandy.l
I wouldn't make a decision such as this based on statistics.
sandy
All relevant but maybe devtrend needs a straw to cling to to reinforce an opinion and maybe he(?) will come up with something novel and useful.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

devtrend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sandy.l
I wouldn't make a decision such as this based on statistics.

I consider that I am an individual who knows in my heart and mind that this move will be right for me and my family, I'm lucky in that my husband agrees and our kids are keen. Two very close family units have already migrated, both successfully, to different parts of Australia. An Uncle & Aunt of mine went 20 years ago but couldn't settle and came back after 6 months. I don't think they gave it long enough, but then, that was their choice.

Know in your heart and your head that you can do this and you will succeed.

If you have to make what will be the most important decision for your family in your life, based on statistics, then perhaps it's not the right move for you. If you don't give it a go, you may regret it, but if you go and don't settle, at least you've done something a bit different with your life and not just followed the crowd.

sandy
Hi Sandy follow your heart, power to your elbow, however if in a years time you don't like it be prepared to be chastised on this site for not researching first.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by devtrend
Hi Sandy follow your heart, power to your elbow, however if in a years time you don't like it be prepared to be chastised on this site for not researching first.
Don't worry, plenty of research being done here, and plenty of personal help from the other side!

If our move fails, it certainly won't be down to lack of preparation.

sandy
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:53 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migration Fact

Hi Everyone

I would be most grateful if someone could let me know how many people as a percentage return to the uk within 2 years.
We have been looking at the A.B.S website and although you can find information on what most peole have for breakfast etc no info on this. I think this would be a very shocking statistic and one which they would like to keep hidden. I also think that there is more to having to wait 2 years for any Social Security is it because most people have returned by then to make way for the nesxt bunch of suckers.

For those of you that have just started the Application process have you noticed the drip drip of taking your'e hard earned cash yet, paying to download forms etc it gets far worse with every step and continues when you arrive here.
Hello Devtrend,

I guess they could work out the figures but as they want to encourage migration it is probably not useful for them to do so. I guess the only question is will you be one of the people that returns within two years. Because for you, your family are the only people that it is an important question for.

I agree that you cannot really understand the reality of living in Perth until you are actually living here, and have time to contemplate your future and that of your family. It works out for some and not others. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Perth is not what we are looking for, I had never been before but Chris had been here 3 times. I am happy for those who are happy here. I empathise with those who have continual qualms about if it will 'work out' for them and how their opportunities/options dwindle with their savings.

Before you migrate its hard to imagine that it won't work out because so much effort and investment has gone into it. That is why I always recommend that people consider having a safety net. I know not everyone has the luxury of that but I do think some caution should be exercised. Something about eggs and baskets comes to mind.

I hope you are feeling less disgruntled soon.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:54 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dugongs
If you make it past 5 years then there is a good chance of forgetting the past life and being consumed by the new one. Most people find work eventually in their chosen area although sometimes at a lower level. Certainly nobody in Oz is going to help you and you are expected to look after yourself. Oz is a hard country and attitudes are far tougher than UK.

I think the biggest reason for not staying is missing home, family and friends and not wanting to spend the rest of your life in a foreign country having been there and done it.

A lot of the Oz positiveness on this forum is from people looking to make the move and so understandably they are wishing for the best. The sad fact seems to me that if you did'nt make a success of your life in the Uk it is unlikely to change in Oz given all the new disadvantages you have just given yourself. If you were reasonably happy in UK then you can expect the same in Oz maybe a little bit more maybe a little bit less.
Yep, that sounds about right, in my opinion.

I also don't see what de statistics are gonna mean to you devtrend??? Are you waiting for them to make you decision re moving back?

And as said above, it's probably not the lack of preparation why many people fail, it's missing family/friends/familiarity. And you really can't understand that till you're there.
So that's why we're saying: we'll give it a go, have fun for a few years, maybe it'll be fine and we'll stay 'forever' but I think there's a big chance we'll be coming back, because of missing family (parents, who will become grandparents in a couple of years)
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

devtrend is an unknown quantity at this point

Moving to Oz has cost us an absolute fortune and it will take us a few years to recover financially from this. OK, I'm being a stickler about this one fact but if you knew that maybe half of you (for example) on this website would be returning home within two years, I reckon that a lot more caution would be exercised.
Don't think of Oz as being a Panacea, somethings are better, some are worse.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:41 pm
owieb

Moving to Oz has cost us an absolute fortune and it will take us a few years to recover financially from this. OK, I'm being a stickler about this one fact but if you knew that maybe half of you (for example) on this website would be returning home within two years, I reckon that a lot more caution would be exercised.
I don't think anymore caution would be exercised. People want to come and try it for themselves and it doesn't matter what any stats say they'll still keep coming just to make sure.

What were your reasons for coming here?

Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Personally, I wouldn't care less how many people returned within two years. Mildly interesting fact, yes, but it would not influence my decision to go or whether to return to the UK.

You have to make it work for you. I don't see what it matters what everybody else does.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 6:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Dev
I understand your concerns.
IMO people on this site do not want their own anxieties fuelled by anything that contradicts their own dreams about how things could/should be.
My son who is a very high earner by Australian standards and does not have the usual concerns about getting by still has occasional difficulties and he has been there several years.
He often has to travel back to europe as part of his work so he is well aware of the realities.

Despite what people say the other Grass is not always greener.

I am moving out there to retire and am able to live OK without working although,ironically, I am still a registered nurse and have already been offered plenty of work. Most of any earnings will go to the Taxman though
I have no illusions about it and accept that We may want to return.
We all need to find out for ourselves.
Best wishes
G
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:10 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so you believe you made a mistake !! We have all made them, afterall noone is perfect but do you really need to reinforce your feelings by insisting on finding out how many others feel the same ?
Seriously, what can/will you do with such information ? Do you think having the stats will enable you some influential position where you can get the masses in the uk to stay in the uk and not migrate ? I think maybe you cannot accept that you failed in your dream of a better life and simply seek a self esteem booster in knowing that you arent alone in your failures.
Get over it mate, either move on, get a job and accept it or just bugger off back to blighty, so you can whinge to over 60 million sets of deaf ears instead of 20 million sets.
I told you earlier that you have 3 highly coveted things yet you choose to whinge instead of making use of what you have.
an oz visa, actually in oz and being legally allowed to work. If you cant make use of those three things, theres no country in the world that is going to make you happy.
Id be interested to know where in the uk you are from and how many jobs you have quit through dissatisisfaction.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Understanding Devtrends predicament is a matter of realising his circumstances. It appears to be to do with being an electrician.

This is a problem specific to electricians(and certain other trades), not a state of mind. The Australian authorities are obviously not communicating with each other over the immigration of highly skilled electricians.
TRA must be held the most responsible. It is they that assess skills twice and command a fat fee for the privilege.

The assessment for the purposes of migration is fairly substantial requiring that in the case of electricians, they have worked for a minimum of 7 years in their trade.
Then after successfully obtaining a visa, they enter Australia and find themselves unemployable until after they have undergone a series of practical tests, exams and provision of trade certificates. Also they appear to be poor at communicating with the victims of their system. The tests cost extra money but its a drop in the ocean compared to lost earnings through unemployment. All this can take months leading to poverty.

It is in the best interests of Australia's economy to make their population employable, but here they are failing.

Its the responsibility of those suffering these failings to whinge whinge whinge. Brits are criticised for complaining by Australians but thats the only way to change things. If anything Brits dont do it enough either, just look at our queuing culture. The French and Americans are much better than us.

After I've got my Electrical licence I am going to kick up stink, write a few letters to appropriate people explaining their shortcomings. May make no difference but then neither will indifference.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:06 pm
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by migrantoz
Understanding Devtrends predicament is a matter of realising his circumstances. It appears to be to do with being an electrician.

This is a problem specific to electricians(and certain other trades), not a state of mind. The Australian authorities are obviously not communicating with each other over the immigration of highly skilled electricians.
TRA must be held the most responsible. It is they that assess skills twice and command a fat fee for the privilege.

The assessment for the purposes of migration is fairly substantial requiring that in the case of electricians, they have worked for a minimum of 7 years in their trade.
Then after successfully obtaining a visa, they enter Australia and find themselves unemployable until after they have undergone a series of practical tests, exams and provision of trade certificates. Also they appear to be poor at communicating with the victims of their system. The tests cost extra money but its a drop in the ocean compared to lost earnings through unemployment. All this can take months leading to poverty.

It is in the best interests of Australia's economy to make their population employable, but here they are failing.

Its the responsibility of those suffering these failings to whinge whinge whinge. Brits are criticised for complaining by Australians but thats the only way to change things. If anything Brits dont do it enough either, just look at our queuing culture. The French and Americans are much better than us.

After I've got my Electrical licence I am going to kick up stink, write a few letters to appropriate people explaining their shortcomings. May make no difference but then neither will indifference.
In one sense I agree with you however, you must know that in the uk anyone without formal training can call themselves electricians, to me thats a scary thought.
sparky's in oz are fully regulated.
You cant even do your own basic electrical jobs yourself in your own home unless you are an electrician, surely in the long run this is a good thing for electricians ?
If one cant do simple electrical jobs at home it means a ton more work for the qualified unlike the uk.
My point isnt with the frustration borne from government requirements etc, it is that as a new migrant you should be prudent enough to know what is required for you to work in your trade and you should be willing to take on any form of work while you get your trade certificates here in australia and not just sit there complaining that you dont have xmas gifts for the kids.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:10 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by migrantoz

Fair enough. Now what about this? In devtrend's own words...

6 months in OZ unbelievable how shallow the ozzies are.
Plus all the true blue ozzie women totally ming.
If you see or meet any normal person in Oz its because they came from another country in the last 100 years not the good old crim stock, eyes too close together, very jumpy and very slow.
I recently went to Rockingham for a look around and saw loads of kids carrying balloons when I took a closer look they were actually the Kids Heads (Size of Beer Kegs) sorry but something is very wrong here.

Then complains when there is a lack of helpful advice. Here's some...piss off.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:50 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Florida_03
Fair enough. Now what about this? In devtrend's own words...

6 months in OZ unbelievable how shallow the ozzies are.
Plus all the true blue ozzie women totally ming.
If you see or meet any normal person in Oz its because they came from another country in the last 100 years not the good old crim stock, eyes too close together, very jumpy and very slow.
I recently went to Rockingham for a look around and saw loads of kids carrying balloons when I took a closer look they were actually the Kids Heads (Size of Beer Kegs) sorry but something is very wrong here.

Then complains when there is a lack of helpful advice. Here's some...piss off.
Yes Florida, and devtrend would have you believe that the oz government is at fault, not taking into account his own pathetic attitude.
He doesnt want advise, he only wants to degrade australia as a result of his failings.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 9:15 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
Yes, I am in Australia "mate"
Very sorry to hear you dont like it here, go back home to where the grass is greener, you obviously arent the type to settle in another country plus australia will have one less whinging pommie

Have a nice flight home
Really like that reply, totally agree

Jill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.