Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migration Amendment Regulations Issued - Details of New SIR Visa Confirmed

Migration Amendment Regulations Issued - Details of New SIR Visa Confirmed

Old Jun 18th 2004, 2:18 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Migration Amendment Regulations Issued - Details of New SIR Visa Confirmed

The legislative amendments to the Migration Regulations, including details pertaining to the Skilled Independent Regional visa have now been published.

My summary is here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=307

The Federal Government will now most probably say it has provided a mechanism for the States and Territories to encourage people to move to the regions and low growth areas ... and so now we have to wait for the State and Territory Governments to introduce procedures whereby intending SIR visa applicants can apply for sponsorship.

I'm sure this will be of interest to some ...

Best regards.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Misty33 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Migration Amendment Regulations Issued - Details of New SIR Visa Confirmed

Hi
This is really useful, thanks. The bit that confuses me is how do you get a signature for the State/Territory sponsored form 1244? How do you know who to send it to - the form I looked at asked for a signature - but gave no guidance as to how to get it?! But the application requires the signature before it is sent off.
Many thanks and best wishes

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
The legislative amendments to the Migration Regulations, including details pertaining to the Skilled Independent Regional visa have now been published.

My summary is here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=307

The Federal Government will now most probably say it has provided a mechanism for the States and Territories to encourage people to move to the regions and low growth areas ... and so now we have to wait for the State and Territory Governments to introduce procedures whereby intending SIR visa applicants can apply for sponsorship.

I'm sure this will be of interest to some ...

Best regards.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migration Amendment Regulations Issued - Details of New SIR Visa Confirmed

Originally Posted by Misty33
Hi
This is really useful, thanks. The bit that confuses me is how do you get a signature for the State/Territory sponsored form 1244? How do you know who to send it to - the form I looked at asked for a signature - but gave no guidance as to how to get it?! But the application requires the signature before it is sent off.

Hi Misty

When you apply to the State for SIR sponsorship they will send you or email you a sponsorship form.
You send that and the 1244 form to the state government and they sign and return the 1244 form back to you or your agent.

Graham
Old Oct 10th 2004, 10:28 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

You apply to the State or Territory Government in which you want to live ... who will stamp the form 1244 if they agree to the SIR visa sponsorship.

If you can confirm where you want to live in Australia I should be able to point you in the right direction. Note that (so far as I am aware) WA has yet to decide on what regional authorities will be involved in the SIR visa process. Other States such as VIC and QLD limit SIR visa sponsorship based on identified skilled occupation shortages in regional areas of their States.

Generally acknowledged to be easiest for SIR visa sponsorship are the States of SA and TAS (although SA has recently limited sponsorship for those with IT occupations to applicants who have a job offer - in which case a RSMS permanent residency visa might be a better option anyway).

Have you also had a look through some of the recent news stories at Go Matilda News where I have discussed SIR visas and pathways to permanent residency:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/index.cfm

Best regards.

Hi
Old Oct 10th 2004, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

bettytweena is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been led to believe by our agent that, as we have already received sponsorship for an SIR from SA, if we live in Adelaide for 2 years, and either my hubby or myself works full time in an occupation on the SOL for at least 1 year, there is no reason why the SA government will not grant us PR.....is this correct?
Old Oct 10th 2004, 11:18 am
Migration Agent

That sounds reasonable to me ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by bettytweena
We have been led to believe by our agent that, as we have already received sponsorship for an SIR from SA, if we live in Adelaide for 2 years, and either my hubby or myself works full time in an occupation on the SOL for at least 1 year, there is no reason why the SA government will not grant us PR.....is this correct?
Old Oct 10th 2004, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Alan,
Under SIR subclass 495 - in the eyes of Australian employers, are you at a disadvantage applying for jobs, compared to other candidates, when you only have a temporary visa? Are there restrictions in general when trying to gain employment for people residing in Australia with temporary visas? I am a Management Consultant (but my assessed Skilled Occupation is Education Officer) and my husband is an Insurance, Healthcare and Mortgage Broker (having said that we would both turn our hands to any job that would pay the bills but would like to establish careers, we both have degrees). We would like to apply under this visa but have recently been wondering whether it would be difficult to obtain employment not being permanent residents and unfortunately neither of us are listed on the Adelaide shortage list (which is where we would be heading) and no other permanent residency options are open to us.
Many thanks for your help again.

Best regards.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Alan
One other thing, in this thread it is mentioned that if you are granted an SIR visa (sub class 495) you have to work in a job on the SOL for a year in order to be able to apply and be considered for permanent residency - I thought that as long as you worked and lived in the area for the required length of time (we are looking at South Australia) it does not matter what job you do i.e. it does not have to be on the SOL? Has this changed?
Best Wishes

Best regards.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:02 am
Migration Agent

I don't think that's what the posting in question says ... it asks whether the enquirer will meet the work experience requirement that is the pathway to permanent residency if either spouse works in an occupation that is on the SOL for 12 months. This isn't the same thing as saying that one MUST work in an occupation on the SOL ...

Best regards.

Alan
One other thing, in this thread it is mentioned that if you are granted an SIR visa (sub class 495) you have to work in a job on the SOL for a year in order to be able to apply and be considered for permanent residency - I thought that as long as you worked and lived in the area for the required length of time (we are looking at South Australia) it does not matter what job you do i.e. it does not have to be on the SOL? Has this changed?
Best Wishes
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alan,
Under SIR subclass 495 - in the eyes of Australian employers, are you at a disadvantage applying for jobs, compared to other candidates, when you only have a temporary visa? Are there restrictions in general when trying to gain employment for people residing in Australia with temporary visas? I am a Management Consultant (but my assessed Skilled Occupation is Education Officer) and my husband is an Insurance, Healthcare and Mortgage Broker (having said that we would both turn our hands to any job that would pay the bills but would like to establish careers, we both have degrees). We would like to apply under this visa but have recently been wondering whether it would be difficult to obtain employment not being permanent residents and unfortunately neither of us are listed on the Adelaide shortage list (which is where we would be heading) and no other permanent residency options are open to us.
Many thanks for your help again.
As far as DIMIA are concerned there are no work restrictions with SIR - but other people with temporary visas that don't have work restrictions (such as temporary spouse visas) have reported that some Australian employers are reluctant to hire those who don't have PR/citizenship, for a variety of reasons.

Assuming I've the right person in mind - have you decided not to try to challenge your 138 application being deemed invalid (ie challenge the legality of the Sydney skill shortage list), and/or reapply using a 50 point occupation on the Sydney skill shortage list (which DIMIA are suggesting *might* be ok, at least for now).

SIR is an option but it's not without it's risks and problems.

Jeremy