Migrating as a plumber

Migrating as a plumber

Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road
Default Migrating as a plumber

Hello All
I'm new to this so go easy!

I am Australian and my husband is Irish and we plan to emigrate back to Melbourne (we are currently in Ireland). The only big issue we have is the fact he is a plumber. He has been self-employed for over 5 years now. He has completed all the coursework for his NVQ but never did all the paperwork, so he isn't qualified.

We are concerned he is going to struggle to 1) get registered and/ or licensed, and 2) get work.

It sounds hard even if he was qualified.

Has anyone any advice on this subject?

We will apply for a spouse visa, so we don't have to have anything done for the visa side of things. But we want to have things even a little under control before we get there. We want to know if he has any chance of getting work otherwise there's no point paying all that money for a visa.

What process should we undertake in getting him registered in Victoria as a plumber (I know he can't get licensed until he gets there - he'll probably need a skills test) before we go? And any tips for finding work?

I know plumbing will be so much different in Australia compared to here, and he will need to learn the local way of doing things. Any suggestions? Is there any info online that we could study up on?

Any idea of wages? Would he have to go back to being an apprentice?

It's very stressful - it's the only thing putting a cloud over our plans.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!!
Thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating as a plumber

Originally Posted by carolk
Hello All

I am Australian and my husband is Irish and we plan to emigrate back to Melbourne (we are currently in Ireland). The only big issue we have is the fact he is a plumber. He has been self-employed for over 5 years now. He has completed all the coursework for his NVQ but never did all the paperwork, so he isn't qualified.

We are concerned he is going to struggle to 1) get registered and/ or licensed, and 2) get work.

We will apply for a spouse visa, so we don't have to have anything done for the visa side of things. But we want to have things even a little under control before we get there. We want to know if he has any chance of getting work otherwise there's no point paying all that money for a visa.

What process should we undertake in getting him registered in Victoria as a plumber (I know he can't get licensed until he gets there - he'll probably need a skills test) before we go? And any tips for finding work?

I know plumbing will be so much different in Australia compared to here, and he will need to learn the local way of doing things. Any suggestions? Is there any info online that we could study up on?

Thanks.

Hi

I'm not sure about what plumbers need to do to work out here, but a good place to start is http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

If you can't find the info there then they are really nice so just send them an e-mail and they'll be able to tell you what you need to do.

Failing that, take a look at this one http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au...7&state_id=VIC
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:07 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Hello All

Thanks.
pm me, i dont know about victoria but im going out as a plumber and have done my tra and all associated stuff with plumbing, pm me and i can go through it with you
Dave
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

family move is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All

Thanks.
We have moved from Brisbane to Cavan, my husband is a plumber and can answer most of your questions. If you want to get in touch let us know.
By the way we are moving back to Brisbane ASAP after only 7 months in Ireland!!!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Brentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really nice

We are also considering the same ove (to Brisbane) so can I be cheeky and ask you to put your discussions up on here so I can read them as well?!! Would really appreciate any help as Queensland plumbing union were really helpful to start with but when I tried to ask more in depth questions their attitude was basically " get out here first and we will then see if you can work!" Thanks again, Best regards, Russell.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:40 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Hello All

Thanks.
As far as I know, TRA in Melbourne would need to issue him with a ARTC certificate as most of the licensing bodies would require it before granting a license (unless he had Australian Qualifications). Usually they require a minimum of 6 years experience (7 for electrical trades). The TRA assessment that most guys on here talk about is the pre-migration one, which he wouldn't need to do, as you are Australian he isn't applying under the skilled category, but the ARTC has the same requirements. He needs a visa first to make a domestic application.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:29 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

I just had a very long talk with the plumbing board in Brisbane, and even with 20 years of evidence they wont issue me a water ticket, they advise the only route without a city & guilds is to complete a aussie apprenticeship!!!
I got the Gas licence within a few hours however so only lacking the water ticket.
On investigation it seems IF you can find a company to employ you as a apprentice you could go as a 3rd yr or 4th yr and just do the drainage and water side of things,,,,,,, it wont be an easy ride though, and the TRA side of things mean nothing to the Plumbing board, I have a successful general plumbers TRA too.
good luck.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 4:35 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

As far as I know there is no legislation that says you have to be paid as a Trade Assistant (apprentice), most companies pay on ability, but the major thing comes down to whether you can work unsupervised. I was lucky as I had all the City and Guilds (I'm a fridge/ac mechanic though) and it was a pain getting the licences.
Good Luck

(You could try a private RTO visit www.peer.com.au (just as an idea)