Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Melbourne next month!!!!

Migrating to Melbourne next month!!!!

Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future
Default Migrating to Melbourne next month!!!!

Hi
The time has come to leave the freezing shores of Blighty and make the permanent move to Melbourne!
I've recently been over for my reccie absolutely loved it so will be back for good in around six weeks.

Has anyone got any info on good freight companies? I only have around 6 large boxes to send.

Also, can anyone recommend any temp accommodation for 3-4 weeks til I get settled?

Also, can anyone recommend me some good accountancy/recruitment agencies to start my job search?

Also if anyone wants to meet up and give me their advice, or just go for a coffee or a glass of wine when I arrive, please do contact me.

I am a 34 year old female accountant migrating by myself so any advice gratefully received!

Last edited by annamichelle2310; Jan 4th 2010 at 11:31 am. Reason: error
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Migrating to Melbourne next month!!!!

Hi,

Looks like we are in the same boat, another 34 y/o old accountant heading over to Melbourne in 3 weeks

Agencies would be

Hays www.hays.com.au

Boston Kennedy www.bostonkennedy.com.au

Charterhouse http://www.charterhouse.jobs/

Can't help with freight as I am backpacking it. Therefore I am staying in hostels.

I would be interested in details on long term accomadation as well.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice

Originally Posted by annamichelle2310
Hi
The time has come to leave the freezing shores of Blighty and make the permanent move to Melbourne!
I've recently been over for my reccie absolutely loved it so will be back for good in around six weeks.

Has anyone got any info on good freight companies? I only have around 6 large boxes to send.

Also, can anyone recommend any temp accommodation for 3-4 weeks til I get settled?

Also, can anyone recommend me some good accountancy/recruitment agencies to start my job search?

Also if anyone wants to meet up and give me their advice, or just go for a coffee or a glass of wine when I arrive, please do contact me.

I am a 34 year old female accountant migrating by myself so any advice gratefully received!
Hi, good luck with your move to Melbourne! We went for a little research trip before Christmas and stayed in a hostel called 'elephants backpackers'. It's just opposite Flinders Street Station and has great weekly rates for brand newly renovated on-suite rooms. Don't bother with the weird doubles with short walls (you'll find in on the internet!). The library is just behind it and has free wi-fi and the main library has many computers for job searching too. There's a coles 24hr supermarket around the corner and we felt very central. It's right on the free tram line too.

lol maybe I should get some commission! Anyone know of a good place in Sydney?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

Hi

Good luck with the move

Warmest regards
Kari & Family
(hopefully Melbourne-bound this year )
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

craig_will is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck! myself and my partner will be moving to Melbourne in 8 weeks
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 2plus3
Good luck with the move

Warmest regards
Kari & Family
(hopefully Melbourne-bound this year )
Thanks and maybe see you there later this year!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by craig_will
Good luck! myself and my partner will be moving to Melbourne in 8 weeks
Whereabouts are you headed and have you planned everything?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Good luck on the move annamich!
Where abouts you gonna lay your hat mate?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

craig_will is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

The company i'm working for has sorted a place in st kilda for the first 4-6weeks... Takes the pressure of for a little bit lol.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck you can get furnished apartments in the city and they are probably cheaper by the week.

Seek is the job web site which most people access for work.

The Age Newspaper on a Saturday has a large careers and employment section. Access it online. There may not be many at the moment though as most offices and businesses have people away on holidays until the 1st Feb and this time of the year things are quiet. Once Feb comes its back to normal.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Bobbin is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck to you all on your moves, hopefully will get to meet you all soon
Kathryn xx
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Bobbin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Hi Michelle
I found the people at Link (think they are now Randstad?) and Robert Half very helpful, this was looking at public sector accounting jobs though.
Looking forward to seeing you again, hopefully you won't need your big coat when you arrive (Moonlight cinema excepted!!)
Kathryn xx
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Hi

I moved out to Melbourne myself last October, happy with the move - its great out here. Does take a bit of adjusting though!

Re shippers - don't use Simpsons, service was terrible & my stuff arrived a week ago with alot of breakages! I used Sevenseas worldwide back in 2006 to ship some boxes to Perth - they were alot better & no breakages at all!

Accomodation - depends where you want to be really, what you want to spend. Its not cheap out here!

I got my job out here via seek so can recommend that for job hunting!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Good luck on the move annamich!
Where abouts you gonna lay your hat mate?
Hiya
I really like the St Kilda end of things! But I don't know many places yet. Plan to get some temp accommodation and go from there. Whereabouts are you?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for their kind replies!
Much appreciated as on my lonesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.