Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrants what are you expecting and why ?

Migrants what are you expecting and why ?

Old May 31st 2006, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Migrants what are you expecting and why ?

Reason I'm asking is because after almost a couple of years on this BBS. It seems that people understandably of course are chasing a dream. We all need those to chase. Most people migrating seem to want to live on the outskirts of a city and quite large land, with as new a house as possible, and if they can throw the beach in for good measure, then "Sorted".

What then, do you think Australians want ? Do you expect that they would want the same and if not why not, after 26 years in this country I'm going to attempt to explain why and what I think and assume Aussies, en masse for the most part prefer.

It comes down basically to 3 lifestyle choices, there are of course many others but the following are the 3 main stream choices.

Inner Urban....

Suburban.....

Rural.

Inner urban and Suburban probably have equal measures in population. I've got a feeling that Inner Urban Aussie cities are very different to Inner urban centres in the UK. Here in Aussie most Inner Urban areas are for the most part the most affluent parts of their given cities. With more choice and infrastucture and far more greenery than their UK counterparts. Job vacancies are at their highest in these areas, Crime rates are generally lower than Suburban areas. Housing is at it's most expensive, because that is where most people in Aussie want to be, close to most Aussie Cities CBD's

Suburban areas normally start 8k's out from most CBD's here, there is generally less infrastructure, but much larger blocks. One has to be far more careful on choosing a particular surburban location as they can contain large ethnic communities that may well not suit ones particular lifestyle. Because there is less infrastructure, generally you would need 2 cars, so the price saving on a house may not be reflected in day to day spending in getting around etc. Generally there is "more yes more" gang activity in these areas as kids basically have less ability to travel from their local area. Plus if it is a newer area you could have a large group of similar aged youngesters all growing up together that will naturally want to congregate. A lot of Suburban areas would also have a high ratio of car hoons, as one has to have a car to surive in these areas.

Rural Areas, Generally the poorest parts of Aussie, Big Acerage, not such nice houses as the Suburban ones. One would be forgiven on going by UK standards that you would be coming to paradise in choosing a rural locale. However rural would usually have much less infrastucture, far higher prices for food and groceries and petrol etc, so the cost of every day living is far more expensive than city life. Drug use amongst youngsters and teenage pregnancy is reputed to be at it's highest in rural settings, with outdoor acitivties becoming quickly very boring for most youngsters at a very early age, and with little else to do, what would one expect.

I think I'm right in saying that the above is the Majority Aussie view, which I'm assuming and expecting is almost the exact opposite of most UK Migrants views.

I'm expecting flack for this post, however I beleive I'm correct in the above, and 26 years here has firmed the above ideas.
Old May 31st 2006, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrants what are you expecting and why ?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Reason I'm asking is because after almost a couple of years on this BBS. It seems that people understandably of course are chasing a dream. We all need those to chase. Most people migrating seem to want to live on the outskirts of a city and quite large land, with as new a house as possible, and if they can throw the beach in for good measure, then "Sorted".

What then, do you think Australians want ? Do you expect that they would want the same and if not why not, after 26 years in this country I'm going to attempt to explain why and what I think and assume Aussies, en masse for the most part prefer.

It comes down basically to 3 lifestyle choices, there are of course many others but the following are the 3 main stream choices.

Inner Urban....

Suburban.....

Rural.

Inner urban and Suburban probably have equal measures in population. I've got a feeling that Inner Urban Aussie cities are very different to Inner urban centres in the UK. Here in Aussie most Inner Urban areas are for the most part the most affluent parts of their given cities. With more choice and infrastucture and far more greenery than their UK counterparts. Job vacancies are at their highest in these areas, Crime rates are generally lower than Suburban areas. Housing is at it's most expensive, because that is where most people in Aussie want to be, close to most Aussie Cities CBD's

Suburban areas normally start 8k's out from most CBD's here, there is generally less infrastructure, but much larger blocks. One has to be far more careful on choosing a particular surburban location as they can contain large ethnic communities that may well not suit ones particular lifestyle. Because there is less infrastructure, generally you would need 2 cars, so the price saving on a house may not be reflected in day to day spending in getting around etc. Generally there is "more yes more" gang activity in these areas as kids basically have less ability to travel from their local area. Plus if it is a newer area you could have a large group of similar aged youngesters all growing up together that will naturally want to congregate. A lot of Suburban areas would also have a high ratio of car hoons, as one has to have a car to surive in these areas.

Rural Areas, Generally the poorest parts of Aussie, Big Acerage, not such nice houses as the Suburban ones. One would be forgiven on going by UK standards that you would be coming to paradise in choosing a rural locale. However rural would usually have much less infrastucture, far higher prices for food and groceries and petrol etc, so the cost of every day living is far more expensive than city life. Drug use amongst youngsters and teenage pregnancy is reputed to be at it's highest in rural settings, with outdoor acitivties becoming quickly very boring for most youngsters at a very early age, and with little else to do, what would one expect.

I think I'm right in saying that the above is the Majority Aussie view, which I'm assuming and expecting is almost the exact opposite of most UK Migrants views.

I'm expecting flack for this post, however I beleive I'm correct in the above, and 26 years here has firmed the above ideas.

After lots of discussions with my aunt, who has lived in Australia since 1974, I think you are about right with that view. She has said much the same although in different words.
Old May 31st 2006, 11:48 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the OP. Loads of people at work live in East Perth. My initial reaction was why do you want to live inner city? Okay, so one of two youngsters want to be near the action but middle aged couples do it too. It is interesting to note that poms, south africans etc have a different mindset and aim for the burbs on the whole.

When I read the title, though, I thought it was going to be about expectations generally. I was going to say come with an open mind and expect nothing so I'll say it anyway
Old May 31st 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree.

Inner urban areas are by far the most expensive and more 'desirable' than the faceless suburbs. Houses might be a quarter of the size but are worth 4 times as much. Not everyone wants a huge 4x2 on a quarter acre. In Sydney, the inner urban ring of suburbs is growing all the time. There are some inner-west suburbs that I can remember being really daggy once (Annandale, Stanmore, Petersham etc) but are now seriously expensive.

And not all rural areas are poor. Any that are within weekender distance of a city are just as expensive as the city itself. In NSW, the southern highlands and south coast are not exactly metropolitan but they have big-city prices. You have to go quite a long way from the city to get 'poor' rural.

And even out in the real rural areas, there's a pecking order! People who live on properties (ie farms) are usually regarded as a cut above someone who just lives in a country town.
Old May 31st 2006, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Inner Urban....

Suburban.....

Rural.

Like the rest of the herd, I'm expecting Sun, Sea, Sand, No work..low cost of living, no crime...and a smile on my face every day.

Where the blaady hell ar ya????
Old May 31st 2006, 12:38 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Migrants what are you expecting and why ?

Inner Urban....

Suburban.....

Rural.

Good post.

I'd add another category: outer suburban/semi-rural. For examples, look no further than the Adelaide hills: cute little towns like Stirling, Aldgate and Bridgewater, and gorgeous hillside areas like Crafers and Belair.

IMHO they offer an excellent balance of suburban-style services and a quiet lifestyle. The local town has all you need in the way of supermarkets, post office, banks, schools etc.; Adelaide is close enough for commuting but not so close that you're living on the edge of a suburban jungle; the crime rate is generally lower, the neighbourhood is family-friendly, and the evenings are peaceful.
Old May 31st 2006, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Really good thread Ozzie. Makes sense and it's good that people can see the variations of what's available out here in terms of lifestyle.

There's something for everyone
Old May 31st 2006, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Good post.

I'd add another category: outer suburban/semi-rural. For examples, look no further than the Adelaide hills: cute little towns like Stirling, Aldgate and Bridgewater, and gorgeous hillside areas like Crafers and Belair.

IMHO they offer an excellent balance of suburban-style services and a quiet lifestyle. The local town has all you need in the way of supermarkets, post office, banks, schools etc.; Adelaide is close enough for commuting but not so close that you're living on the edge of a suburban jungle; the crime rate is generally lower, the neighbourhood is family-friendly, and the evenings are peaceful.

Ahhh yes I think Hahndorf would be one of those sorts of places.... it would be lovely but unrealistic to live there permanently though I would think ? Jobs travel etc

(right I'm orf for 3 days. well until i can get up and about myself, a small surgical procedure tomorrow... and then 3 weeks off, nicely planned to convalesce in front of the TV whilst the world cup is on hehe .... no booze for a week )
Old May 31st 2006, 1:41 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Inner Urban....

Suburban.....

Rural.

Not all rural areas are poor, theres plenty of rural areas along the coast where house prices are as expensive or almost as expensive as the cities.
There are plenty of rural areas that are booming with low unemployment and crime, with the recent mining boom and higher prices for agricultural products.
Old May 31st 2006, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Not all rural areas are poor, theres plenty of rural areas along the coast where house prices are as expensive or almost as expensive as the cities.
There are plenty of rural areas that are booming with low unemployment and crime, with the recent mining boom and higher prices for agricultural products.

That could well be true 2,000+ miles from here, however generally, it's not the Case in Vic. There is probably a greater contrast in Melbourne, v the Rural areas of Victoria, than Perth and it's Rural centres. The resource boom will have to end eventually ?

I've yet to find a born and bred Aussie, that wont entertain the idea, that drug and other youth related problems are more prevalent in rural locales than city ones.
Old May 31st 2006, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Like the rest of the herd, I'm expecting Sun, Sea, Sand, No work..low cost of living, no crime...and a smile on my face every day.

Where the blaady hell ar ya????

Where you off to then lol can't be Aus!
Old May 31st 2006, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I've yet to find a born and bred Aussie, that wont entertain the idea, that drug and other youth related problems are more prevalent in rural locales than city ones.
Agree.

Beach-ish, rural-ish area only 70 mins drive from Melb had a real problem with young pot smokers....absolutely nothing else to do but - seriously!!! - sex drugs, alcohol and house/beach parties
Old May 31st 2006, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see a discussion on here through aussie eyes, well yours must be after 26 years

Would agree with most of it, especially now, the demand to live inner city or anywhere near facilities is getting heavier as petrol prices soar.

However dont think all drug use is in the subrubs, Melbournes inner city plus areas like St kilda which should be known as needle beach, is pretty down in the gutter in that respect, some pretty shocking sights in the wee hours in inner city, can vouch for that. That goes without saying in Sydney, probably other cities too.

Yes surburban life for teenagers is boring in most places the use of pot and writing off cars and often themselves, used as entertainment is high. Often tho expats are younger they see the value of the early years the parks/playspaces, dont know if they really think when buying in burbs what will kids do there later (hoon probably).

Acerage, yes some very feral areas, distinctly different from the upmarket acerage close to facilities, the stuff round here like that sells 1m+ and it does sell often in days

Weve found a balance by living seconds to the beach and facilities, after having tried most of the above options, weve rented for 15 months in that type of area, now found land to build on but thats $400,000 with no house. Not exactly cheap.
Old May 31st 2006, 9:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know why you were expecting flack mate - not much to argue with really. You've just out-lined the nature of city life as taught to me nearly 20 years ago at the start of an ill-fated Geography degree - lol.

It all comes back to something I've brought up several times on this forum - namely - why the **** do British migrants, most of whom have spent their entire lives living in a town, move to a city in Oz? If I had to live in the 'burbs of any of Australia's large cities I simply wouldn't leave the UK. End of story.
Old May 31st 2006, 9:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Migrants what are you expecting and why ?

Ahhh yes I think Hahndorf would be one of those sorts of places.... it would be lovely but unrealistic to live there permanently though I would think ? Jobs travel etc
Unrealistic? Not at all! There are plenty of jobs in the local area (particularly in Stirling, Aldgate and Mt Barker) and the freeway makes it possible for people to live in places like Hahndorf but work in the Adelaide suburbs.

My mother used to live in Lobethal, and her husband worked as a schoolteacher in Oakden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.