British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/migrants-guide-emigrating-settling-australia-291389/)

bondipom Mar 22nd 2005 8:01 pm

Re: The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

http://www.termite.com/spiders/Funnel-Web-Spider.shtml

http://www.termite.com/images/funnelwebfemale150.gifhttp://www.termite.com/images/funnelwebmaleani.gif
BEWARE: THE WORLD'S DEADLIEST SPIDER

The male Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is the world's most deadly spider.

Both the male and female Sydney Funnel-Web Spider carry atraxotoxin, the world's most dangerous toxin to humans as produced in the animal kingdom.

The male Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is six times more toxic than the female, and it is he whom is most often encountered by humans, during their intrepid search for a female to reproduce.

The Blue Mountains Funnel-Web and Northern Tree Funnel-Web Spiders are also highly venomous.

Area of distribution

The Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is a ground dweller commonly found in areas of moist soils along much of the eastern coastal area of New South Wales, Victoria and in certain areas of South Australia.

The Blue Mountains Funnel-Web Spider is found mainly in the Blue Mountains area, as far west as Orange and Bathurst and occasionally in the Sydney basin.

The Northern Tree Funnel-Web Spider is found in south-eastern Queensland and northern New South Wales as far south as the Hunter Valley.

Danger time

The mature male funnel-web spider will wander around during hot humid nights, looking for a mate. Invariably after mating when he is totally exhausted the female bites him and sucks all the nourishment from his body leaving him an empty shell.

The male is highly aggressive when disturbed or cornered and is able to inflict multiple strikes, with its "flick-knife" hardened fangs.

You may also find funnel-web spiders wandering around the garden or in your home after heavy rain or nearby construction earthworks.

Jonahs_mummy Mar 22nd 2005 8:03 pm

I have to tell you guys... ROOKSIE...... last night me & jonah_daddy sat in front of the pc & read this thread from beginning to end...... my god we were practically rolling around on the floor laughing!!!!:D

I am one of the devout spider "haters" of the world... ok I admit it I am scared sh**less!!!!! Never less I loved this post although that bl**dy picture from DollyDayDream scared the living sh*t out of me! LOL:scared:

Fantastic!

Rooksie Mar 22nd 2005 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
I have to tell you guys... ROOKSIE...... last night me & jonah_daddy sat in front of the pc & read this thread from beginning to end...... my god we were practically rolling around on the floor laughing!!!!:D

I am one of the devout spider "haters" of the world... ok I admit it I am scared sh**less!!!!! Never less I loved this post although that bl**dy picture from DollyDayDream scared the living sh*t out of me! LOL:scared:

Fantastic!

Im not quite sure what ive started but im beginnng to think devons not so bad after all. scariest creature i encountered this morning was a snail!!! just about sums it up doesnt it really!!!! :rolleyes:

MrFlibbleUK Mar 22nd 2005 8:16 pm

Actually I am sure I read somewhere that more people are killed per year in Oz from Bee/Wasp stings than from spider/snake bites! Nice to see another lurvely creature us brits introduced to Oz...the English Wasp.

JackTheLad Mar 22nd 2005 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by MrFlibbleUK
Actually I am sure I read somewhere that more people are killed per year in Oz from Bee/Wasp stings than from spider/snake bites! Nice to see another lurvely creature us brits introduced to Oz...the English Wasp.

We have paper wasps here. The first time I was stung by one I think the shock took over, I thought I was dying. Then Mrs JTL got a few stings, then my mum got a few, then I got another and realised they are more like nettle stings than REAL british wasp stings, they feel warm for about half an hour then fade.

No big deal. Its more the shock that gets you, rather than the pain of the sting,

Cheers,
JTL

Paul2004 Mar 23rd 2005 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Im not quite sure what ive started but im beginnng to think devons not so bad after all. scariest creature i encountered this morning was a snail!!! just about sums it up doesnt it really!!!! :rolleyes:

ROFL, well I have to say, last night I had reason to go out to the garden shed. After reading all about the Huntsman and co, I HAD TO see sommit horrible in the shed didn't I!

NO! .......... not even an ant! ...lol

Oh well!

Rooksie Mar 23rd 2005 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Jim2004
ROFL, well I have to say, last night I had reason to go out to the garden shed. After reading all about the Huntsman and co, I HAD TO see sommit horrible in the shed didn't I!

NO! .......... not even an ant! ...lol

Oh well!

Actually, another scarey thing i saw on school run was dog crap all over the bloody place!!! Howerver, im sure, like me, youre a responsible dog owner and never leave the house without a sainsburys carrier bag!! :o

Paul2004 Mar 23rd 2005 1:00 am

Actually, another scarey thing i saw on school run was dog crap all over the bloody place!!! Howerver, im sure, like me, youre a responsible dog owner and never leave the house without a sainsburys carrier bag!! :o

I use the Sainsbury's nappy bags (scented :) ) and even take two with me after getting caught out once with a 2nd go! ...lol

Yeah It does embarass me sometimes when I see it all over the place, it's not hard is it to clean up behind you, and is after all OUR responsibility after all, I don't see my dog picking it up himself!!

Rooksie Mar 23rd 2005 1:02 am

I use the Sainsbury's nappy bags (scented :) ) and even take two with me after getting caught out once with a 2nd go! ...lol

Yeah It does embarass me sometimes when I see it all over the place, it's not hard is it to clean up behind you, and is after all OUR responsibility after all, I don't see my dog picking it up himself!!

id like to rub the owners nose it in - after all thats what they do to dogs and cats isnt it and it seems to work!!!! :D

Rooksie Mar 23rd 2005 1:13 am

Thoughts occurs : ive seen many posts by people who are in favour of the Huntsman because he gobbles up the other nasties around the home so they are quite happy to leave him there to carry out this service. Doesnt this mean however that he is growing in size due to large consumption of roaches and mozzies etc etc... Picture the scene .... walk into bathroom one day the find 5 foot Huntsman sat on the bog!!! :scared:

Just a thought ..... :D

possoms Mar 23rd 2005 1:16 am

Thoughts occurs : ive seen many posts by people who are in favour of the Huntsman because he gobbles up the other nasties around the home so they are quite happy to leave him there to carry out this service. Doesnt this mean however that he is growing in size due to large consumption of roaches and mozzies etc etc... Picture the scene .... walk into bathroom one day the find 5 foot Huntsman sat on the bog!!! :scared:

Just a thought ..... :D

LOL :D will he be reading the newspaper while he's at it?

Rooksie Mar 23rd 2005 1:18 am

Originally Posted by possoms
LOL :D will he be reading the newspaper while he's at it?

Yeah, Sport probably!!! ;)

DollyDaydream Mar 23rd 2005 1:20 am

....or maybe a book? .... How to scare humans shitless in 10 easy stages!!!!!

D D ;)

Rooksie Mar 23rd 2005 1:22 am

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
....or maybe a book? .... How to scare humans shitless in 10 easy stages!!!!!

D D ;)

ROFL!!

and especially if he's doing what most men do when they lock themselves in the bathroom!!!! Yeah, we know.....!!!

Paul2004 Mar 23rd 2005 1:23 am

I can picture him too ....lol

Paul2004 Mar 23rd 2005 1:26 am

ROFL!!

and especially if he's doing what most men do when they lock themselves in the bathroom!!!! Yeah, we know.....!!!

Hey Rooksie, do you have something you want to tell us ?! http://usera.imagecave.com/pauldw/headscratch.gif

Rooksie Mar 23rd 2005 1:28 am

Hey Rooksie, do you have something you want to tell us ?! http://usera.imagecave.com/pauldw/headscratch.gif

Ummmm... Nope!! :o

JackTheLad Mar 23rd 2005 1:30 am

Well, in Brisbane they have a $250 fine if you don't pick it up. I never thought I could pick up dog crap, now I do it all the time, and its not a bother! Even late at night when theres no-one watching, and I could get away with it, I still pick it up.

And the great thing is, there are doggy crap bag dispensers at every park, so I only ever carry one with me, and if the wee lad feels particularly productive that night, I take another few from the dispenser.

I have noticed others aren't quite as socially concious. There was a large mound outside our house the other morning. But now I'm immune to the stuff, I just grabbed a doggy crap bag and picked it up. And if I ever see the owner, I'll rub it in his face :D

Cheers,
JTL

possoms Mar 23rd 2005 2:09 am

ROFL!!

Uh what do they do? :rolleyes:

Paul2004 Mar 23rd 2005 2:11 am

http://usera.imagecave.com/pauldw/spider.jpg

:D

possoms Mar 23rd 2005 2:31 am

:scared: Bloody hell I'm absolutely pi**ing myself here, brilliant :D

Paul2004 Mar 23rd 2005 2:40 am

:scared: Bloody hell I'm absolutely pi**ing myself here, brilliant :D

Had to! ....lol

chatty34 Mar 23rd 2005 2:58 am

lol lol, My kids are still laughing.

JackTheLad Mar 23rd 2005 3:01 am

Uh what do they do? :rolleyes:

Read the paper.

Errrm maybe thats just me, what does your other half do? :scared:

Cheers,
JTL

DollyDaydream Mar 23rd 2005 3:06 am

Priceless!!!!! :D

D D

Athena Mar 23rd 2005 3:12 am

Oh my god!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared:

You guys just scared the sh*t out of me!!! I clicked on the "last page" link to this thread... and I saw this MONSTER suddenly right before my face!!!! YIKES!!!!

*faints*

Rooksie Mar 23rd 2005 3:30 am

Had to! ....lol

youd need a big sainsburys bag for that lot mate!!!! :eek:

jimtrish Mar 23rd 2005 6:44 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well, if its all the same to you, I'll still kill the redbacks, I don't care how 'dopey' or attractive you think they are

Redbacks

No thanks, if wasps deserve to die, then redbacks deserves to die 10 times over. :mad:

Cheers,
JTL

totally agree with you, if it moves...whack it :scared:

jimtrish Mar 23rd 2005 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
I have same approach as that here in the UK.....hence why our cat never comes in !...........

Can some cat lover tell me why it is "clean and ok" to have a cats nose that has been out smelling ours and our neighbours rubbish, wheelie bins, other cats "spray", other cats arses, dog poo, cat poo, you name it......walking around my kitchen and lounge ?.........without first cleaning it ?.......

I'd sooner have a house of Huntsmans than a cat !!!

well dont let the cat lick you :D
but cats are ace, they help detect ghosties :scared:

Paul2004 Mar 23rd 2005 7:01 am

Originally Posted by jimtrish
well dont let the cat lick you :D
but cats are ace, they help detect ghosties :scared:

I'm wondering how my dog will cope with ANYTHING in the garden, let alone Huntsmen!

Very soon we'll be catching him tossing frogs round the garden! He don't mean to kill them, I think just curious of them.

I'm just a little worried as the Huntsmen might not take too well to that ...lol

kiwichild Mar 23rd 2005 7:30 am

I'm wondering how my dog will cope with ANYTHING in the garden, let alone Huntsmen!

Very soon we'll be catching him tossing frogs round the garden! He don't mean to kill them, I think just curious of them.

I'm just a little worried as the Huntsmen might not take too well to that ...lol

Keep an eye out for those bloody cane toads! I don't know if they are on the qsld coast though, but they are POISONOUS to dogs !! So make sure you ask a local veternarian about local dangers dangers to your pets and how to minimise any potential for harm

Paul2004 Mar 23rd 2005 7:38 am

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Keep an eye out for those bloody cane toads! I don't know if they are on the qsld coast though, but they are POISONOUS to dogs !! So make sure you ask a local veternarian about local dangers dangers to your pets and how to minimise any potential for harm

Yeah a girl I spoke to the other day who's from Oz warned me about them, the toad AND their dodgy mucus stuff ....... yuk!

Ole mad Max (mutley) is gonna have a whale of a time there .............. NOT!

we'll just have to be carefull I guess.

tractor boy Mar 23rd 2005 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Definately huntsman in Perth, seen a few so far but mostly in out of the way places...seen a number of red backs and loads of Black Window spiders.

Do you get many black window spiders!!!!!! we never get any on our upvc windows must be because there's no camaflouge on the white surround!

Laurie1st Mar 23rd 2005 8:18 am

I spent far too much time today investigating exactly which spiders are in Victoria. I am not pleased!

wombat42 Mar 23rd 2005 8:53 am

Thank god for Aussie spiders, otherwise there would be 200,000 Poms immigrating down here every year instead of 20,000. :D

jocky boy Mar 23rd 2005 10:12 am

hi guys just a short although important question coming to perth south west bunbury next year is seeing spiders common red back e.t.c. i was looking for info on bunbury anybody got an.
see ya
jocky boy..

Simone Mar 23rd 2005 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by jocky boy
hi guys just a short although important question coming to perth south west bunbury next year is seeing spiders common red back e.t.c. i was looking for info on bunbury anybody got an.
see ya
jocky boy..

Yeah, reasonably common. same as anywhere. You don't see them everyday, maybe not even every week.
They're usually only in hard to get to places though, like garages, and outside. And sometimes in garden furniture. So often only when you look for them you will find them.
No different to anywhere else.
:)

ozzieeagle Mar 23rd 2005 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by wombat42
Thank god for Aussie spiders, otherwise there would be 200,000 Poms immigrating down here every year instead of 20,000. :D

Lol,

One pertinant fact is, although all these creepy crawly things exist, some of the dangers potrayed by them are vastly overrated, particuarly the "red back" spider. I think you will find, most Aussies are far more intimated by the "european wasp" Thats the common every day yellow and black thing you find buzzing around all over the place in england, Than they are by most creatures potrayed in this thread.

More people are killed by bees, than any other creature that is potrayed here, as well.

The insect I hate most in Aussie, is the bloody fly, Especially when it gets humid and there are zillions of the phuucking things crawlling all over you, especially around the eyes and mouth. They definitely put me of of being outside when they are swarming.

wombat42 Mar 23rd 2005 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Lol,

One pertinant fact is, although all these creepy crawly things exist, some of the dangers potrayed by them are vastly overrated, particuarly the "red back" spider. I think you will find, most Aussies are far more intimated by the "european wasp" Thats the common every day yellow and black thing you find buzzing around all over the place in england, Than they are by most creatures potrayed in this thread.

More people are killed by bees, than any other creature that is potrayed here, as well.

The insect I hate most in Aussie, is the bloody fly, Especially when it gets humid and there are zillions of the phuucking things crawlling all over you, especially around the eyes and mouth. They definitely put me of of being outside when they are swarming.

l agree totally, this is one of the most sensible posts l have ever read.
No one has been killed by spider bites in OZ since the 1950's while quite a few have been killed by European wasp stings and bees stings, also a few people have been killed when bees or wasps have gotten into drink containers
such as soft drink cans and when people have drunk it the wasp or bee ends up biting them inside the throat, However no one has mentioned a fear of bees or wasps.
Spiders don't bother me and l have no fear of them unless one was crawling on my face for example, most Aussies feel the same way, the only people that seem to be terrified of spiders are Poms that have never been to OZ but plan to come here. Most Aussie hate flies the most and see them as the biggest pest not spiders.
l have lived in OZ all my life and have been bitten by bees twice but have never been bitten by a spider and l don't know anyone who has ever been bitten by a spider. Spiders prey on insects not humans and are terrified of humans.

Paul2004 Mar 23rd 2005 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by wombat42
Spiders prey on insects not humans and are terrified of humans.

Did one tell you this Wombat?

:D