Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

migrant flights?

migrant flights?

Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:35 am
Just Joined

tinx73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question migrant flights?

Hi,have heard a little about cheaper flights & extra luggage allowance for migrants,do all airlines offer this,been on the main airline websites but can't find any info?...do i need to phone them direct or book through a high street travel agent to get the deals...does anyone have any experience or advice on this please??
with thanks Claire x
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: migrant flights?

Originally Posted by tinx73
Hi,have heard a little about cheaper flights & extra luggage allowance for migrants,do all airlines offer this,been on the main airline websites but can't find any info?...do i need to phone them direct or book through a high street travel agent to get the deals...does anyone have any experience or advice on this please??
with thanks Claire x
Very few airlines do extra luggage allowances these days, generally only Singapore and Emirates offer them.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 12:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

And only if you've not already validated your visa. Some people get lucky if they beg via email to the airline but not often.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

tinx73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks just emailed & quantas offer 40kg allowance on unvalidated visas & can offer migrant flight deals if book direct over phone,waiting for reply off other airlines...
Old Aug 9th 2012, 12:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks just emailed & quantas offer 40kg allowance on unvalidated visas & can offer migrant flight deals if book direct over phone,waiting for reply off other airlines...
Make sure you don't end up paying way more than other airlines. Just because they say they'll offer that doesn't mean it will save you anything. If you do decide to go with QANTAS (no U )make sure you get the baggage allowance confirmed in writing so the check in desk don't deny any knowledge.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 3:43 am
uzi
Java Dweeb

uzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud of

In addition, IOM generally cover these flights as well. You need to book in advance of 2-3 months though, as there are limited seats on this particular fare class.

Good luck.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

The wife had a "probationary spouse visa" .. so not a permi spouse one.

She got nothing extra.

And me as an Aussie, got nothing extra either.

Packing your entire life into 20kg each (well, 10kg for me and 40kg for her and then begging and pleading at the checkin desk).

So make sure you check which visa you actually have!
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

Me and my son got double baggage allowance with Singapore four months ago. It wasn't on their website so I sent them an email and then printed their reply and put it in my hand luggage

The guy at the counter when I was checking in was having none of it until I pulled out the piece of paper and shown him. So take a copy with you to the airport because the last thing you need is to be paying for additional weight
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We flew back the other way this year with Emirates, they gave us 30kg as standard, are a fantastic airline and the fares were great.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

parlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really nice

Hi, have a look at this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752186

Good luck!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Emirates do extra but you need PR. Although I kept the girl talking at the check in desk and she didnt even weight my bags or mountain bike! and I was a fair bit over!
Old Aug 12th 2012, 6:16 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

We tried the IOM thing and were given night flights 01:30 (if I remember correctly) from heathrow. Had a look inline and found Singapore ones leaving 11:30am uk time arriving Brisbane 19:30 local time with 20kgs for £400 less for the 4 of us. That £400 flight saving has been turned into 10 seven seas tea chest size boxes of up to 40kgs each! Just have to wait a few weeks for them to arrive and shave the luggage weight down.

Not saying our way is the right way just trying to show there are alternative ways of working through what might be best solution for you.

Good luck
Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
We tried the IOM thing and were given night flights 01:30 (if I remember correctly) from heathrow.
Heathrow has a curfew from 2300 so nothing would be scheduled to leave at that time...latest is about 2230 I think.

Some airlines are now doing excess baggage in the per piece concept rather than a huge amount per kilo. Qantas migrant fares always seemed to me to just be the standard one way fare + the standard excess baggage charge marketed as something special!

Qantas now uses the piece concept for excess baggage so it should be very affordable to add another 23kg. With BA it something trivial like 32 quid.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 10:24 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Heathrow has a curfew from 2300 so nothing would be scheduled to leave at that time...latest is about 2230 I think.

Some airlines are now doing excess baggage in the per piece concept rather than a huge amount per kilo. Qantas migrant fares always seemed to me to just be the standard one way fare + the standard excess baggage charge marketed as something special!

Qantas now uses the piece concept for excess baggage so it should be very affordable to add another 23kg. With BA it something trivial like 32 quid.
Yes, I remember now it arrived in Brisbane at 01:30 the flight we booked arrives at 19:30 so a lot nicer, quantas do the extra baggage thing for £30-40 per bag but when we looked the flights we're around £400 dearer than Singapore. There are loads of different options. I suppose it depends on the deals and prices available at the time you book it. It's what makes these forums so valuable.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Jamer is an unknown quantity at this point

We opened a bank account with ANZ and are being offered 50Kgs of luggage allowance if we fly with Emirates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.