Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrant customs for notebook

Migrant customs for notebook

Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:09 am
Just Joined

thalasz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migrant customs for notebook

I have a PR visa, next January will be my first entry to Australia.
I know that I can bring all personal items if older than 12 months duty free, but what I have to do for example with a notebook if NOT older than 12?

Have I pay customs? Do you know something about the fee?

I think not I am the only one, who wants to bring my laptop, but what is you experience at the airport the customs officer will ask to show the purchase bill or something?

Any info will be good. Thanks for help! ;-)

Last edited by thalasz; Nov 8th 2004 at 10:12 am.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 11:24 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Migrant customs for notebook

Originally Posted by thalasz
I have a PR visa, next January will be my first entry to Australia.
I know that I can bring all personal items if older than 12 months duty free, but what I have to do for example with a notebook if NOT older than 12?

Have I pay customs? Do you know something about the fee?

I think not I am the only one, who wants to bring my laptop, but what is you experience at the airport the customs officer will ask to show the purchase bill or something?

Any info will be good. Thanks for help! ;-)
I can't really give you an answer, but I can give you my experience. We bought a laptop in Singapore on the way to Oz. We declared it on the customs form. The immigration woman (before we got to customs) asked how much it cost. I gave the price in Singapore dollars. She asked what that would be in A$. I gave a rough figure (translating via £s - approx £660). She said, oh that will be alright and put a line through the question on our customs form. As a throw-away comment she added that we were probably within the limit because of the 3 kids. The man at customs didn't ask.

I think honesty is the best policy, especially after seeing the people in the nothing to declare line receiving the 3rd degree for "smuggling" something that looked like a Pot Noodle.

Cheers
Alistair