Reload this Page >

Migrant Baby allowances

Migrant Baby allowances

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

ABB1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migrant Baby allowances

HI,

I'm aware that each migrant is allowed to take AUD 10,000 without any taxes. Is this allowed for my 1 year old baby ? And do we need to purchase an air ticket for him?

Thanx
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrant Baby allowances

Originally Posted by ABB1
HI,

I'm aware that each migrant is allowed to take AUD 10,000 without any taxes. Is this allowed for my 1 year old baby ? And do we need to purchase an air ticket for him?

Thanx
Where did you hear that migrants get taxed for taking more than $10K?

There is a rule that if you bring in more than $10,000 in cash when you arrive,then you have to declare it but you still don't get taxed on it.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

HI,

Thanx
I think you are confused.

You can take as much as you like without taxes.

the $10000 refers to the amount of cash you can carry.

Taxes only come into the equation if you leave the money behind and the exchange rate changes.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Where did you hear that migrants get taxed for taking more than $10K?

There is a rule that if you bring in more than $10,000 in cash when you arrive,then you have to declare it but you still don't get taxed on it.
Snap!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:30 am
ABCDiamond

Does the baby have a money bag big enough for the $10,000 ?

Good question about tickets for a baby, they should be able to fly for free, if they don't take up any room or eat anything etc.

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
I think you are confused.

You can take as much as you like without taxes.

the $10000 refers to the amount of cash you can carry.

Taxes only come into the equation if you leave the money behind and the exchange rate changes.
- well it's like this , I'm hoping to take roughly $15,000 with me, do i have to declaire this to AUS customs? What's the purpose of declairation?

- What's the best way of taking money? cash or transfering from my local bank A/C to a AUS bank a/c? If so is there any tax/loss involved?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:43 am
Bitter and twisted

- well it's like this , I'm hoping to take roughly $15,000 with me, do i have to declaire this to AUS customs? What's the purpose of declairation?

- What's the best way of taking money? cash or transfering from my local bank A/C to a AUS bank a/c? If so is there any tax/loss involved?
Just transfer it using one of the currency exchange companies or through your bank.

You don't have to declare it and you will not be liable for tax on it.

You may have to pay transfer fees to your bank or whichever company you use.

G
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Snap!
"Great minds" or "fools thoughts".....
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Just transfer it using one of the currency exchange companies or through your bank.

You don't have to declare it and you will not be liable for tax on it.

You may have to pay transfer fees to your bank or whichever company you use.

G

But isn't that when i open a bank A/C and give my tax number once i migrated, they 'll be wondering about the deposited money and therefore liable for tax ??
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:49 am
Bitter and twisted

But isn't that when i open a bank A/C and give my tax number once i migrated, they 'll be wondering about the deposited money and therefore liable for tax ??
You don't have to pay tax on any money you transfer when you move.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:01 am
ABCDiamond

Some official info from Customs:

Currency
There is no limit to the amount of currency you can bring in or out of Australia.
However, you must declare amounts of A$10,000 or more in Australian currency or foreign equivalent.
If asked by Customs you must also fill in a Bearer Negotiable Instruments (BNI) form if you're carrying promissory notes, travellers cheques, personal cheques, money orders or postal orders.
One reason for this is to combat money laundering. It only applies to notes (and coins I suppose )

You could always use Travellers cheques if you don't want to use a bank transfer. They do not need to be declared unless you are asked about them.

If you carry more than $10,000 in notes, and do NOT declare it. Technically they can confiscate it.

As others have said, no tax is payable, unless of course the money is classed as an income, which in your case it does not sound like it is.
Otherwise it is just your personal money that you are bringing here with you.

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

thank u very much guys, this was soo helpful