Midwives

Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

bethc79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwives

Hi everyone I am new to this site so ia apologise if this question has been asked before, i couldnt find an answer so thought i'd just ask. I am a student midwife who is due to qualify in Scotland after 3 year years training as a direct entry midwife (i.e i didnt train as a nurse prior to midwife) just wondering if i would have to have post graduation experience or could i gain that out there? we are hoping to apply for a visa on my partner being an electrician, so that we can go as soon as i finish uni or would i have to work here first? we are hoping to settle in the Perth area. Thanks for your help.

Beth
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Smilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really nice
Default Re: Midwives

Originally Posted by bethc79
Hi everyone I am new to this site so ia apologise if this question has been asked before, i couldnt find an answer so thought i'd just ask. I am a student midwife who is due to qualify in Scotland after 3 year years training as a direct entry midwife (i.e i didnt train as a nurse prior to midwife) just wondering if i would have to have post graduation experience or could i gain that out there? we are hoping to apply for a visa on my partner being an electrician, so that we can go as soon as i finish uni or would i have to work here first? we are hoping to settle in the Perth area. Thanks for your help.

Beth
Hi Beth

I am married to a Midwife (direct entry) and my wife was offered a post on qualification in oz. However she felt she wanted to do her preceptorship in this country and now has one and a half years experience and is now band 6. She is very very glad she did this as she now feels confident to practice in a new environment.

Perth has only just started accepting direct entry midwives so you should be ok. On interveiw question everthing as my wife found that in the private sector she would have been no more than an obstetric nurse with doctors doing all the good work of delivering etc.

There is a specfic forum for nurses/medical things on here so you may find you get more input from others if you post there.

Im just a lay person so I will draw her attention to your post when she gets home from nights should you wish.

Good luck

Chris
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really nice
Default Re: Midwives

Hi

My OH (Smilz) is right with what he has replied.

Many areas run Grad programmes and they want newly qualified Midwives with no experience to enter onto them before they are able to work as an experienced Midwife. These programmes are generally a year long and a bit like an introduction/preceptor year.

I felt that i was better suited to get my preceptor year here in the UK and I don't regret it. I feel totally confident now in the move to Oz.

PM me if I can help you further.

Tapuhi