Midwifery

Old Jan 29th 2012, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Location: Pontypridd (Ponty Carlo) moving back to Perth in April 2012
Brendan-Amy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwifery

Has anyone actually done their training nursing or midwifery in oz? I'm hoping to go back to uni when I move in April. Thanks guys x
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:05 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Midwifery

I am a student nurse and midwife in Australia at the moment. What specific questions do you have?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:36 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a second year nursing student here. As Mika says, what do you want to know?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mika24me
I am a student nurse and midwife in Australia at the moment. What specific questions do you have?
Hiya, I was just wondering on aspects such as fees etc, are you eligible for any grants or anything? Are you classed as an international student?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm a second year nursing student here. As Mika says, what do you want to know?
We will be settling in Perth, I'm just wondering what uni to go for, costs etc. I have a 16 month yr old boy so I'll be looking at trying to fit studying around him etc
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brendan-Amy
Hiya, I was just wondering on aspects such as fees etc, are you eligible for any grants or anything? Are you classed as an international student?
Fees are based on your visa/citizenship status. I'm a citizen, so pay domestic rates but have a HECS loan (only available to citizens) which means I don't pay fees upfront but pay back through payroll deductions as I also work full time so make over the threshold.
We will be settling in Perth, I'm just wondering what uni to go for, costs etc. I have a 16 month yr old boy so I'll be looking at trying to fit studying around him etc
I work full time at Royal Perth Hospital so do my course at UniSA externally. All my lectures are uploaded to my iPad and I communicate with my lecturers by email or university forums. I do have to go to Adelaide from Perth at least a couple of times a year and may have to do at least one placement over there, but that's ok. I just make it a bit of a holiday while I'm there.

If you want to go to uni here in Perth I would suggest Curtin. You can study externally but still go to lectures at the Bentley campus if you want or need more hands on lectures. I found the lectures are ok online but tutorials on campus were really helpful when I didn't understand something. ECU, UWA, Murdoch and Notre Dame also do nursing/midwifery but I don't really know much about how their courses run. I do know that I see a lot of ECU and Curtin nursing students at our hospital.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Fees are based on your visa/citizenship status. I'm a citizen, so pay domestic rates but have a HECS loan (only available to citizens) which means I don't pay fees upfront but pay back through payroll deductions as I also work full time so make over the threshold.

I work full time at Royal Perth Hospital so do my course at UniSA externally. All my lectures are uploaded to my iPad and I communicate with my lecturers by email or university forums. I do have to go to Adelaide from Perth at least a couple of times a year and may have to do at least one placement over there, but that's ok. I just make it a bit of a holiday while I'm there.

If you want to go to uni here in Perth I would suggest Curtin. You can study externally but still go to lectures at the Bentley campus if you want or need more hands on lectures. I found the lectures are ok online but tutorials on campus were really helpful when I didn't understand something. ECU, UWA, Murdoch and Notre Dame also do nursing/midwifery but I don't really know much about how their courses run. I do know that I see a lot of ECU and Curtin nursing students at our hospital.
I'm coming over on a 2 year temp partner visa as my other Hal and our son are oz citizens, I believe my visa goes from temp to permanent after 2 years, then I am able to claim citizenship.if I wish.
Great advice and info, thank you
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:38 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Please excuse a brief subject detour... since this is a thread for midwives... can anyone please tell me why adrenaline is used during an emergency caesarian? Many years have passed since mine (so not a legal issue) but when I asked obstetricians office recently they said they had no record of it being used... and I distinctly remember them asking for it during the proceedure.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Charles Darwin Uni also do external Nursing.
Also heard they have just started Midwifery external.

Would have to attend oncampus workshops for about 5 days in Broome twice a year, placements usually in your own state.

Midwifery degree is usually very competitive to get a place, so most do degree in Nursing first then Midwifery course.

Gems
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:13 am
Still alive

I'm coming over on a 2 year temp partner visa as my other Hal and our son are oz citizens, I believe my visa goes from temp to permanent after 2 years, then I am able to claim citizenship.if I wish.
Great advice and info, thank you
You can get citizenship after 4 years in Australia. In the meantime I would email the admissions office at a couple of universities and ask them what the fee structure is on a temp partner visa. Although, if you are on a PR you would pay domestic fees but not be eligible for HECS or HELP.

Are you sure you're going to be on a temporary visa? If you have been with your partner that long and have 2 children you would usually go straight to PR. Have you got your visa yet?

Brissy, adrenaline is used when your heart rate drops or sometimes as an additive to a local anaesthetic to make it work faster.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:16 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

You can get citizenship after 4 years in Australia. In the meantime I would email the admissions office at a couple of universities and ask them what the fee structure is on a temp partner visa. Although, if you are on a PR you would pay domestic fees but not be eligible for HECS or HELP.

Are you sure you're going to be on a temporary visa? If you have been with your partner that long and have 2 children you would usually go straight to PR. Have you got your visa yet?

Brissy, adrenaline is used when your heart rate drops or sometimes as an additive to a local anaesthetic to make it work faster.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:50 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

As PP's have said, you are eligible for lower fees which can be deferred once you are a citizen. To apply for uni you usually (although it may change state to state) have to sit a STAT test which is a multiple choice IQ type examination. Depending on the state you may also need to write a personal statement detailing why you should get on the course. Access to midwifery degrees is very competitive so you need to have a strong application.

There are 3 routes to midwifery here. You can do a direct entry degree (3 years), a nursing degree (3 years) then a postgraduate midwifery qualification, or a double nursing/midwifery degree (4 years). The latter is what I am doing and is the least portable of the options, as you cannot register as a midwife in the UK following this degree.

I think UniSA have recently said they will not offer the course externally to any non SA students because of the difficulties arranging placements. Would be worth an investigation though as it is a popular course.

Good luck
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:54 am
Just Joined

We have only been together 4 years and we are not married, a partner visa was all I could get I believe, not got visa yet, awaiting medical results and police check to come back
Old Jan 30th 2012, 5:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We have only been together 4 years and we are not married, a partner visa was all I could get I believe, not got visa yet, awaiting medical results and police check to come back
Three years plus children equals Permanent Resident.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Three years plus children equals Permanent Resident.
I'll have to look into that then, thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.