Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Message for all people emmigrating to Adelaide

Message for all people emmigrating to Adelaide

Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

And another
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:11 pm
Emz
Just Joined

Emz is on a distinguished road
Default Adelaide - the truth, please!

Hello all,

Discovered this website a few months ago, but didn't feel 'worthy' of joining in until I'd actually put my money where my mouth is and applied!

So...... we finally put our application in on Dec 23rd - no migration agent, thought I could handle it (?!) We went under the skilled independent category in the end. .... Was supposed to be Designated Area Sponsored but my husband's Aunt messed up all the paperwork (after we'd been waiting 8 months) - so we decided to go it alone! Jim has 2 Aunts living in Adelaide and he went for 6 weeks a few years ago and absolutely loved it... We plan to go there if (no, when) we get accepted!

However.... have been hearing lots of negative things about Adelaide ("a dump", 'boring", not "stylish" etc etc). I have to say that these comments are mostly from my snobby friends in Sydney, Melbourne etc, but it has got me thinking if it's the right place for us. We live in the Caribbean now, small place, so we thought Adelaide would be less of a shock than Melbourne, Sydney.

We're both 32, married no kids (yet). I'm a teacher and Jim's in sales. Please let us know what your experiences of Adelaide are - no holds barred!

Emz & Jim
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I'm sure you gonna get lots of replies over on Adelaide Brits!!

If you are the type of person who places more importance on who you are seen with, what you wear, and consider having a great time regardless of what others think as unthinkable, then no, Adelaide isnt for you!!!
We like to have fun here!!

Adelaide is no way a dump...please see some of the pics on this thread. Yes there are some bad parts of suburbia here, but i never been to any city that doenst have that. In my opinion Adelaide is one of the prettiest cities i have seen. Look forward to chatting over at Adelaide Brits
I think you are the type of person Adelaide needs!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:15 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide - the truth, please!

Originally posted by Emz
Hello all,

Discovered this website a few months ago, but didn't feel 'worthy' of joining in until I'd actually put my money where my mouth is and applied!

So...... we finally put our application in on Dec 23rd - no migration agent, thought I could handle it (?!) We went under the skilled independent category in the end. .... Was supposed to be Designated Area Sponsored but my husband's Aunt messed up all the paperwork (after we'd been waiting 8 months) - so we decided to go it alone! Jim has 2 Aunts living in Adelaide and he went for 6 weeks a few years ago and absolutely loved it... We plan to go there if (no, when) we get accepted!

However.... have been hearing lots of negative things about Adelaide ("a dump", 'boring", not "stylish" etc etc). I have to say that these comments are mostly from my snobby friends in Sydney, Melbourne etc, but it has got me thinking if it's the right place for us. We live in the Caribbean now, small place, so we thought Adelaide would be less of a shock than Melbourne, Sydney.

We're both 32, married no kids (yet). I'm a teacher and Jim's in sales. Please let us know what your experiences of Adelaide are - no holds barred!

Emz & Jim

Emz & Jim,

From what I can gather Adelaide is a very lovely place.
It's the British immigrants that let the place down !!!

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

LMAO...watch it buster!!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:27 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
LMAO...watch it buster!!
Podgy,

I am beginning to think u never go to bed or is it that u are not really in Adelaide ?

I have one or two special threads prepared so watch this space as they say. I think; nay I hope u will enjoy them.

PS
Elaine M is due out there in 14 days so escape while u can.

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:32 pm
Emz
Just Joined

Emz is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by podgypossum

THANK YOU podgypossum! It's amazing how people can take the wind out of your sails, isn't it? One of the reasons we chose Adelaide in the first place is to avoid all of that "one up with the Jones'" crap you can get in the UK (and where we are now). Every Ozzie I've ever met has been v. down to earth, exactly our style.

Have registered over on the Adelaide chat site, so look forward to chatting with you there!

regards,
Emz
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:38 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally posted by Emz

Have registered over on the Adelaide chat site, so look forward to chatting with you there!

regards,
Emz
Emz,

This is your last chance. Don't say I didn't warn you.
If you go to that site the Adelade Wives will hook you and reel you in.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Bix
Podgy,

I am beginning to think u never go to bed or is it that u are not really in Adelaide ?

I have one or two special threads prepared so watch this space as they say. I think; nay I hope u will enjoy them.

PS
Elaine M is due out there in 14 days so escape while u can.

i am here Bix..honest!!

I'll be honest now..i have been having serious sleep problems lately..i have been prone to it for many years. That, doubled with medication problems means i never know when i am going to be asleep or awake. I am not a hypocondriac so dont like to go on about it...

When you are awake int he middle of the night, theres not much else to do but sit here ...cant do housework as hubby sleeping, cant go out, and dont watch much tv. I'd rather come here and wind people up for the fun of it ...
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:04 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

i am here Bix..honest!!

I'll be honest now..i have been having serious sleep problems lately..i have been prone to it for many years. That, doubled with medication problems means i never know when i am going to be asleep or awake. I am not a hypocondriac so dont like to go on about it...

When you are awake int he middle of the night, theres not much else to do but sit here ...cant do housework as hubby sleeping, cant go out, and dont watch much tv. I'd rather come here and wind people up for the fun of it ...
PP,
To be serious for once I am sorry to hear that. I should try to sleep it off. Damn, you see I just can't help myself !!
I have noticed some of that wind up and enjoy it and on that note I have something special in store for you. Time I started threading - look out people !

Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ooooooooooh... i'm waiting in suspenders (not literally)
Old Jan 28th 2004, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bonk
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

plink
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:17 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Bonk
Careful, PP.... people might think that was an offer!

Seeing as you have almost 1500 hits on this thread, why don't you ask Peter to make it a 'Read Me' thread, and hold it at the top. After all, it's not like you're in competition with expats....

WBB asked with a 'please'. and got his name changed, but his total docked.
Hev asked with a 'pretty please' and got her name changed with no docking.
You could ask 'pretty please with sugar on it...', and get your total bounced to 2000....

If you don't ask, you don't get.

At least that way you won't have to bonk again.....
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats a good idea..

As we have some more Adelaide newbies i am bonking this up again..

PTlabs.. you are such a spunky kind of guy and i know how helpful you like to be. I reckon you must be the answer to every girls prayer.
(is that good enough?)

Can we have this put at the top of the thread list?...hmmm?..please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.