Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A message for all new forum members

A message for all new forum members

Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:38 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: A message for all new forum members

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Nice post Anya, I remember when Jill and I first posted, we were always a little worried that we didn't come across as asking stupid questions......god knows what people think of us now !!!

My advice to new posters is always do a thorough search on your question first as sometimes people ask the same question and the thread was only on a few days earlier.

Jill and I will always be happy to help new members as the fun and camaraderie and new friends we have gained has gone a long way to helping us get where we want.

Best wishes and good luck to all those on the rollercoaster of application

Warren
Leaving tomorrow don't you know !!
Warren! Leaving at last, and soon your whole family will be reunited! Terrific, I'm so pleased for you all!!

[Yes, I fondly recall those early days when we all asked our daft questions, and got some fantastically useful & entertaining answers from the 'old hands'. And now many of us are 'old hands' & over here, dealing with recalcitrant UK electrical goods *for real*! ]

Have a great trip!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Warren! Leaving at last, and soon your whole family will be reunited! Terrific, I'm so pleased for you all!!

[Yes, I fondly recall those early days when we all asked our daft questions, and got some fantastically useful & entertaining answers from the 'old hands'. And now many of us are 'old hands' & over here, dealing with recalcitrant UK electrical goods *for real*! ]

Have a great trip!

Cheers,
Anya.
thank you anya for such a thoughtful post. i joined the forum in august and only came across it by chance. for me personally i'm not used to or should i say wasn't used to speaking online and wasn't used to searching, threads etc , so it wasn't until i actually posted my 1st Q that i then knew to look in other places and am sure that probably goes for lots of newies!

this forum and most of the people on it have been a godsend to me and my family regarding the immigration process. i've learnt and laughed at some of the threads and its nice when you start to feel 'part of it'.

debbie
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: A message for all new forum members

Welcome to the forum.

Reading some of the recent threads here, you may have got the impression that we are all intolerant of new posters asking basic questions, and of people who have different opinions from ourselves. Let me reassure that, for many of us on here, this is not the case.

Many of us have 'been there' with this stressful emigration process and know only too well the highs & lows of the roller coaster ride, and the need to ask pedantic details like 'can I buy bulbs for my uplighter in Oz or should I take some spares with me?' Most of us don't mind you asking things like this & will do our best to help with an answer if we can.

As for what life here in Oz is really like - would you prefer the 'Ministry of Truth' version (ie sunshine every day, food/houses/petrol cheap, everyone out playing cricket/footy all day, no traffic lines, every spare moment spent at a barby on the beach) or the truth: that life here has its ups & downs, many of us like it here and others aren't so happy, but all of our opinions & experiences are valid, and may be of use/interest to someone?

Very best of luck to all waiting for visas - keep the gin/vodka bottle handy for when it gets stressful & remember, there are plenty of us here willing to give you support & other perspectives when the going gets tough.

Cheers,
Anya.

Excellent post Anya
It is good to have the views from someone who has been there a long time, and know's all the pitfalls etc.
I have a friend who has been out there for 4 years now and I am always on the phone, or emailing him, or jumping on messenger etc, he says exactly the same, when I feel I am bothering him, he says now worries just ask away.
It was funny I was talking to him last night and quoting him some of his emails from back in October 2000, when he first landed.
Incidently how long have you been out there?

Keep up the good work
Cheers
D

Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:43 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
And to everyone already there who has heard all the questions, whether good or bad, please take a deep breath, count to 10 and then reply. Don't just dive in with "clever" "sarcastic" replies. It doesn't help.
Yes it does.

Most of us love clever sarcastic replies
Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:05 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Anya,

After posting lots of times on here and getting positive replies, I wasnt sure if the whinging poms post was aimed at me as i had asked about hoovers and microwaves working in auz, (just cos thought it might be a different voltage jobby.......) I felt dead paranoid to ask anything else incase thats what everyone thought, i felt even sorrier for those new people who had asked about tvs recentley.

So this thread is very re-assuring that you can ask things and not be shot down for it.

I have family in Perth that I can ask most things to, but as they moved over to Auz over 15 years ago now, things have changed soo much and they are almost true aussies So its cool to be able to ask advice on here and get advice from new migrants who have just been through what you are about to go through.

Anyways thanks Anya

laura
x
Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:14 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I felt that way too after asking daft questions about front loaded applications etc. etc. One day we will be experienced ex-pats helping the newbies like us!!!!!

Good post Anya

Lynn
Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
Yes it does.

Most of us love clever sarcastic replies

Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

thank you Anya we all have our starting point and some months - years down the line I hope i can be as helpful to newcomers too

mary
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
I'll second that. Fire away with real life questions and I'll give real life answers.

Want to know what to bring or leave behind, whether your TV will work, whats worth watching on TV, how much rain there is and how often, which banks are expensive, how much the weekly bus ticket costs, whether Stella is available, which Aussie beers are best, how much cask wine costs, whether Indian takeaways are good, how cheap Dominos Pizza are, whether bluebottles on the beach are a problem, why black cars are a bad idea, what day to buy petrol, what day to rent DVD's (and how much they cost), why iceberg lettuces can be 50c one week and $4 the next, how it only costs $1 to post a birthday card inernationally (not$1.65), when Mother's Day is, whether you can buy fireworks, what Sa Ka Ta is, what the best substitue for Hellman's Mayonnaise is, what time it gets dark, how much an oil filled radiator costs, whether Optus is better than Telstra, what you electricty bill might be (and how soon they'll cut you off if you forget to pay), whether you can buy Patak's sauces, which Naan breads are best, whcih day you can water your garden, what day to put your bins out and what can be recylced, what Fly Buys are, what Rego and CTP mean, whether your Playstation will work, what tea is available, which milk to buy, how much fags cost (and where you can still smoke them legally) or what time the bottle shop is likely to shut then ask away.

Oh and by the way, houses are bigger, it's sunny quite a bit and there are some nice beaches.
when your ready, all of the above need answering for us, especially fags for jim! oh, and playstation info!
cheers!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:34 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
well said Anya!!!
I dont come on here much these days cos i got sick and tired of the arguing, and the bitchy and patronising comments made by some posters. seems no one is allowed an opinion whether its good or bad, and there is always someone ready to jump on your comments and tear them apart.
The final straw for me was when someone asked about the legal process for families who had children from previous relationships and wanted to know what there options would be. The number of people who started moralising and lecturing was appalling....who the bloody hell do some of you people think you are? and the number of people who comment on punctuation and grammar.....FFS!!!
anyway, enough said.
thats my pennys' worth.

The majority of people on here are genuine, sincere, kind and helpful....its just the odd few who stir things and spoil it for everyone else.

ttfn
sue
Sue

Just noticed - what's this 'Brisbane here we come' - have I missed something?? Do tell!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:31 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.

Reading some of the recent threads here, you may have got the impression that we are all intolerant of new posters asking basic questions, and of people who have different opinions from ourselves. Let me reassure that, for many of us on here, this is not the case.

Many of us have 'been there' with this stressful emigration process and know only too well the highs & lows of the roller coaster ride, and the need to ask pedantic details like 'can I buy bulbs for my uplighter in Oz or should I take some spares with me?' Most of us don't mind you asking things like this & will do our best to help with an answer if we can.

As for what life here in Oz is really like - would you prefer the 'Ministry of Truth' version (ie sunshine every day, food/houses/petrol cheap, everyone out playing cricket/footy all day, no traffic lines, every spare moment spent at a barby on the beach) or the truth: that life here has its ups & downs, many of us like it here and others aren't so happy, but all of our opinions & experiences are valid, and may be of use/interest to someone?

Very best of luck to all waiting for visas - keep the gin/vodka bottle handy for when it gets stressful & remember, there are plenty of us here willing to give you support & other perspectives when the going gets tough.

Cheers,
Anya.
Great post Anya, I think that sometimes people forget that they were newbies once. Perhaps poor old Dave English should post his question here.

Dave's post:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262428
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I paid £1500 for a F*** off widescreen Telly with all the gizmos last year.

Too bloody right I want to know if it will work

I have been on this forum a while but I am still a novice where many things are concerned.

I went through a phase of thinking a lot of posts were Trivial or could be answered by a 'search' but now I am getting closer to moving I realise how little I REALLY know. :scared:

Good thinking Anya

Best wishes

G
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:03 am
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Just adding my bit for this site.It's very empowering to hear so many people willing to give their time to help others.
I had an easy ride when I moved over in 96.I can only imagine what it must be like for those going from start to finish.
It's good to talk.
Whilst some may think that leaving England entails leaving behind contact with English people,I don't.
Every other culture in Australia have their hangouts, Greek clubs,italian clubs,etc etc.
There are some things you will always miss: for me it's the humour.I find it quite theraputic to dip into the culture once in a while.(melbourne meets included)
Let's not forget that 1 in 20 Australians were born in the UK - that's a million people.

Melbournehelp " thinking is free "
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Paulamarie99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: A message for all new forum members

Help. I am desperate to emigrate to oz but really dont know where to start! All the info i seem to get is from imigration expert companies. :
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:31 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulamarie99
Help. I am desperate to emigrate to oz but really dont know where to start! All the info i seem to get is from imigration expert companies. :
Then you've come to the right place!

Tell us a little about yourself, eg what work you do, what you like about Aus etc...

Btw, welcome to the forum!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.