Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mentone - Melbourne

Mentone - Melbourne

Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of
Default Mentone - Melbourne

Hi, Anyone living in or around Mentone?
If so, can you pass on any advice regarding the area eg primary schools, house prices (to rent), shopping, beaches etc etc

Regards, Simpy
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:11 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mentone - Melbourne

Originally Posted by simpy
Hi, Anyone living in or around Mentone?
If so, can you pass on any advice regarding the area eg primary schools, house prices (to rent), shopping, beaches etc etc

Regards, Simpy
Melibeam is from Mentone.
I think shes a lady of the night this week so you might have to wait until she wakes up.

Lovely area though.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bordy
I think shes a lady of the night this week so you might have to wait until she wakes up.

Lovely area though.
ok cheers Bordy. On nights myself at mo.... still in the UK
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:23 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

ok cheers Bordy. On nights myself at mo.... still in the UK
Well I love the beaches around mordialloc, Mentone. Beaumaris etc so don't let anyone put you off.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Well I love the beaches around mordialloc, Mentone. Beaumaris etc so don't let anyone put you off.
That's one of the main reasons we have decided upon Mentone due to its location. However, someone in an earlier thread (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392380) stated that the beaches in Melbourne were not very good though, but they haven't replied to me when i questioned why.

Regards,
simpy
Old Aug 24th 2006, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely area though.

Mentone is a great area in my opinion. It has everything a family needs. The schools are good, my kids are at the Catholic schools but the state and primary schools have good reputations too. Southland shopping centre is five minutes drive away. The nearer to the beach the more expensive property is. The beach is lovely, its safe for kids, clean sand, shallow and calm water (dont expect surf type waves). There are shops and cafes in Mentone itself and a Coles and Safeway (supermarkets). The station is on the Frankston line and takes 30 - 40 minutes to get into centre of Melbourne.

We rented when we came here first almost two years ago, our rent was about $400 per week for a three bedroom house.

Mentone is divided in two by the Nepean Highway. On the beach side of the highway property is more expensive, due to being closer to the beach and station etc.

Good luck and hope to meet up with you when you get to Mentone.

Mel
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by melibeam
Mentone is a great area in my opinion. It has everything a family needs. The schools are good, my kids are at the Catholic schools but the state and primary schools have good reputations too. Southland shopping centre is five minutes drive away. The nearer to the beach the more expensive property is. The beach is lovely, its safe for kids, clean sand, shallow and calm water (dont expect surf type waves). There are shops and cafes in Mentone itself and a Coles and Safeway (supermarkets). The station is on the Frankston line and takes 30 - 40 minutes to get into centre of Melbourne.

We rented when we came here first almost two years ago, our rent was about $400 per week for a three bedroom house.

Mentone is divided in two by the Nepean Highway. On the beach side of the highway property is more expensive, due to being closer to the beach and station etc.

Good luck and hope to meet up with you when you get to Mentone.
Mel

Hi Melibeam, thanks for replying. We have looked at all the area's around Melbourne, albeit on the internet as we have never been to Australia, and Mentone sounded like the place for us and now you have just confirmed it. We saw a beautiful 3 bed house to rent last night for $400 with it's own pool but unfortunately as we are not in a position yet we could only dream at the pictures.
Do you know if there are any big food or drink manufacturing companies within commuting distance from Mentone? I know coca-cola amityl is somewhere near Moorabbin but don't know of any others?

Thanks again for your help, and we will keep you informed of our arrival.

Regards, Darren
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Sideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really nice

Hi Simpy,

Noticed your in Atherton, do you happen to work for a local soft drink company by chance ?
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sideys
Hi Simpy,

Noticed your in Atherton, do you happen to work for a local soft drink company by chance ?
Hahaha.... you mean BARRS don't you (WAKEY WAKEY - Kids love that advert)). I don't work for them but my wife does, she is in the offices at Middlebrook (keep it hush hush tho' cos she doesn't want any1 to know at work yet). I work for a food manufacturer as an electrical engineer, that's why i was asking for any food/drink manufacturers in Mentone.

Regards, Simpy
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Sideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really nice

Hi Simpy

I worked for Barrs for 6 years in cumbernald, glasgow up until 2003. I now work in the whisky industry as a line fitter. we also are going to Melbourne and i'm looking for all the food and drink production facilities as well.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Melibeam, thanks for replying. We have looked at all the area's around Melbourne, albeit on the internet as we have never been to Australia, and Mentone sounded like the place for us and now you have just confirmed it. We saw a beautiful 3 bed house to rent last night for $400 with it's own pool but unfortunately as we are not in a position yet we could only dream at the pictures.
Do you know if there are any big food or drink manufacturing companies within commuting distance from Mentone? I know coca-cola amityl is somewhere near Moorabbin but don't know of any others?

Thanks again for your help, and we will keep you informed of our arrival.

Regards, Darren

Sorry dont know of any food/drink manufacturing companies, but there could well be some within commuting distance.

Mel
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Simpy

I worked for Barrs for 6 years in cumbernald, glasgow up until 2003. I now work in the whisky industry as a line fitter. we also are going to Melbourne and i'm looking for all the food and drink production facilities as well.

Nice 1 Sideys, wife does the production planning for cumberald, but she only been there since November(ish) last year. Where about's are you up to with your visa's and where in Melbourne are you planning on going to?

Regards, darren

Last edited by simpy; Aug 24th 2006 at 10:36 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by melibeam
Sorry dont know of any food/drink manufacturing companies, but there could well be some within commuting distance.

Mel

Ok thanks Mel. I think that as long as there are some on the South East side of Melbourne then i should be ok for commuting.
karma sent your way.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 12:43 am
The Godfather

Ok thanks Mel. I think that as long as there are some on the South East side of Melbourne then i should be ok for commuting.
karma sent your way.

Have a look here & maybe follow the links, not sure which parts of Melbourne these companies are in.

http://invest.vic.gov.au/Key+Sectors...y+Profiles.htm
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:54 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Simpy

Passed a cadbury and scweppes head office on St Kilda Road - do a search they may have a plant nearby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.