British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mental health nursing Townsville (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mental-health-nursing-townsville-643680/)

harryed Dec 10th 2009 12:39 am

Re: Mental health nursing Townsville

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 8161958)
Don't you believe it.

The system is designed to stop people "rocking the boat".

Raising someone's hopes too high is only likely to end in disappointment....and I talk as a MH service manager.

...and, no disrespect to you, but a big part of the problem is down to the consultant psychiatrists and the sychophantic way in which they are treated.

G

I agree and no disrespect taken - sadly the profession here needs a big shake up but it'll be a long time coming I'm afraid. There appears to be no accountability and anyone who climbs the ladder seems to be up the proverbial of those in management. The lack of transparency and accountability is shocking if you're new to the system. Changes will eventually happen but very slowly and it will be those of us who've come from overseas who'll make the difference - if we have the patience to stay in the system.

Grayling Dec 10th 2009 7:39 am

Originally Posted by harryed (Post 8162082)
I agree and no disrespect taken - sadly the profession here needs a big shake up but it'll be a long time coming I'm afraid. There appears to be no accountability and anyone who climbs the ladder seems to be up the proverbial of those in management. The lack of transparency and accountability is shocking if you're new to the system. Changes will eventually happen but very slowly and it will be those of us who've come from overseas who'll make the difference - if we have the patience to stay in the system.

Indeed

I have only been in this position for the past few months.....having retired from the NHS.

I am only just beginning to realise what I have let myself in for:ohmy:

....but, at least, I am in a position to be able to do something about it although it is not easy.

G

joan_mike Dec 10th 2009 8:10 am

Hey guys,

Well that is interesting reading, I've heard they are backward in Oz but I've not really heard in what respect, so I am thankful for a bit of insight. Only thing I have been told is that they have only recently stopped using strait jackets in Perth!

I would never have considered for applying for any post other than a nurse, as I only have just over 2 years experience and never feel that confident in my abilities to even think of going further up the ladder. I heard that its hard to get psychiatrists to listen to nurses points of view. I can't believe you can work in MH with 8 weeks training, that is shocking!!!

Do you work in the AMHU then Harryed? Are there a lot of MH services or is it quite limited?

Joan