Reload this Page >

Mental health nursing Townsville

Mental health nursing Townsville

Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

joan_mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mental health nursing Townsville

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm in the process of emigrating to Townsville. Wondering if anyone out there works in the Mental Health Unit? Also been looking at the other threads regarding Townsville and lots of positive things said. I have also read a lot of negative things, lots of crime, young hooligans, bikers causing mayhem etc. Does anyone have any views on this? I'm also looking for info on cost of living?

Joan
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mental health nursing Townsville

Hi Joan
Townsville not a bad place when i visited in july. theres plenty of people who live there and i am sure they will let you know soon.
[IMG]HPIM0645[/IMG]

[IMG]HPIM0637[/IMG]
views from castle hill in winter (still hot)
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

that didnt work. anyone know how to add images?
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mental health nursing Townsville-hpim0637.jpg

Mental health nursing Townsville-hpim0643.jpg

Views from castle hill
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Hi Joan, I'm a RN and will be moving to Townsville end of January. Spent lots of time there with hubby's family. To me Townsville is nice and perfect for us, the weather is great, population size is perfect as well. I'm looking forward to our 9yr old daughter growing up there. In all the times I've spent in Townsville, I never felt unsafe.

Have you applied for your QLD nursing licence yet?

If you are interested in local news in Townsville - check out the local paper online...

http://townsvillebulletin.com.au
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your replies, I love the photo's you get of Townsville it just looks amazing!!

Have you got a job to go to Paularn? I haven't applied for my QLD registration yet, I'm waiting to hear if I've passed the IELTS test. Thanks for the link to the local newspaper Where in Townsville will you be moving to?

Joan
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Hi, no I don't have a job yet. I have applied to a few and haven't gotten a look in and I'm assuming its because I'm still in Canada - and at that time didn't have a move date. So I figured I would wait until closer to the move date or when I'm actually there before I start looking again.

I did submit an Expression of Interest with Queensland Health (it asks when you would be able to start), and last week I did hear from someone on the clinical staff asking what areas I would like to work in. I also did hear from someone about a month ago about a job in Mt. Isa, but we won't go that far. And I heard today about a NICU training course I enquired about....told me they are willing to offer me a position for the June intake if the neonatal NUM were to offer me a position in the unit for when the training is completed (1yr).

We will be moving to Bohle Plains area, relatively new area that is still building and a short ride to the hospital ie. 10-15 minutes?

BTW...took me 4 months to get my QLD nursing licence.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

That sounds good doing that course, and June isn't too far away. Hopefully you will get offered a position for after you've done it. I've not heard of Bohle Plains, thats handy that its fairly close to the hospital. What will you do workwise until June? Are you looking forward to going, I have all sorts of emotions going on. I suppose thats natural as its such a big move. 4 months to get your registration, jeez thought it would just take around a month!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Hi

I'm a paramedic in Townsville, crime and hooligans is far less than compared to a UK city of a similar size. My work load has halfed since coming here from the UK. It's a great city with a township feel to it, my only disappointment is the fish & chip shops only do frozen chips , no real chippies unless you make your own. And public transport is poor, so that means I drive my ute everywhere

regards

John
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Hey John,

Thanks for you reply, its really reassuring to have some positive feedback, as I've read some scary stuff about Townsville and had second thoughts for a while. I reckon its the usual of each to their own etc, and if you don't want to like somewhere then you won't. Where in the UK did you stay? Have you been in Townsville long? What, no real chips in a chippy??? Thats just awful, oh noooo Yeah I heard that public transport is rubbish, looks like I'll be staying near the hospital so I can walk/cycle.

Joan
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joan_mike
Hey John,

Thanks for you reply, its really reassuring to have some positive feedback, as I've read some scary stuff about Townsville and had second thoughts for a while. I reckon its the usual of each to their own etc, and if you don't want to like somewhere then you won't. Where in the UK did you stay? Have you been in Townsville long? What, no real chips in a chippy??? Thats just awful, oh noooo Yeah I heard that public transport is rubbish, looks like I'll be staying near the hospital so I can walk/cycle.

Joan
Hi Joan

I have been in Townsville for 14 mths now and love it, no regrets whats so ever. I worked in Merseyside/cheshire region, predominately Ellesmere Port and Chester. At the end of the day, if Townsville not your 'cup of tea' there's lots of other nice places in Australia to try, but I don't think you'll be disappointed

John
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by John_R
Hi Joan

I have been in Townsville for 14 mths now and love it, no regrets whats so ever. I worked in Merseyside/cheshire region, predominately Ellesmere Port and Chester. At the end of the day, if Townsville not your 'cup of tea' there's lots of other nice places in Australia to try, but I don't think you'll be disappointed

John
Yeah thats very true, but I'm sure I'll really like it. Can't wait to get there

Joan
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

harryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by joan_mike
Yeah thats very true, but I'm sure I'll really like it. Can't wait to get there

Joan
Hi Joan,
Townsville is a beautiful place that's for sure, but don't be too optimistic with regards to mental health nursing. I'm a psychiatrist and OH is a MH nurse and we've both been shocked by how backward things are here. I don't want to rain on your parade but just to prepare you - it is manageable but just not up to what we were used to in the UK. This is purely because of the poor training of most MH nurses in Australia - they do general with an 8 week stint in MH: if they like it they move into it - minimal experience or training. This is where you may come into your own - if you push yourself forward you could get a really good position. Unfortunately coming from the UK we're never very good at promoting ourselves for fear of getting above our station - it's actually really important over here cos everyone is doing it with out justification. What you take for granted in UK is considered brand new and revolutionary over here so I'd recommend unless you're a new grad applying for an NO4 position - this is about I grade or Level 6 in UK. Also consider applying for Nurse Educator roles as you'd easily have the ability to do it - you may never have considered this before but believe you me you'd be fine!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harryed
Hi Joan,
Townsville is a beautiful place that's for sure, but don't be too optimistic with regards to mental health nursing. I'm a psychiatrist and OH is a MH nurse and we've both been shocked by how backward things are here
I'm glad you said it....I would have been accused of being negative

All of Queensland is in the dark ages mental health wise.

It is bad enough here in Brisbane....God knows what it is like in Townsville
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harryed
Also consider applying for Nurse Educator roles as you'd easily have the ability to do it - you may never have considered this before but believe you me you'd be fine!
Don't you believe it.

The system is designed to stop people "rocking the boat".

Raising someone's hopes too high is only likely to end in disappointment....and I talk as a MH service manager.

...and, no disrespect to you, but a big part of the problem is down to the consultant psychiatrists and the sychophantic way in which they are treated.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.