Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mending fly screens?

Mending fly screens?

Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:56 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mending fly screens?

Hi,

Is there anything you can buy to mend holes in fly screens? our 4yr old poked a hole the size of a 50c coin with a screwdriver bang in the middle of the sliding door fly screen (helping daddy with some DIY! dont know who done the better job )

Is there a patch or something you can buy or will the whole screen need replacing

Thanks

Donna.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Mending fly screens?

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi,

Is there anything you can buy to mend holes in fly screens? our 4yr old poked a hole the size of a 50c coin with a screwdriver bang in the middle of the sliding door fly screen (helping daddy with some DIY! dont know who done the better job )

Is there a patch or something you can buy or will the whole screen need replacing

Thanks

Donna.
I would say that you would need to replace the whole thing - perhaps go to a Bunnings or Mitre 10 and ask. They're pretty helpful!!

If you do need to repair it - it's very easy. Just buy the correct length of screen wire from a hardware and then if you look at the one side of the screen these is a groove with a long piece of rubber pushed into the groove, holding the wire in. Take that rubber out which will release the old wire. Put the new wire over the door - you need to have at least 3cms overhang and then using a bluntish screw driver - push the rubber piping back into the groove to hold the wire in place....Does that make sense???!!!!! Hope so!!

Good Luck!!!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks

Donna.
Check out this months Better Homes and Gardes magazine.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:32 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nmccallum
I would say that you would need to replace the whole thing - perhaps go to a Bunnings or Mitre 10 and ask. They're pretty helpful!!

If you do need to repair it - it's very easy. Just buy the correct length of screen wire from a hardware and then if you look at the one side of the screen these is a groove with a long piece of rubber pushed into the groove, holding the wire in. Take that rubber out which will release the old wire. Put the new wire over the door - you need to have at least 3cms overhang and then using a bluntish screw driver - push the rubber piping back into the groove to hold the wire in place....Does that make sense???!!!!! Hope so!!

Good Luck!!!
Thankyou

Donna.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:52 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw some double sided butterflys that you can put over the hole, they were in a penny miller catalogue. Think they were $6.99 for a set of three. Said they were great for covering holes without the need to replace the whole screen. don't know if it works out cheaper to replace the lot though!

Tracey
Old Sep 16th 2005, 12:04 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

Donna.
Bloody kids, mine used his toy spade to do it.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by diddy
Bloody kids, mine used his toy spade to do it.
So you can fix a fly screen with a toy spade????
Old Sep 16th 2005, 12:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a plastic mesh you can buy stickers that hve a mesh-like imprint on. (being pedantic, you can buy them anyway <g>)

They are supposed to be stuck on just one side but I have always done a sticker each side for strength. They CAN be seen but are very effective.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:14 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

I use selloptape.

No really I do. Lots of our flyscreens have bits of sellotape on them to cover holes.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:52 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to replace a flyscreen, say, on a patio door?
Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:04 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Cool Re: Mending fly screens?

Thanks for that too! I need to fix one of ours this weekend and was wondering how they worked.

One of our dogs decided he'd make a quick escape through the door. it came as a bit of a shock to him as he burst through the netting that it wasn't open afterall.... but not as much as a shock as i got, while i was sat on the other side, when he came bursting through with a crash!! (i swear my heart missed a beat or two!)

does anyone know how much the security screens are??? i'd love to see him jump through one of those!! mwwahahaha.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:57 am

This fly screen is a fine wire mesh stuff,funny louise never bothered touching/destroying it in our last house

The more ive looked this morning the more holes ive found on two doors

Thanks for all your ideas,will go to Bunnings tomorrow & see what my options are!

Donna.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 9:33 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

This fly screen is a fine wire mesh stuff,funny louise never bothered touching/destroying it in our last house

The more ive looked this morning the more holes ive found on two doors

Thanks for all your ideas,will go to Bunnings tomorrow & see what my options are!

Donna.
Hi Donna,

When I was out shopping the other day I noticed you can buy patches of the wire mesh to repair holes..I think I was in Big W or it may have been kmart... it may be a bit cheaper and easier than replacing the whole screen.

Carol
Old Sep 16th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Fly Screen you say - make mine a flanilla with a flake!!!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by spalen
Hi Donna,

When I was out shopping the other day I noticed you can buy patches of the wire mesh to repair holes..I think I was in Big W or it may have been kmart... it may be a bit cheaper and easier than replacing the whole screen.

Carol

Thanks Carol,

To be honest i cant be bothered replacing the whole fly screen,would rather by something to patch it up,just incase Loui strikes again come the time we have to leave this house then we'll get it replaced.

Donna.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.