Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - what's good and what's bad?

Melbourne - what's good and what's bad?

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - what's good and what's bad?

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Ah... You've seen the light.
I thought she had...

make no mistake there are parallel universes here in Australia - the sooner people realise this, the better.

There is no glummer expat or migrant than one living in a place they don't particularly like, and with no knowledge of anything, or prospect of anything, being better.

It never ceases to amaze to me!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Frankston, Glen Waverley and Oakleigh all do have hight streets but they're not places you want to go to spend an afternoon out. Shops at Glen Waverley are rubbish and Frankston is a shithole with Oakleigh being not much better. Not even comparable to places such as Toorak, St. Kilda, Sth Yarra, Elwood, Hampton etc.

Clayton's also a shithole. Can't speak for Berwick, haven't been down that way for years but Narre Warren is a shithole.
When did you last go to Oakleigh? i only recently went there and thought it was one of the more interesting outer/inner suburbs i have seen in Melbourne so far.

The place was packed on a tuesday lunchtime, loads of cafes and all busy.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwijack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Agn4y7rv8g

2008 was a bad fly year ! Not been too bad since.
I arrived mid december 2007, walked out of the airport and immediately was attacked by flies. They were horrible for the next 3 months and i remember thinking if it's like this every summer i am leaving. This year they have been virtually non existent.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:51 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Agree.

We're staying put because although we are part of the SE we feel divorced from it, sort of out of sight, out of mind(!) But we got lucky with location.
SHHHHH!!!!!

Dont tell them all, otherwise the place will be full of poms before you know it! Its already full of Clog wogs (dutch)

(Dont tell the wife & kids I said that about the Dutch )
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:58 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Frankston, Glen Waverley and Oakleigh all do have hight streets but they're not places you want to go to spend an afternoon out. Shops at Glen Waverley are rubbish and Frankston is a shithole with Oakleigh being not much better. Not even comparable to places such as Toorak, St. Kilda, Sth Yarra, Elwood, Hampton etc.

Clayton's also a shithole. Can't speak for Berwick, haven't been down that way for years but Narre Warren is a shithole.
This.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

And expect to be paying upwards of $700/week.
You're talking out of your arse. Why don't you quote the whole sentence instead of just part of it. I clearly went on to say that you can find 3 bed/1 bath in the price range but the properties might be a bit hit and miss. Even better - why don't you do a realestate.com search for Port Melbourne $500 - $550 3 bed and see what comes up. I live in Port Melbourne and know the area very well.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:56 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts on Coburg ??
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Any thoughts on Coburg ??
Busy traffic-wise, very mixed culturally, not too far out of the city. We looked there to buy and there are nice streets. We ended up somewhere quieter and less urban because We couldn't face the constant traffic jams, even at the weekend...
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:43 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Busy traffic-wise, very mixed culturally, not too far out of the city. We looked there to buy and there are nice streets. We ended up somewhere quieter and less urban because We couldn't face the constant traffic jams, even at the weekend...
Thankfully i don't drive,cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully i don't drive,cheers
Sorted then!
I would definitely consider Coburg and surrounding burbs if I didn't have the 2 sprogs to ferry around
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamSi
You're talking out of your arse. Why don't you quote the whole sentence instead of just part of it. I clearly went on to say that you can find 3 bed/1 bath in the price range but the properties might be a bit hit and miss. Even better - why don't you do a realestate.com search for Port Melbourne $500 - $550 3 bed and see what comes up. I live in Port Melbourne and know the area very well.
A 3 bed in Port Melbourne for around $500 would be a dump. I know that area really well also as I live locally too. My flat is a 2 bed and i'm paying more than that.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:15 pm
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Sorted then!
I would definitely consider Coburg and surrounding burbs if I didn't have the 2 sprogs to ferry around
Sorry love i don't babysit outside of work
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:25 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Ah... You've seen the light.
PMSL!! I saw the light a long time ago. Before I moved a whacking 4 Ks down the hill I used to live in Harkaway....Nice 1/2 acre block, but our house was too small after an unexpected arrival..... so we had to have "more house" Now we are moving up to the hills, where thankfully, we can have both....
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry love i don't babysit outside of work
Damn! And here I was awaiting your arrival to Melbourne with baited breath
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hevs
PMSL!! I saw the light a long time ago. Before I moved a whacking 4 Ks down the hill I used to live in Harkaway....Nice 1/2 acre block, but our house was too small after an unexpected arrival..... so we had to have "more house" Now we are moving up to the hills, where thankfully, we can have both....
I'll look out for your lorry going past then. Going far?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.