Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - what's good and what's bad?

Melbourne - what's good and what's bad?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:56 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Melbourne - what's good and what's bad?

Yeah but the difference is that Melbourne is wealthy and Christchurch is poor. 3x1 townhouse to many young Australians is a big house. Some small townhouses in Melbourne and Sydney 15-20 mins out can cost a couple mill each.

If Christchurch is soo good then why are you leaving?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I'm not talking about the shops themselves, it's the malls they can be in. Have you ever been to the shopping mecca of Brandon Park?
Not been to Brandon Park. And not talking about malls either. The shops I listed are all on our main street, with no through traffic and plenty of space for cafe tables.

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Try living out in the suburbs and see how many great strips of shopping, eating and bustling high streets there are... Non existent is a good description.
It really depends where you live. We're in Montmorency and it's got all I described above. But Greensborough next door is pretty dire, with a big indoors shopping centre and a rather depressing hight street. Eltham is better but the high street is a through road so not as nice as Monty.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Around where I live I can think of many - Mordialloc, Mentone, Black Rock, Hampton, Brighton, and further in Elwood and St Kilda, and that's just the ones along the bay.

I would agree that they are very lacking in the new estates though.

BB
Indeed!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie

If Christchurch is soo good then why are you leaving?
Well, first of all I never said Christchurch was soo good, although there are plenty of things we like about the city. But there are many reasons for us deciding to leave. NZ is a fab country to live in terms of lifestyle, but not financially. Hubby could increase his take home salary by a minimum of 50% (after tax and medicare levy), and in reality he'd be more likely to *almost* double his take home salary. This isn't wishful thinking, we've done the serious research and already have an extensive network of contacts in Oz.

And then of course there is the fact that we've just gone through a bloody great big earthquake. It's put our nerves on edge and we no longer sleep well at night with all the aftershocks. This is not a healthy way to live long term.

And lastly, we want to give Oz a try because we are young enough that we still can. What better reason is there than that really?

Originally Posted by Weebie
Yeah but the difference is that Melbourne is wealthy and Christchurch is poor. 3x1 townhouse to many young Australians is a big house. Some small townhouses in Melbourne and Sydney 15-20 mins out can cost a couple mill each.
Bit of a generalisaion. There are plenty of poorer areas of Christchurch, but there are also some very nice areas that are well outside our price range, where we couldn't even afford to rent a flat. But I'm not here to ask about areas I can't afford to rent, I interested in those areas I can.

Last edited by Pine Cone; Feb 2nd 2011 at 6:30 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Well that is one thing we can sort of answer, having tried most of the above over the past few years. Basically we're not bothered about a big house for the next few years. We'd rather rent somewhere smaller like a 3 bed townhouse (with garage) with a small low maintenance courtyard garden and a) live close-ish to the CBD in a convenient nice area with good schools that we couldn't afford to rent a larger house in, or b) live further out but within an hours commute, in a family friendly suburb, but still keep our rental costs down so we have more spare cash for commuting and getting out and about at weekends. Currently we're paying NZ$550 per week for a small 3 bed townhouse (with a garage but non-existant garden) in a convenient area, and walking distance to a decile 10 school. That works out about AU$425 per week. We are anticipating paying more than this in Oz, given the cost of living is higher. However, trying to work out how much more is reasonable is like trying to measure a piece of string without a ruler.

Other than that, we have young children so have no interest in bars or going out in the evenings as that only ever happens when we have relatives visiting who can babysit. We do like being relatively close to nice areas where we can get decent coffee at the weekend, but not so convenient there is a risk of us popping out for coffee too often or we'd end up frittering our money away too easily.

As for the rest, we don't care if it's hilly ot flat, or beachside or not. Ideally we would like to be within 15 minutes drive of a beach - one where car parking is not horrendous, but this part could be wishful thinking. And if we are further out of the city, we'd rather locate ourselves close to reasonable public transport links.
You might wish to consider around Oakleigh in the South East. It has a busy town centre, coffee shops, train station, and around 30 mins from the sea - if you don't mind driving 15 minutes longer. Your budget should be OK for there.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Around where I live I can think of many - Mordialloc, Mentone, Black Rock, Hampton, Brighton, and further in Elwood and St Kilda, and that's just the ones along the bay.
I wouldn't classify either one of those areas as suburbs but more bayside towns and Hampton and Brighton are quite upper class.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
It really depends where you live. We're in Montmorency and it's got all I described above. But Greensborough next door is pretty dire, with a big indoors shopping centre and a rather depressing hight street. Eltham is better but the high street is a through road so not as nice as Monty.
How about Mount Waverley, Glen Waverley, Holmesglen, Sunshine, Broadmeadows, Mulgrave, Ringwood, Scoresby, Burwood, Frankston, Knox, Chadstone, Moorabbin, Oakleigh, Doncaster...

I could go on...

Not a decent high street in sight (although a few shopping centres).
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:12 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Try living out in the suburbs and see how many great strips of shopping, eating and bustling high streets there are... Non existent is a good description.
I seriously have no idea where you live, but we have a bustling high street and just thinking off hand I can think of heaps. That said there are lots of Westfields and TBH I prefer them on a 30 plus day....But they are out there.

Another poster said about shut down over winter? Dont get that at all. Then again my winter is schedualed around the footie But theres loads to do, and also the snow to visit!

What I love?...so much...Everything!!...apart from....

The Monash freeway during rush hour and the morons who drive on it
At times it gets too hot, dusty and yellow
The bush fire/ total fire ban days can be pretty scary
Its expensive. Houses, utilities, food, everything!
My local council are diabolical for just everything.....
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:22 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

How about Mount Waverley, Glen Waverley, Holmesglen, Sunshine, Broadmeadows, Mulgrave, Ringwood, Scoresby, Burwood, Frankston, Knox, Chadstone, Moorabbin, Oakleigh, Doncaster...

I could go on...

Not a decent high street in sight (although a few shopping centres).
I'm pretty sure Frankston has a hight street, and Oakleigh (and theres a market there I believe) Doesnt Glen waveley have like a square all around the glen? (Havent been for ages, but sure there were lots of other shops? Clayton has a very busy main street, as does Berwick, old Narre, Belgrave, FTG, theres a very small, but busy one both Emerald and Beaconsfield....All have banks, independant grocers/ butchers etc. Coffee shops and bakeries a plenty....Berwick has a large amount or boutique/ one off shops.....
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Kiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond repute

Chch vs Melbourne

Commuting - You may find yourself doing some serious commuting. Under an hour is good. Up to 2 hours each way is not uncommon. And an accident on the freeway or a rail problem can add an hour or two. Big commuting will be part of your daily working life especially if you have kids and will be wanting to head out to the outer suburbs. Nothing in Chch will prepare you for this commuting.

Beachside - If you want to stretch your budget in Chch you can live in a great seaside suburb like Sumner (or close by in Mt Pleasant). This is not an option in Melbourne. $550 (aus $) would get you a nice damp-ridden weatherboard at best. And bayside beaches aren't great (no surf, bit grubby)

If you can work outside of Melbourne, you might want to check out Torquay on the Surf Coast which is a bit like a big Sumner (with the population size of Rangiora). Good surf, real beaches, lots of cafes and shops, holiday atmosphere.

Health issues - Lots of people smoke compared to Chch and obesity is a big issue. Not just a bit overweight (as a few of us might be ) but there is a significant number of people who are obscenely fat. If you have young kids you may want to consider that moving to Melbourne may change their perception of health. Walk around Sumner everyday for a week and you'd be hard pushed to see an obese peson or many people smoking. Get off the train on the way to work in Melbourne and you'll be slicing your way through the smoke as half the train passengers light up as they exit the platform. Walk round the CBD and you'll be dodging groups of smokers or walking behind them in their smoke wake. It's unpleasant. At my kids first school the parents used to regularly bring in KFC for the kids at lunchtime and then stand around in groups smoking (parents that is). Bit of a shock from Chch.

In general - No easterly wind Some years are a bit bush fly plagued I like the odd 40 degree day. Houses generally have aircon and good central heating - unlike Chch houses which generally lack either. Salary and tax benefits are great.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne - what's good and what's bad?

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Currently we're paying NZ$550 per week for a small 3 bed townhouse (with a garage but non-existant garden) in a convenient area, and walking distance to a decile 10 school. That works out about AU$425 per week. We are anticipating paying more than this in Oz, given the cost of living is higher.
$425 per week would get you a 3 bed house in my area, 45 mins to the city, 15 mins walk to the beach.

This is how much we paid in our rental until we moved into our own place a year ago.

BB
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Check out Brighton East and St Kilda East. Some perfectly ok 3bed/1 bath houses/townhouses to be had in the $500 - $550pw range but garage would be unlikely. Both handy for the beach, shops, transport to the CBD etc. Or, you can also find 3 bed houses in likes of Port Melbourne, South Melbourne - even better location-wise with a great cafe scene, lots of young families and singletons, on the beach yet cbd on your doorstep but some (well, most!) properties will be a bit hit and miss. Or, if you want a bigger/nicer house with a garage - just keep heading along the bay till you find a suburb you like and can afford. Mentone and Mordiallic are perfectly ok, just a bit further out and more family-orientated.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to say what is bad - it can get too hot at times - but mates tell me that they find Perth a lot hotter. I don't personally like the suburbs unless they are established - ~25 years?

Someone will probably tell you that the flies and the crime is bad. We haven't had one big fly-day here this entire spring summer season I have noticed, and it is not the case that you are guaranteed to see a member of the mafia every time you go to lunch.

Originally Posted by hevs
...Berwick has a large amount or boutique/ one off shops.....
Which is great as I love buying one-offs.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

$425 per week would get you a 3 bed house in my area, 45 mins to the city, 15 mins walk to the beach.

This is how much we paid in our rental until we moved into our own place a year ago.

BB
Our 3 bed, 2 carports, small courtyard, hot-as-an-oven-in-summer, cold-as-a-freezer-in-winter townhouse in Hawthorn (6 km from CBD, quite expensive/posh suburb) was rented out to new tenants for $480/week when we left last year (we were paying $435 ). The place was good, with largish rooms and although not modern, in good repair. So you can find decent rentals close to the CBD.
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Someone will probably tell you that the flies and the crime is bad. We haven't had one big fly-day here this entire spring summer season I have noticed, and it is not the case that you are guaranteed to see a member of the mafia every time you go to lunch.

Which is great as I love buying one-offs.
What is it with people and flies in Melbourne.
I've been here 8 years, lived near the bay, near the CBD and further out inland and I can't say that I have ever been bothered by flies At least not to the point that I would mention them as a con to living in Melbourne.
Only time I can remember them being a nuisance in Victoria was in the Grampians around Christmas time. Now, in the Red Centre, there ARE flies... Many, many, many, many flies
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Jan/Feb 2008 was bad for flies - think they were desperate due to the drought. I'd cycle to work through a park and have a whole swarm trying to follow me. Still, easiest way to get rid of them was to ride past somebody walking
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hevs
I'm pretty sure Frankston has a hight street, and Oakleigh (and theres a market there I believe) Doesnt Glen waveley have like a square all around the glen? (Havent been for ages, but sure there were lots of other shops? Clayton has a very busy main street, as does Berwick, old Narre, Belgrave, FTG, theres a very small, but busy one both Emerald and Beaconsfield....All have banks, independant grocers/ butchers etc. Coffee shops and bakeries a plenty....Berwick has a large amount or boutique/ one off shops.....
Frankston, Glen Waverley and Oakleigh all do have hight streets but they're not places you want to go to spend an afternoon out. Shops at Glen Waverley are rubbish and Frankston is a shithole with Oakleigh being not much better. Not even comparable to places such as Toorak, St. Kilda, Sth Yarra, Elwood, Hampton etc.

Clayton's also a shithole. Can't speak for Berwick, haven't been down that way for years but Narre Warren is a shithole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.