Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - Westpac or CBA?

Melbourne - Westpac or CBA?

Old Sep 16th 2005, 9:49 am
Melbourne bound

paul_d will become famous soon enoughpaul_d will become famous soon enough
Default Melbourne - Westpac or CBA?

I'm off to Melbourne in the not too distant future, and I'm trying to decide which bank to go with. Any one got an opinion on which is best in Melbourne?

All comments gratefully received.

Paul.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Melbourne - Westpac or CBA?

Originally Posted by paul_d
I'm off to Melbourne in the not too distant future, and I'm trying to decide which bank to go with. Any one got an opinion on which is best in Melbourne?

All comments gratefully received.

Paul.
Take your pick - NAB, CBA, Westpac, ANZ. People seem to have strong preferences, but to me they are all much of a muchness and all c**p compared to UK banks - yes, I know that's hard to believe, but it's true.

CBA and NAB are the two biggest retail banks by far. CBA have the most extensive branch network, NAB are the biggest lenders. Don't think it makes much difference. What's there to choose between Barclays, Lloyds, NatWest, HSBC? - bugger all - and it's the same in Oz.

Phil
Old Sep 16th 2005, 12:55 pm
Melbourne bound

paul_d will become famous soon enoughpaul_d will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PhilShila
Take your pick - NAB, CBA, Westpac, ANZ. People seem to have strong preferences, but to me they are all much of a muchness and all c**p compared to UK banks - yes, I know that's hard to believe, but it's true.

CBA and NAB are the two biggest retail banks by far. CBA have the most extensive branch network, NAB are the biggest lenders. Don't think it makes much difference. What's there to choose between Barclays, Lloyds, NatWest, HSBC? - bugger all - and it's the same in Oz.

Phil
Thanks Phil.
I'll concentrate on CBA and NAB. I was with CBA in Sydney when I lived there a while back and they weren't very good, but based on their website they seem to have come on a bit since then.
I mostly use telephone banking, but it is nice to know you can visit a branch when you need to.

Paul.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_d
Thanks Phil.
I'll concentrate on CBA and NAB. I was with CBA in Sydney when I lived there a while back and they weren't very good, but based on their website they seem to have come on a bit since then.
I mostly use telephone banking, but it is nice to know you can visit a branch when you need to.

Paul.
Paul - NAB. Then again I may be biased as I've just joined them.

Enjoy Melbourne, we arrived a month ago and love it.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Paul - NAB. Then again I may be biased as I've just joined them.

Enjoy Melbourne, we arrived a month ago and love it.

Ok - I was trying to be impartial, but I also work for NAB (in London), although I'm currently over in Melbourne for a business trip. So NAB then.

Phil